Clojure on Android

David Blubaugh

May 20, 2010, 12:37:03 PM5/20/10
to Clojure
To All,

Has anyone yet ported clojure to the android cellphones at this
time ?? I want to develop applications for the Android cellphones by
utilizing a dialect of the lisp programming language

David

rob levy

May 20, 2010, 3:21:22 PM5/20/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Check-out http://github.com/remvee/clojurehelloandroid

I'm surprised we don't hear more talk of people doing this.  It's on my list of things to do too (I just got an mp3 player that runs Android 1.6 and I'm going to start with Remvee's Hello World example).

Rob

rob levy

May 20, 2010, 3:25:31 PM5/20/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com

Mike Meyer

May 20, 2010, 5:50:05 PM5/20/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com, r.p....@gmail.com
[Format recovered from top posting.

> On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 3:21 PM, rob levy <r.p....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM, David Blubaugh <
> > davidblu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Has anyone yet ported clojure to the android cellphones at this
> >> time ?? I want to develop applications for the Android cellphones by
> >> utilizing a dialect of the lisp programming language
> >
> > Check-out http://github.com/remvee/clojurehelloandroid
> >
> > I'm surprised we don't hear more talk of people doing this. It's on my
> > list of things to do too (I just got an mp3 player that runs Android 1.6 and
> > I'm going to start with Remvee's Hello World example).

Me as well, except the Android SDK doesn't run on any of my native
desktops, so I'm going the longer way 'round...

For a REPL on your phone, try here:

http://groups.google.com/group/clojure/browse_thread/thread/14725172c626642c?pli=1

Clojure on Android isn't hard to set up, but performance isn't very
good. IIRC, there are two issues: both reflection and GC - which
Clojure tends to use heavily - are slow on Dalvik. Possibly Froyo will
help with that.

<mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org> http://www.mired.org/consulting.html

Remco van 't Veer

May 21, 2010, 9:32:11 AM5/21/10
On 2010/05/20 23:50, Mike Meyer wrote:

> Clojure on Android isn't hard to set up, but performance isn't very
> good. IIRC, there are two issues: both reflection and GC - which
> Clojure tends to use heavily - are slow on Dalvik. Possibly Froyo will
> help with that.

Froyo will include JIT for dalvik. I doubt this will solve either the
reflection or GC bottlenecks but who knows.

BTW the latest clojure may work on dalvik but probably won't due to
issue #199[1]. Checkout my clojure fork[2] for an ancient version of
clojure that does work on dalvik.

Good luck!

Regards,
Remco

[1] http://www.assembla.com/spaces/clojure/tickets/199
[2] http://github.com/remvee/clojure

Jimmy

May 21, 2010, 8:57:02 AM5/21/10
to Clojure
Android 2.2 will have a JIT added to the VM which is reportedly
improving performance anywhere between 2x to 5x. Lets hope Clojure
get this type of speed improvement on Android.

Remco van 't Veer

May 25, 2010, 11:24:56 AM5/25/10
to Remco van 't Veer, clo...@googlegroups.com, r.p....@gmail.com
On 2010/05/21 15:32, Remco van 't Veer wrote:

> BTW the latest clojure may work on dalvik but probably won't due to
> issue #199[1]. Checkout my clojure fork[2] for an ancient version of
> clojure that does work on dalvik.

I just confirmed the current master branch does run on dalvikvm. See my
message on the dev list for details;

http://groups.google.com/group/clojure-dev/browse_thread/thread/39dea259d41e19df

Regards,
Remco