Clay 0.1.0

Joe Groff

Jan 16, 2012, 1:29:20 PM1/16/12
to Clay Programming Language
Clay 0.1.0 is here! Notable improvements from previous Clay versions
include:
* revised syntax
* debugger support
* much improved C compatibility (including C99-compatible complex
types)
* support for optional integer overflow checking
* a work-in-progress advanced math library

Check it out from here:

https://github.com/jckarter/clay/tree/v0.1.0

The full changelog from previous Clay versions:

https://github.com/jckarter/clay/blob/v0.1.0/ChangeLog.txt

Release notes:

https://github.com/jckarter/clay/blob/v0.1.0/ReleaseNotes.txt

Reference docs:

https://github.com/jckarter/clay/blob/v0.1.0/doc/language-reference.md
https://github.com/jckarter/clay/blob/v0.1.0/doc/primitives-reference.md

This first release is not to say that Clay is finished and bulletproof
and you should totally start coding nuclear reactors with it. I intend
to keep changing things, using releases as checkpoints for automated
backward compatibility updating, similar to how Go's early development
progressed. Clay still has a lot to learn from its systems language
brethren.

If you've investigated Clay in the past, note that things have moved
around a bit lately:

* Active development is happening on github; my own fork is
https://github.com/jckarter/clay/, and I track bug reports and
developer notes using Github's issues and wiki features.

* The old tachyon.in mailing list seems to have left this world, so I
founded this Google group at http://groups.google.com/group/clay-language/
as a substitute.

IRC discussion still happens at Freenode #clay.

KS Sreeram

Jan 17, 2012, 1:43:03 AM1/17/12
to clay-l...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations!

Joe Groff

Jan 17, 2012, 11:58:56 AM1/17/12
to Clay Programming Language
A few people asked about binaries and source tarballs. A Win32 binary
is up at https://github.com/jckarter/clay/downloads; it requires a
Visual Studio toolchain. VS Express will work. I haven't been able to
get LLVM to build with the Windows Platform SDK, so I haven't worked
out Win64 support yet. For Unixy platforms, there is an Arch Linux
package, and I'll look into packages for other Linuxes and for Mac OS
X homebrew.

If you want a source tarball without fiddling with git, you can grab
it from github:

https://github.com/jckarter/clay/zipball/v0.1.0 (.zip)
https://github.com/jckarter/clay/tarball/v0.1.0 (.tar)

-Joe

groovy2shoes

Jan 17, 2012, 9:05:55 PM1/17/12
to Clay Programming Language
I threw together a Homebrew formula. It seems to work fine for 0.1.0
on OS X 10.6. Have at it :)

https://github.com/baguette/homebrew/blob/master/Library/Formula/clay.rb

-Cory

Rhialto