patch workflow observations

Stuart Halloway

Mar 23, 2012, 1:32:43 PM3/23/12
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
(1) When commenting on a patch, please reference the patch by name and date. Even if there is only one patch now, there may be more than one before it is approved.

(2) When augmenting an existing patch, please make an uberpatch that does the whole job (and make clear you did so in the comments). It is error-prone to try to apply more than one patch per ticket.

If this makes sense, can someone please add to workflow instructions docs?

Thanks,
Stu

Andy Fingerhut

Mar 23, 2012, 2:36:15 PM3/23/12
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
I can do that this weekend, if it is OK to add those notes to this page:

[1] http://dev.clojure.org/display/design/JIRA+workflow

I and most others don't have permission to edit this page:

[2] http://clojure.org/patches

I have carefully reviewed the content of those two side by side, section by section, and it seems to me that they are either identical, or [1] is more up to date.

I am not proposing getting rid of [2], but instead do this:

Keep the first section headed "Submitting patches to Clojure and Clojure Contrib" exactly as it is now, or perhaps with very minor edits.

Immediately under the heading "So You Have an Idea...", put a single link, perhaps with one sentence or phrase, that points at [1]. Delete all other text from there down on [2]. You will lose nothing worth saving, and you will save future confusion as what is now [2] gets more and more stale.

Andy

Andy Fingerhut

Mar 23, 2012, 10:23:51 PM3/23/12
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
[1] now has a short section with the heading "Adding patches", containing Stuart H's suggestions and a few more notes.

[1] http://dev.clojure.org/display/design/JIRA+workflow

Feel free to suggest changes (or edit away yourself, as you like).

Andy