Re: [cincijs] Javascript tutor for college student.

Message has been deleted

Rob Hammonds

Oct 22, 2014, 8:25:15 AM10/22/14
to cin...@googlegroups.com

Good morning

Where are you located? Have you received any offers of assistance?

Rob

On Oct 21, 2014 9:51 PM, "Andrea Baker" <ambak...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey everyone,

I've been trying to teach myself JavaScript this fall and I haven't been doing too well.  If someone would be willing to help me a few hours every week I would try to pay somewhere between 15 to 20 an hour.

I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks
andrea

Andrea Baker

Oct 22, 2014, 10:30:56 AM10/22/14
to cin...@googlegroups.com

Hey Rob
I have talked to someone but I always like to have a plan B. I'm located in Northern Kentucky

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Cincinnati JavaScript User Group" group.

Karl Wilbur

Oct 22, 2014, 12:29:56 PM10/22/14
to cincijs
This group is definitely a great resource. They are very knowledgeable and willing to help. The Meetup is a good resource too. For a beginner it might seem a little over your head, but everyone there is willing to help too. [the next Cincinnati JavaScript User Group meeting](http://www.meetup.com/TechLife-Cincinnati/events/195138052/).

Andrea Baker

Oct 22, 2014, 1:06:56 PM10/22/14
to cin...@googlegroups.com

I have classes at the times it's being held (I'm hoping I can get out of them). Does the group always meet in the afternoon?

Karl Wilbur

Oct 22, 2014, 2:52:12 PM10/22/14
to cincijs
The actual JavaScript meetup is at lunchtime, but the same guys are in other groups that meet in the evening. It's not uncommon to find the Ruby group or the PHP group talking about JavaScript.

James Smith

Oct 22, 2014, 3:01:41 PM10/22/14
to cin...@googlegroups.com
There is a emberjs group that meets in the evening http://www.meetup.com/EmberNati/ and the AngularJs group meets during hte day but perhaps its a day you don't have class? http://www.meetup.com/CincyNg-Cincinnati-AngularJS-Meetup/ https://plus.google.com/communities/106117624676976925523

Andrea Baker

Oct 22, 2014, 7:30:15 PM10/22/14
to cin...@googlegroups.com

As a beginner I'm not sure those groups would do me any good.  If I can't get out of class on Wednesday afternoon I'll try to go to another one regardless

Karl Wilbur

Oct 22, 2014, 8:30:22 PM10/22/14
to cin...@googlegroups.com

Yeah. The ember and Angular meetuos may get be a bit much for someone completely new to JavaScript as a language. I expect that getting comforter with JavaScript first is really the way to go.

Andrea Baker

Oct 22, 2014, 8:32:29 PM10/22/14
to cin...@googlegroups.com

I may just go to meet everyone and see how yall run things

Kevin Rockwood

Oct 22, 2014, 11:10:57 PM10/22/14
to cin...@googlegroups.com
Absolutely! Both meetups are all very welcoming. Don't worry about being new to JS. We were all there at some point, and we'd be happy to share some tips for getting started.

You might also want to come checkout Gaslight Coffee Friday. That might be a good place to get introduced to some others in the community.

-Kevin

Andrea Baker

Oct 22, 2014, 11:14:53 PM10/22/14
to cin...@googlegroups.com

I work 9-5 sadly I can not participate in the coffee meet up. If you guys ever meet on yhe weekend please let me know

Ross Hadden

Oct 24, 2014, 9:57:34 AM10/24/14
to cin...@googlegroups.com
I would love to help out, but with working 60 hours a week and going to grad school full time it's not quite realistic right now.  However I think a lot of us can recommend great resources to help you get started.

I like to point beginners to http://eloquentjavascript.net/, a free online book.  It wasn't around when most of us were learning, but I've skimmed through it and it seems to have good practices and advice.  You are lucky that in this decade, the material out there for learning JS (books, videos, blog posts, etc.) is actually good.  It used to be a crappy ecosystem polluted with so much outdated and bad advice that it was a bit of an art to find things that were actually worth learning.

Some other resources are the Mozilla Developer Network and http://javascript.info/.  The former comes in handy to ALL of us, as it has been one of the best references for many years now, and despite the location is actually quite browser-agnostic.  The latter doesn't have much, but it has extremely important mechanics that any good JS dev needs to know.

~Ross Hadden

Jeremy Lankford

Oct 25, 2014, 6:10:58 AM10/25/14
to cin...@googlegroups.com
Andrea,

I can help you an hour a week or so. Send me a message with your contact info, jwlan...@gmail.com. I live in Cincinnati.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Andrea Baker

Oct 26, 2014, 12:42:28 AM10/26/14
to cin...@googlegroups.com
I actually was able to find some help thank you.