Clojure, swank-clojure, and Debian

Javier

Mar 14, 2009, 5:22:15 AM3/14/09
to Clojure
Hello, I'm trying to start learning Clojure, but I fail miserably at
some point trying to get a decent IDE to work.

- First, Enclojure for Netbeans has lot of bugs, it is inusable for me
at this stage.
- I'm not used to Eclipse nor Intellijea, so I discard both.
- I'm used to Emacs, and have used Slime and SBCL with success before,
but I must admit that it was too easy: all I had to do is apt-get
install sbcl slime.

So I found this guide:

http://riddell.us/clojure/

It is for Ubuntu, but I do not see that the process could not be the
same for Debian.

I followed the entire guide, checked and rechecked everything. But
when I want to start slime, I get:

(add-classpath "file:////home/javi/program/clojure/swank-clojure/")

(require 'swank.swank)

(swank.swank/ignore-protocol-version "2009-03-09")

(swank.swank/start-server "/tmp/slime.20900" :encoding "iso-latin-1-
unix")

Clojure
user=> nil
user=> java.lang.Exception: Unable to resolve symbol: lazy-seq in this
context (core.clj:70)
user=> java.lang.Exception: No such var: swank.swank/ignore-protocol-
version (NO_SOURCE_FILE:5)
user=> java.lang.Exception: No such var: swank.swank/start-server
(NO_SOURCE_FILE:7)
user=>

And Slime refuses to full start.

I am just in the point of giving up and forget Clojure, so please help
me.
What I missed?

Thank you.

Javier

Mar 14, 2009, 6:42:45 AM3/14/09
to Clojure
Ok, I can answer myself, thanks to maacl in the IRC:

Download clojure-mode:

git clone git://github.com/jochu/clojure-mode.git

And put this:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/clojure-mode")
(require 'clojure-mode)

in .emacs, restart, and M-x clojure-install.

Really fantastic.

The guide I tried to follow is just broken.

Thank you.

Allen Rohner

Mar 14, 2009, 4:29:48 PM3/14/09
to Clojure
Yeah, sorry about that. Clojure continues to have breaking changes
because it's still young, and SLIME refuses to have a stable release,
so it's sometimes hard to coordinate the two. Welcome to the bleeding
edge!

Allen