Leadership Update & Fall 2008 Challenges

閲覧: 0 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

Keppy

未読、
2007/12/17 17:29:272007/12/17
To: cincinnat...@googlegroups.com
Leadership Update

Effective January 1, 2008, Paul Estes is stepping down as President of the Cincinnati Broomball Association.  I, Brian Kaeppner, will be fulfilling this role going forward.  Kevin Wilhelm will remain as Vice President of League Operations. Paul will stay on as Treasurer for now until a suitable successor is named for this position.

First, join me in expressing gratitude toward Paul for his many years of service to the CBA.  His 12 years of dedication to the association has been of tremendous value and I hope to to carry on in the same tradition.  Second, I want to thank both Kevin and Paul for supporting me in this new role.  Third and most importantly, I want to thank all CBA players and fans.  With your continued passion for the sport, know that I will do my best to keep the CBA fun & exciting for everyone.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

All goals listed below shall be met by Fall 2008!

Now, I could go on and on about mission statements, vision, principles and all that corporate kind of jargon but instead, I pose the following challenges to everyone reading this email.

Goal 1)  Raise $1200 for new & upgraded CBA equipment

Why?
The CBA reserves a modest amount of funds to cover expenses for new game balls, equipment repairs, ref fees, and the occasional person who "stiffs" the CBA.  Balls are not cheap ($20) and we go through several of them every season.  If you haven't noticed recently, the CBA equipment has seen better days.  I remember as a new player the site & smell of random helmets & shoes and thinking "..that's gross..".   But I put them on anyway, gave it my best, and became addicted to broomball.  While I encourage returning players to purchase their own stuff, I think it's important that new players experience the benefit of having the appropriate gear, especially shoes.

How?
The CBA will raise money by organizing events, such as the recent Cyclones Broomball night which raised $300!   In addition to these sorts of events, we'll begin offering "CBA Merchandise"  ( i.e., T-shirts, hats, etc).  Stay tuned for that....

Who?
While clearly a team-effort, we need individuals to coordinate these events, like Scott Kerth who worked with US Bank Arena to arrange the Cyclones event. Those who volunteer & lead a successful fund-raising event for the CBA will be rewarded with all the warm-fuzzy feelings possible!  We may even reduce your next league entry fee and/or throw in a t-shirt for your trouble!

Goal 2) Recruit 36 new players.

Why?
The key to keeping the league exciting is by growing interest & participation of our beloved sport.  Based on the conversations I've had over the last several months, it is clear that the best recruiters are players themselves.  If 36 seems like a random number, this is about how many folks we'd need to establish 3 new teams for the league!

How?
I challenge each person reading this email to invite at least one more person to play broomball.  A new player is someone who has never played CBA broomball before.  They might have played in college or at fountain square, but never in the CBA. If they won't play, have them to watch a couple games, risk-free!  (oh, and get them to subscribe through our website).

Who?
The top 3 individual recruiters for the CBA Fall 2008 season will receive a CBA t-shirt and/or a reduced entry fee for the Fall 2008 season.  These shirts will also be available for purchase with proceeds going toward upgraded CBA equipment.  Specific details for this challenge will be posted on the website at a later date.

Goal 3)  Fill the open CBA Leadership positions

Special Event Coordinator (multiple)
These people will be in charge of organizing specific events, with the aim of delivering a net "profit" that will go toward the general CBA fund.  The CBA will provide start-up funding, assuming there is a clear business case & return on investment.  For example, the CBA purchased 100 cyclones tickets at $7 per and sold them for $10 = $300 was generated for the CBA.  The individual will be responsible for all coordination, logistics, and finances for the specific event.

Equipment Manager
This person will be in charge of keeping all CBA equipment ready for action.  This includes keeping a detailed inventory, repairing existing equipment, and outlining items that need purchased / replaced.  This manager will also be in charge of proposing the best methods of obtaining new / used equipment, such as organizing "group purchases" for the CBA and or it's players.  If the manager feels there is a case to be made for an "equipment rental" type of arrangement for CBA players, this could be considered as part of CBA fund-raising efforts.

Treasurer / Legal Adviser
Paul Estes is still the CBA Treasurer for now.  However, we would like to bring another person up to speed in this role.  This person would be responsible for monitoring the CBA checking/savings accounts, writing checks for specific purposes (ie. equipment purchases, fund-raising start-ups, rink fees), and keeping a detailed balance sheet for the CBA.  The ideal candidate will also have some knowledge of the law surrounding non-profit companies, and can assist with any legal documents and proceedings involved with government reporting or other related dealings.

Remember, the CBA is a non-profit organization.  That means you don't get paid for anything you do.  Rather, your payment is a warm, fuzzy feeling - It is the phenomena experienced as a result of achieving one's "internal goals".  You might also get an occasional t-shirt or small credit toward your league fees.  Also, don't underestimate the "resumé value" of these positions!   A full-listing of open positions and descriptions will be posted on the website very soon.

That might be the longest CBA I've ever sent.  So, I apologize if I've just distracted you from more important work.  However, please don't forget to contact me if you're interested in a position with the CBA!

Happy Holidays!

Brian "Keppy" Kaeppner
CBA President
513.236.0694