Frozen docs for 1.1

1 view

Sean Devlin

Dec 10, 2009, 11:54:26 AM12/10/09
to Clojure Dev
Hey all,
Part of the effort is to create a frozen set of core docs w/Clojure
1.1. Since we're freezing a version of contrib, we should freeze a
set of docs as well.

I was talking to someone on IRC, and they were have trouble getting a
feature from contrib to work. That's because they were using the
1.0.0 version of contrib, and the feature wasn't added until a month
ago. The were confused because the read the documentation for the
edge version of contrib.

So, moral of the story: Produce a frozen version of the contrib docs
w/ 1.1

Sean

Tom Faulhaber

Dec 10, 2009, 1:52:35 PM12/10/09
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
Due to the miracle of git and autodoc, there actually is a frozen doc set for *every* commit of both Clojure and Contrib. Unfortunately, github pages doesn't give us a way to see that.

It would, however, be trivial to find and post somewhere the doc set for any interesting version.

If you look at the gh-pages branch of clojure or clojure-contrib, you'll see that each commit has (in its commit comment) a reference to the commit id of the version of the source on which it was based. So getting a version of the doc that matches a given commit (say 76e7c) of clojure would look something like this:

$ git clone git://github.com/richhickey/clojure.git mydocs
$ cd mydocs
$ git checkout gh-pages
$ git log --pretty=oneline | grep 76e7c
71850031a4e921e1db132df4429d30e268ba810e Updated documentation for commit 76e7c4317dc3eac80c4908ac5e5fb885e302b2a4
(now we see that 718500 is the doc commit for source commit 76e7c)
$ git checkout 718500

And now the mydocs directory will contain the html, css, etc. that corresponds to that particular version of clojure.

It is on my agenda to make the github pages website contain doc for all the interesting branches of clojure, but I still have some work to do to make this possible.

It's also on my agenda to make a shell script that will do all the above and have it somewhere easy to get to so that you can always pull a version if the doc that matches the exact version of the software.

Tom