towards definitive "getting started" assistance

1 view

Stuart Halloway

Mar 30, 2010, 1:12:27 PM3/30/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
The labrepl now has much better "getting started" instructions, thanks
to everyone who pitched in. But this begs the question: Why hide the
getting started instructions in a single project? So, I am working to
create definitive instructions for getting started with Clojure in a
variety of environments.

The goal:
A single source of truth that stays up to date.

The plan:
(1) Keep the instructions linked from a page in Assembla (http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/clojure/Getting_Started
). Assembla rather than clojure.org to help with maintenance, since
all CA signers can get on Assembla and pitch in.
(2) Link to the Assembla page from clojure.org (tbd soon).

What I (Stu) will commit to do:
(1) Edit and post new suggestions from the community.
(2) Review and test *some* of the suggestions.
(3) Flip the official bit (link from clojure.org) once y'all are happy.

Requested of you, the community:
(1) If you created, or are the expert on, some environment, please
feel free to either update the Assembla page directly, or send edits
to me.
(2) If you find a problem let me know.
(3) If you write or have written a blog post or article on setup
particulars, also link out to the Assembla page.
(4) Help me by reviewing and testing instructions.

Suggestions and comments welcome, as always.

Thanks!
Stu

Wilson MacGyver

Mar 30, 2010, 1:29:11 PM3/30/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I wrote an blog post on how to use clojure in gradle.
That may be of use as part of the "getting started"

http://m.3wa.com/?p=464

Thanks,

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Stuart Halloway
<stuart....@gmail.com> wrote:
> The labrepl now has much better "getting started" instructions, thanks to
> everyone who pitched in. But this begs the question: Why hide the getting
> started instructions in a single project? So, I am working to create
> definitive instructions for getting started with Clojure in a variety of
> environments.
>
> The goal:
> A single source of truth that stays up to date.
>
> The plan:
> (1) Keep the instructions linked from a page in Assembla

> (http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/clojure/Getting_Started). Assembla rather

> than clojure.org to help with maintenance, since all CA signers can get on
> Assembla and pitch in.
> (2) Link to the Assembla page from clojure.org (tbd soon).
>
> What I (Stu) will commit to do:
> (1) Edit and post new suggestions from the community.
> (2) Review and test *some* of the suggestions.
> (3) Flip the official bit (link from clojure.org) once y'all are happy.
>
> Requested of you, the community:
> (1) If you created, or are the expert on, some environment, please feel free
> to either update the Assembla page directly, or send edits to me.
> (2) If you find a problem let me know.
> (3) If you write or have written a blog post or article on setup
> particulars, also link out to the Assembla page.
> (4) Help me by reviewing and testing instructions.
>
> Suggestions and comments welcome, as always.
>
> Thanks!
> Stu
>

> --

> clojure+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words
> "REMOVE ME" as the subject.

David Nolen

Mar 30, 2010, 2:06:07 PM3/30/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Just a thought. Would it be more effective to create a GitHub page for this? Assembla is cool for ticketing but it's kinda ugly and unfriendly. For example I think something like this:

http://mmcgrana.github.com/2010/03/clojure-web-development-ring.html

is much friendlier and the kind of base-level design aesthetic people expect from programming language introductions these days. I'm more than happy to submit content, sadly my design chops are abysmal.

/me wishes someone would put together a http://tryclojure.org.

David

Stuart Halloway

Mar 31, 2010, 11:39:36 AM3/31/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
This suggests a broader conversation. Clojure stuff currently exists
in multiple places as a consequence of point-in-time decisions and
organic growth. For now I am going to stick with Assembla, but in the
medium run (months) there I want to revisit this idea.

Stu

Rob Wolfe

Apr 1, 2010, 3:58:20 AM4/1/10
to Clojure

On 30 Mar, 19:12, Stuart Halloway <stuart.hallo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The labrepl now has much better "getting started" instructions, thanks
> to everyone who pitched in. But this begs the question: Why hide the
> getting started instructions in a single project? So, I am working to
> create definitive instructions for getting started with Clojure in a
> variety of environments.

I tried to gather all instructions needed for getting started
with Emacs and SLIME:
http://wiki.github.com/robwolfe/leiningen/clojure-with-emacs-and-slimeswank

In my opinion this description:
http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/clojure/Getting_Started_with_Emacs
is a little bit too terse.
It assumes that everyone is an Emacs and Java expert
and Linux user (e.g. no info about ELPA patch for Windows).
It would be great to have a step by step instruction even for newbies.
Hundreds of blogs is not useful at all. Feel free to use my
description
somehow (e.g. copy and paste) in order to create one comprehensive
wiki page with all needed instructions.

Br,
Rob

Meikel Brandmeyer

Apr 1, 2010, 4:13:49 AM4/1/10
to Clojure
Hi,

On Apr 1, 9:58 am, Rob Wolfe <r...@smsnet.pl> wrote:

> In my opinion this description:http://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/clojure/Getting_Started_with_Emacs
> is a little bit too terse.
> It assumes that everyone is an Emacs and Java expert
> and Linux user (e.g. no info about ELPA patch for Windows).

I think it is save to assume knowledge of the editor. There is no
point in including tutorials for emacs, vim, netbeans, eclipse, ...
themselves (ie. the non-clojure related stuff).

Sincerely
Meikel

Rob Wolfe

Apr 1, 2010, 4:31:29 AM4/1/10
to Clojure

Knowledge of the editor is something different than knowledge
how to use ELPA package manager in order to install SLIME
for Clojure and what problems might occur in this process.
Knowledge what JARs are needed and where
they should be placed in order to use swank-clojure
is not only editor related stuff in my opinion.

Br,
Rob

Eric Thorsen

Apr 1, 2010, 11:37:15 AM4/1/10
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Once I update the getting started stuff for Enclojure, I'll put a link on the Assembla site.
Thanks Stu!

[...]

To unsubscribe from this group, send email to clojure+unsubscribegooglegroups.com or reply to this email with the words "REMOVE ME" as the subject.