A different cinci hackerspace group, that already has a site:

Kazen

May 16, 2009, 12:12:26 PM5/16/09
to The Cincinnati Hackerspace Project
should we try to met these guys, and perhaps join forcesif we all get
along well?

quote from the steampunk page:

____________________________
Hey there. ... I'm Master Pokes.

I am part of an arts collective that just took over an industrial
space over on the west side of Cincinnati. We're in the process of
rehabbing it into workshop space, rehearsal/performance space and
studio space. We will have VERY inexpensive memberships for those who
want to join the collective including options to have access to tools
and storage if individuals so desire.

We're hosting a work/party bbq this weekend to prep for a big
fundraiser next Saturday at the space.
We'd love to have some of ya'll come by and see the space and if you
feel like pitching in and helping, that'd be especially awesome.

All of us in KOI Burners (Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana Burners as in
Burning Man) are makers and artists. We're going to start hosting
workshop weekends at the space soon, so it seems like there is some
synergy there.

I myself do leather work, installation art and found object art,
mainly steampunk style.
Hope to see ya'll.

Feel free to... just come on down today or tomorrow. If not, we can
schedule a time for anyone who is interested in seeing the space.
Please feel free to forward this information on to the other members
of your group.

The KOIpound is at 2008 Freeman in Cincinnati.
Best wishes,

Pokes

Craig

May 16, 2009, 12:20:58 PM5/16/09
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
I think somebody should go to at least see what their site is like.  Maybe we can expand on it or what not.  I would also be curious on how they solved the membership costs and utility expenses.  There was an art warehouse in City Beat this week too but I think that is yet another group...

Chris Anderson

May 16, 2009, 12:34:05 PM5/16/09
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
this pisses me off. :-)  i scoured the web for a burner group in cincinnati and somehow missed these guys.
--
~chris
kil...@hobbiton.org

I tried to break down the essential position for him. "You're arguing for a universe with fewer waffles in it," I said. "I'm prepared to call that cowardice." --Tycho Brahe, Penny Arcade

Kazen

May 16, 2009, 4:47:32 PM5/16/09
to The Cincinnati Hackerspace Project

I went, met them. and i am pleased.

They are relaxed, cool, fun burning man types, and i got along with
them very well. They're very friendly.

They will be working most of the day on sunday, 5/17 starting at noon.
i'll be there helping out as well, methinks.
got inspired when i met them. they're doing much of what we have been
talking about.

they are having a rave/party next satuday as a fund raiser, 10$
suggested donation
and will be onsite most weekend days after noon working.

anyone want to take a field trip tomorrow or next saturday, or the
week after, and form opinions?

On May 16, 12:34 pm, Chris Anderson <deth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> this pisses me off. :-)  i scoured the web for a burner group in cincinnati
> and somehow missed these guys.
>

> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Craig <agent.cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think somebody should go to at least see what their site is like.  Maybe
> > we can expand on it or what not.  I would also be curious on how they solved
> > the membership costs and utility expenses.  There was an art warehouse in
> > City Beat this week too but I think that is yet another group...
>
> kil...@hobbiton.orghttp://kill-9.hobbiton.org

Kazen

May 16, 2009, 4:49:11 PM5/16/09
to The Cincinnati Hackerspace Project
oh, and the cinci burning man site is here:

http://www.scorchednuts.org

On May 16, 12:34 pm, Chris Anderson <deth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> this pisses me off. :-)  i scoured the web for a burner group in cincinnati
> and somehow missed these guys.
>

> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Craig <agent.cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think somebody should go to at least see what their site is like.  Maybe
> > we can expand on it or what not.  I would also be curious on how they solved
> > the membership costs and utility expenses.  There was an art warehouse in
> > City Beat this week too but I think that is yet another group...
>
> kil...@hobbiton.orghttp://kill-9.hobbiton.org

Craig

May 16, 2009, 9:03:47 PM5/16/09
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com

How is their place?  I think they call it the KOI Pound. I totally think we should work with them. Especially since they have rave fundraisers ;) I totally support that.

Can we work with them to use some space for a lounge and data center? Maybe we can buy/lease some space from them or do we have to get another place for that?

Hopefully more ppl can make it tomorrow to KOI!!

Great find Kazen!

On May 16, 2009 4:49 PM, "Kazen" <kaze...@gmail.com> wrote:

oh, and the cinci burning man site is here:

http://www.scorchednuts.org

On May 16, 12:34 pm, Chris Anderson <deth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> this pisses me off. :-)  i scoured the web for a burner group in cincinnati > and somehow missed t...

> On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Craig <agent.cr...@gmail.com> wrote: > > I think somebody should...

> > On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Kazen <kazen...@gmail.com> wrote: > > >> should we try to met ...

> kil...@hobbiton.orghttp://kill-9.hobbiton.org

> > I tried to break down the essential position for him. "You're arguing for a > universe with fewe...

Kazen

May 17, 2009, 1:25:33 AM5/17/09

On May 16, 9:03 pm, Craig <agent.cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How is their place?  I think they call it the KOI Pound.

**i like it. old industrial area, very mad-max feeling. i'll try to
take pictures tomorrow.
it was *filled* with junk, but they've been working for 2 months, and
the place is starting to take shape.

I totally think we
> should work with them. Especially since they have rave fundraisers ;) I
> totally support that.

***otter be fun. they may be doing something with lasers, i think i
heard mention of a giant pvc dome being put over the lot for the
party.
if they have a dome, and no lasers, perhaps we might help. :)

> Can we work with them to use some space for a lounge and data center? Maybe
> we can buy/lease some space from them or do we have to get another place for
> that?

***I think it's a real possibility. much to discuss with them,
methinks.
the landlord is actually turning a chunk of the place into rather nice
apartments. one of them could be a place for us to rent and use as
clean space.
we should inspect it as a group, and brainstorm. it may be what we
need, it may not.

> Hopefully more ppl can make it tomorrow to KOI!!

***I'll be there around noon. :) be warned, people that show up might
get drafted to help move stuff.

> Great find Kazen!

***thanks, i think it was sheer luck, they kinda found us. :)
map to site:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2008+freeman++cincinnati+ohio&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.410182,83.320312&ie=UTF8&ll=39.119556,-84.530954&spn=0.008474,0.020342&z=16&iwloc=A