Tryclojure - A Call To Action

Rayne

Nov 4, 2010, 5:49:05 PM11/4/10
to Clojure
http://blog.acidrayne.net/?p=25

I wrote this blog post in the hopes that I can motivate people to
contribute to tryclojure. http://try-clojure.org is a relatively
important website that is unfortunately subpar. I hope that with the
community's help, we can turn it into something spectacular.

box

Nov 4, 2010, 7:36:09 PM11/4/10
to Clojure
really like the site. i like the tutorial section. it would be nice if
the site would focus more on examples.

On Nov 4, 5:49 pm, Rayne <disciplera...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://blog.acidrayne.net/?p=25
>
> I wrote this blog post in the hopes that I can motivate people to
> contribute to tryclojure.http://try-clojure.orgis a relatively

Rayne

Nov 4, 2010, 8:26:40 PM11/4/10
to Clojure
Right. One of the most important aspects of a site like this is it's
tutorial. The tutorial should be interactive, much like tryhaskell's
tutorial. That's one of the biggest things that needs to be done.

Beyond that, tutorial authors would be great as well. If somebody
feels like writing a tutorial section or improving the existing ones,
have at it. It's a great way to examine your own Clojure knowledge and
very helpfully contribute to the project at the same time.

On Nov 4, 6:36 pm, box <somethingital...@gmail.com> wrote:
> really like the site. i like the tutorial section. it would be nice if
> the site would focus more on examples.
>
> On Nov 4, 5:49 pm, Rayne <disciplera...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >http://blog.acidrayne.net/?p=25
>
> > I wrote this blog post in the hopes that I can motivate people to
> > contribute to tryclojure.http://try-clojure.orgisa relatively

Eric Lavigne

Nov 4, 2010, 8:40:51 PM11/4/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Last time I introduced someone to Clojure via try-clojure.org, he came
back later and said that the console ignored him after a while, and he
wasn't sure what he did wrong. We tried it together, and after a
couple minutes it stopped evaluating expressions. Does this bug sound
familiar? Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce it since.

I'm guessing this is related to the bugfixes in jquery-console that
you mentioned, so upgrading to the latest version of jquery-console is
the piece that I would want to take on.

For my own reference, these are the customizations you made to
jquery-console that I will need to watch out for:

https://github.com/Raynes/tryclojure/commits/master/resources/public/javascript/jquery.console.js

Rayne

Nov 4, 2010, 8:58:03 PM11/4/10
to Clojure
That would be great. Any sort of problems with the console are very
likely to be related to jquery-console, so updating it might fix them.

I actually hadn't heard of that bug. Probably not a good sign, since
it might mean that people spend very little time with tryclojure. ;)

On Nov 4, 7:40 pm, Eric Lavigne <lavigne.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Last time I introduced someone to Clojure via try-clojure.org, he came
> back later and said that the console ignored him after a while, and he
> wasn't sure what he did wrong. We tried it together, and after a
> couple minutes it stopped evaluating expressions. Does this bug sound
> familiar? Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce it since.
>
> I'm guessing this is related to the bugfixes in jquery-console that
> you mentioned, so upgrading to the latest version of jquery-console is
> the piece that I would want to take on.
>
> For my own reference, these are the customizations you made to
> jquery-console that I will need to watch out for:
>
>      https://github.com/Raynes/tryclojure/commits/master/resources/public/...
>

> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Rayne <disciplera...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >http://blog.acidrayne.net/?p=25
>
> > I wrote this blog post in the hopes that I can motivate people to
> > contribute to tryclojure.http://try-clojure.orgis a relatively

Ken Wesson

Nov 4, 2010, 9:03:57 PM11/4/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Rayne <discip...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That would be great. Any sort of problems with the console are very
> likely to be related to jquery-console, so updating it might fix them.
>
> I actually hadn't heard of that bug. Probably not a good sign, since
> it might mean that people spend very little time with tryclojure. ;)

Inability to paste into the repl at tryclojure is also a problem.

pete mcquain

Nov 4, 2010, 9:04:54 PM11/4/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com

I would love to help out.  I'm new to closure, but I'm a web dev by day.  What can I do?

