neo4j-clojure

Julian Morrison

Dec 6, 2008, 4:15:59 PM12/6/08
to Clojure
A wrapper for neo4j, which is a non-relational database using a
network of nodes with properties and traversable relationships.

This is my first Clojure wrapper library, I've tried to keep the
spirit of Clojure by only wrapping things that were verbose or un-
lispy. Please comment and critique. Patches welcome.

http://github.com/JulianMorrison/neo4j-clojure/tree/master

Dave Newton

Dec 6, 2008, 4:43:37 PM12/6/08
to clo...@googlegroups.com
--- On Sat, 12/6/08, Julian Morrison wrote:
> A wrapper for neo4j, which is a non-relational database
> using [...] traversable relationships.

Hey, wait...

Dave

Randall R Schulz

Dec 6, 2008, 4:55:01 PM12/6/08
to clo...@googlegroups.com

OK. But I can't hold my breath forever...

> Dave

RRS

jim

Dec 6, 2008, 5:09:43 PM12/6/08
to Clojure
Hey, I was just looking at neo4j last night. Can you point me to any
papers about the theory behind those kinds of a databases?

Thanks,
Jim

Julian Morrison

Dec 6, 2008, 5:12:14 PM12/6/08
to Clojure
A relationship and a relation are different things. Relation means
more or less "table". There are no tables in neo4j, only anonymous
nodes, properties of those nodes, and named connections
("relationships") between nodes.

Julian Morrison

Dec 6, 2008, 5:23:05 PM12/6/08
to Clojure
Not papers, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_database
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigational_database

Neo4j is basically a really old design refreshed. The advantages are
that it's fast, dynamic, and schema-free, and fairly lispy in its
inherently recursive structure. The disadvantages are that it's messy,
can't be "joined" but only traversed (this is bad especially for data
mining and reporting), is hard to data dump, and at the moment neo4j
runs in-process with no multi-user access.

Marcus Dübois

Dec 7, 2008, 6:04:22 AM12/7/08
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

first off I'd like to say that I'm new to Clojure and this list, I've
just been using it for
a day or so, but I really like what I'm seeing so far. Count me in!

> Not papers, but...

Julian, I disagree with you on that point, but finding the papers may
be a little difficult.
We (Stockholm University) funded a lot of the neo4j project for using
it as a node in
our OpenMetadir (http://www.openmetadir.org/) implementation. There
are some documents
there but however I really recommend reading up on RDF (http://www.w3.org/RDF/
) which
is what the tripple-store is using.

If you have any more questions I'd love to help out.

May I ask what you're going to use neo4j for?

Kind regards
Marcus