Name conflict - deftype

Rich Hickey

Oct 28, 2009, 8:53:29 PM10/28/09
to Clojure Dev
I've got a significant new language feature I'd like to call deftype,
but there are several conflicts in contrib. Because we have
namespaces, it shouldn't be a big deal to exclude core/deftype in
those files until a per-lib decision is made.

Could those of you with uses of deftype please qualify them or exclude
core's?

Thanks,

Rich

Howard Lewis Ship

Oct 28, 2009, 9:08:52 PM10/28/09
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
Is the rationale for the deftype concept about performance, memory
utilization, or Java interop?
--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Konrad Hinsen

Oct 29, 2009, 4:36:35 AM10/29/09
to cloju...@googlegroups.com

I can make the changes in my libraries (in particular in
clojure.contrib.types), but I'd need someone else to check them in for
me. I am still github-challenged: my firewall doesn't let the git
protocol pass and I never managed to access github via http (the
connection always breaks down before the transfer is finished).

BTW, I still think we ought to do something to prevent such name
clashes in the future (see the thread at http://groups.google.com/group/clojure/browse_thread/thread/cbfe2f2110f2bf3b/606509014f5476dd)
. Having namespaces is not enough as long as any new name defined in
clojure.core can break all existing code.

Konrad.

Rich Hickey

Oct 29, 2009, 12:35:47 PM10/29/09
to Clojure Dev

On Oct 29, 4:36 am, Konrad Hinsen <konrad.hin...@fastmail.net> wrote:
> On 29 Oct 2009, at 01:53, Rich Hickey wrote:
>
> > I've got a significant new language feature I'd like to call deftype,
> > but there are several conflicts in contrib. Because we have
> > namespaces, it shouldn't be a big deal to exclude core/deftype in
> > those files until a per-lib decision is made.
>
> > Could those of you with uses of deftype please qualify them or exclude
> > core's?
>
> I can make the changes in my libraries (in particular in
> clojure.contrib.types), but I'd need someone else to check them in for
> me. I am still github-challenged: my firewall doesn't let the git
> protocol pass and I never managed to access github via http (the
> connection always breaks down before the transfer is finished).

Mike Hinchey has kindly provided a patch for all of contrib, which
I've applied.

Let me know if that causes anyone any problems (tests pass).

Rich

Konrad Hinsen

Oct 30, 2009, 4:11:33 AM10/30/09
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
On 29 Oct 2009, at 17:35, Rich Hickey wrote:

> Mike Hinchey has kindly provided a patch for all of contrib, which
> I've applied.

Great, thanks to both of you!

> Let me know if that causes anyone any problems (tests pass).

It works fine for me with Clojure 1.0, and with the current main branch.

Konrad.