Re: Meshnets, digital democracy and the Occupation movement

1 view

Craig

Dec 1, 2011, 8:53:57 PM12/1/11
to Coulter Loeb, membe...@hive13.org, cincihac...@googlegroups.com
Hi Coulter,

I'm forwarding the email to the mailing list so all can see it.  I know we have had several discussions on p2p meshnets and things like the freedombox.  While this email is being forwarded I suggest signing up to the mailing list.  This way you can continue the discussion on there.  If you have any further problems singing up, let me know!

--Craig

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 7:53 PM, Coulter Loeb <coulte...@gmail.com> wrote:
My name is Coulter Loeb. I am a full-time social-media manager for Occupy Cincinnati. I tried to post this to the H13 google group and reach all of your members, but it bounced back after I realized I didnt have publication permissions.

The Occupation movement has evolved a lot since September, and after our encampment in Piatt Park was removed by the police last month we have started to think more long-term than just a hodgepodge collective of tents and tarps. One of the ideas we are playing with is creating a permanent encampment. Instead of a tent city we would actually be building structures (high-density housing like the capsule hotels in Japan, a kitchen, first-aid, a technology core, information services...)

We think that a decentralized internet/ P2P communications network is going to be an essential tool in the advancement of democracy and information technologies. With threats like the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) always looking to encroach on our online rights, we see the ability for a high-ranking CEO or public official to shut off parts of the interent with the flip of a switch as a glaring problem in today’s telecom infrastructures.

I came here to see if Hive13 had any interest in using this future occupation encampment as a playground for experimenting with meshnets (Links: project subreddithttp://darknetplan.org/) and other decentralized computer networking technologies? The Occupation may be able to foot a part of the bill, and it would provide both groups with an opportunity to experiment with how digital technologies can enable the democratic process. In addition to a meshnet-style infrastructure, we could also use digital technologies to enable the decision making processes of the group - our IT crew has been throwing around a few designs for digital democracy.

I live just up the hill from the Hive, at the top of Ravine, and would love to stop by some time to open a discussion with anyone interested. I can be contacted at this email <coulte...@gmail.com>

Coulter Loeb
http://coulterloeb1.sites.livebooks.com/
http://quantumrose.blogspot.com/
--
"The single most important component
of a camera is the twelve inches behind

- Ansel Adams

Dave B.

Dec 1, 2011, 9:34:40 PM12/1/11
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com
Count me in.
-Dave B.

Dave Menninger

Dec 2, 2011, 9:05:16 AM12/2/11
to cincihac...@googlegroups.com, Coulter Loeb, membe...@hive13.org
I'm definitely interested in both the mesh/darknets and digital democracy stuff too.  I have one router I can bring to the table that should be able to run dd-wrt so we can experiment.  I know a few people have mentioned interest in getting DreamPlugs or similar devices.  Maybe we can order a few of those to play with.

Coulter, I'll try to come to an Occupy GA if I can and introdue myself.  You're always welcome to stop by the Hive on any Tuesday night when we have our open meeting night.

~Dave

Coulter

Dec 5, 2011, 3:23:41 AM12/5/11
to Hive13 Hackerspace
I'll be in DC this week but I'll stop by the next time you have open
shop. Or if anyone would like to meet at Roxx, I live a block away.