License on Persistent{HashMap,Vector} reverted to EPL?

Michel Salim

Aug 11, 2010, 3:49:38 AM8/11/10
to Clojure Dev
Hi all,

Daniel Spiewak recently tried to get his port of Clojure's persistent
vector into Scala:
https://lampsvn.epfl.ch/trac/scala/ticket/3724#comment:23

the link above pointed directly to the conversation thread where I
raised license concerns. It turns out that Rich relicensed the two
Java source files to BSD on 2008-11-13

http://github.com/richhickey/clojure/commit/2fb7a11de0332080286ae74ae6eccf8bf2749621

but PersistentHashMap is reverted back by Christophe Grand, with
Rich's sign-off, on 2009-08-24

http://github.com/clojure/clojure/commit/56d70e433a66087c720e82a67e6460fae1169862

and PersistentVector reverted on 2009-07-16
http://github.com/richhickey/clojure/commit/f2de9c79eb5978a6a81ad3d0994ec44f490e3152

To clarify,
1. are the changes intentional, and
2. presumably the BSD-licensed file versions are still safe to be used
by other projects for reimplementation
3. are there prior conversations, private or public, that I point the
Scala guys (and others) to, if this topic comes up?

Thanks,

--
Michel

Rich Hickey

Aug 16, 2010, 9:30:12 AM8/16/10
to Clojure Dev

On Aug 11, 3:49 am, Michel Salim <michael.silva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Daniel Spiewak recently tried to get his port of Clojure's persistent
> vector into Scala:https://lampsvn.epfl.ch/trac/scala/ticket/3724#comment:23
>
> the link above pointed directly to the conversation thread where I
> raised license concerns. It turns out that Rich relicensed the two
> Java source files to BSD on 2008-11-13
>
> http://github.com/richhickey/clojure/commit/2fb7a11de0332080286ae74ae...
>
> but PersistentHashMap is reverted back by Christophe Grand, with
> Rich's sign-off, on 2009-08-24
>
> http://github.com/clojure/clojure/commit/56d70e433a66087c720e82a67e64...
>
> and PersistentVector reverted on 2009-07-16http://github.com/richhickey/clojure/commit/f2de9c79eb5978a6a81ad3d09...
>
> To clarify,
> 1. are the changes intentional, and

Yes.

> 2. presumably the BSD-licensed file versions are still safe to be used
> by other projects for reimplementation

Yes.

> 3. are there prior conversations, private or public, that I point the
> Scala guys (and others) to, if this topic comes up?

No.

Rich