my bonnet flew open this week on M3 with police witnesses

Laura MF

Jul 20, 2007, 9:12:17 AM7/20/07
to Clio Action Group
Dear everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that this happened to me this week on
Tuesday, in the middle lane at 70mph in rush hour traffic with police
witnesses, who were travelling in the other direction and turned
round. I was crying hysterically on the hard shoulder and four cars
and a fire engine stopped to help, and luckily didn't cause a major
accident. I have contacted Renault Customer services and they have
told me that I just have to claim on insurance and then we will go
from there. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?

Laura McLean-Ferris

brigatti

Jul 20, 2007, 9:24:44 AM7/20/07
to Clio Action Group
Depends on your time and commitment to resolve. Ultimately, you
should try claiming back any costs (damage, expenses) from Renault.

But before doing anything, you need to see what your insurance policy
covers. As Michelle covered in an earlier post, some insurance
policies allow you to get legal assistance, which if you are intending
to use (via your insurance claim) you can get support to see what
legal options you have.

Small Claims Court is another option - one which Mickey (group
administrator) is actively pursuing. Seems the only feasible route
after you have incurred your repair costs!

Also, attempt to get an independent report carried out on your vehicle
from an "accredited" engineer/mechanic/inspector - as this will help
you (they will be a cost incurred to obtain this - but could also be
part of your insurance claim too).

This link might help too....to summarise the options as I see it
http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/general-forum/19606-clio-bonnet-catch-failures-key-steps.html

If you are prepared for the long slog, you have a chance to get the
money back - BUT, Renault will accuse you of causing the incident (not
closing the bonnet properly, or not maintaining it etc) - they will
also quote that VOSA completed an investigation without uncovering any
"safety defect" - keep pushing them though - as actually there has not
been a thorough investigation by any party on this!

Good luck!