Eric Lavigne

Nov 4, 2010, 9:15:02 PM11/4/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Pete,

Would you feel comfortable working on the jquery-console upgrade?
That's entirely a Javascript issue, and I'd be happy to find another
piece to work on. I actually prefer working in Clojure, and only took
on the jquery-console upgrade task because it seemed important.

Let me know if you're going to do the jquery-console upgrade, in which
case I'll choose one of the other tasks.

Eric

Rayne

Nov 4, 2010, 9:27:06 PM11/4/10
to Clojure
I'm not sure, but I think I might have convinced Chris Done to allow
pasting into the REPL. In any case, all tutorial examples are
clickable (they are thrown into the REPL), which was my way of trying
to work around those issues. Anybody is welcome to patch tryclojure's
version of jquery-console (after the upgrade). However, if we start
making changes like this, it might be a good idea to fork the jquery-
console repository for our version.

On Nov 4, 8:03 pm, Ken Wesson <kwess...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Rayne <disciplera...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That would be great. Any sort of problems with the console are very
> > likely to be related to jquery-console, so updating it might fix them.
>
> > I actually hadn't heard of that bug. Probably not a good sign, since
> > it might mean that people spend very little time with tryclojure. ;)
>
> Inability to paste into the repl at tryclojure is also a problem.

There is lots to do! If you're decent with web design, then check out
the current design and see if you can make it better. I'm sure the
HTML is a mess, and heaven knows the CSS is probably a disaster, so
maybe you can help out with that. Making tryclojure look good is
important as well.

Beyond that, we have JavaScript stuff to do as well. Like Eric said,
jquery-console needs to be upgraded, and we need an interactive
tutorial a la tryhaskell.org, so that is some stuff you could look
into as well.

pete mcquain

Nov 4, 2010, 9:28:02 PM11/4/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com

Sounds good to me. I'll start looking into it.

Rayne

Nov 4, 2010, 9:39:55 PM11/4/10
to Clojure
I'd like to remind you guys that if you plan to work on something,
please create an issue for it on Github and let me know, so that I can
assign your name to it with a tag and we can avoid duplicating work.

pete mcquain

Nov 4, 2010, 10:22:16 PM11/4/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com

Ok, sounds good (branch).  What stack/host is it being hosted on now?I've got a couple crazy AppEngine ideas that have been floating around for the past week or so.  Could be a good dogfooding example in itself.
-Pete -

Vilson Vieira

Nov 4, 2010, 8:35:43 PM11/4/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Rayne I loved try clojure! Congrats! I really want to help but running
out of time for now. I'll take my hands on that as soon as possible.

Cheers.

2010/11/4 Rayne <discip...@gmail.com>:

> --

Vilson Vieira

vil...@void.cc

((( http://automata.cc )))

((( http://musa.cc )))

Vilson Vieira

Nov 4, 2010, 10:43:07 PM11/4/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
2010/11/4 Rayne <discip...@gmail.com>:

> There is lots to do! If you're decent with web design, then check out
> the current design and see if you can make it better. I'm sure the
> HTML is a mess, and heaven knows the CSS is probably a disaster, so
> maybe you can help out with that. Making tryclojure look good is
> important as well.

tryhaskell is a clone of why_'s tryruby [1]. We can do the same...

[1] https://github.com/Sophrinix/TryRuby

Rayne

Nov 4, 2010, 11:07:58 PM11/4/10
to Clojure
It's currently hosted on Heinz's (Licenser's) server, which runs
apache.

On Nov 4, 9:22 pm, pete mcquain <pete.mcqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, sounds good (branch).  What stack/host is it being hosted on now?I've
> got a couple crazy AppEngine ideas that have been floating around for the
> past week or so.  Could be a good dogfooding example in itself.
> -Pete -

I wouldn't be opposed to a try[ruby|haskell]ish design. The designs
are very pretty. If anybody wants to go that route, I'd love to see
the results. :>

On Nov 4, 9:43 pm, Vilson Vieira <vil...@void.cc> wrote:

Rayne

Nov 4, 2010, 11:40:17 PM11/4/10
to Clojure
Not to discourage discussion here, but in case anybody missed it in
the blog post, we have a google group now if anybody wants to discuss
what they're doing, considering doing, or any ideas.
http://groups.google.com/group/tryclojure