doc-tests for clojure--please give my library a try!

Andy Kish

Sep 17, 2009, 2:15:24 AM9/17/09
to Clojure
Hi all,

I've been playing with clojure for a few weeks now, and it's a good
time. One deficiency I've noticed is that the clojure api and
clojure.contrib documentation is really lacking in simple examples. I
do python for my day job and I really like what doctests have done for
the python documentation culture. There are simple examples of a
function's use in its documentation, and those examples are verified
to be correct.

I threw together a clojure namespace to do the same:
http://github.com/Kobold/clj-doc-test

Right now it is very simplistic, but it works. I've tried to make it
integrate as seamlessly as possible by writing it on top of
clojure.test. If this seems like a good idea, I'd eventually like to
go through clojure.contrib and add doc-tests to those. I'm happy to do
it myself to improve clojure's documentation.

Feedback on both the idea of doc-testing and my code are very welcome!
The introduction I wrote to doc-test is below.

Thanks!
Andy Kish.

-------------------------------------

doc-test is a Clojure namespace that provides Python-like doctests
[1].

WHY DOC-TEST?
-------------

Examples are very useful in documentation and help to clarify the
meaning of descriptions. Take #'clojure.set/join:

"When passed 2 rels, returns the rel corresponding to the natural
join. When passed an additional keymap, joins on the corresponding
keys."

Que? A simple example is much more clear for someone reading the docs
for the first time:

(def languages
#{{:name "C" :type "procedural"}
{:name "Clojure" :type "functional"}
{:name "Haskell" :type "functional"}})
(def fun-level
#{{:type "procedural" :funness "meh"}
{:type "functional" :funness "awesome"}})

=> (clojure.set/join languages fun-level)
#{{:name "Haskell", :type "functional", :funness "awesome"}
{:name "Clojure", :type "functional", :funness "awesome"}
{:name "C", :type "procedural", :funness "meh"}}

Awesome. The only problem is that sometimes documentation and actual
code fall out of sync with each other. Doc-tests provide a way to
assure that doesn't happen. The examples in the documentation are
tested with the rest of the code!

HOW TO DOC-TEST
---------------

Here's an example function with some doc-tests:

(defn adder
"A simple function to test the doctest macro with.

=> ((adder 1) 2)
4 ; incorrect!
=> ((adder 4) 5)
9"
[n1]
(fn [n2] (+ n1 n2)))

To generate the tests from #'adder's doc-string:

(doc-test adder)

Put this wherever you've put the rest of your
#'clojure.test/deftests. When the above test is run this error occurs:

FAIL in (adder__doc-test__88) (doc_test_tests.clj:19)
expected: (clojure.core/= ((adder 1) 2) (quote 4))
actual: (not (clojure.core/= 3 4))

Doc-test makes efforts to make test failures easier to debug. Because
your documentation is turned into standard clojure.test declarations,
we see the failure display in the same way. The test name is the
symbol's name along with "__doc-test__". The expected and actual
statements are also exactly what was in the doc-string.

[1] http://docs.python.org/library/doctest.html
[2] http://clojure.org/API#toc662