Fwd: GlutenFreeIndy News 10-13-07

Denise Ramey

Oct 14, 2007, 6:55:25 PM10/14/07
to Group email - Celiac
I just received this from the Indianapolis group.

Denise

There is a product called Glutenease that is being marketed as a treatment
for CD. It contains an enzyme DPP-IV that they claim will help to break
down gluten. I recently contacted University of Chicago to ask if there is
anything to this at all, and received the answer below. In my letter, I
referred to a 2002 journal article in which DPP-IV was studied for activity
against gluten, but research on this substance appears to have been dropped
in favor of much more effective enzymes. There are two enzyme supplements -
the real thing - that will be in clinical trials soon and are very
promising. You can read about these at:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/563090 and http://snipurl.com/1s52a

Message from U of Chicago about Glutenease:

"It has absolutely NO merit. The only treatment for celiac disease remains
a STRICT GLUTEN FREE DIET! We are working with the American Celiac Disease
Alliance to fight false marketing claims like this one!

Just to clarify, while it is true that this intestinal epithelium-associated
enzyme in vivo is capable of digesting to some extent gliadin peptides, and
while the paper by Khosla in 2002 shows in the rat in vitro that DDPIV
(together with other enzymes!) can effectively digest gliadin, there is
absolutely NO PROOF whatsoever in any paper published in the medical
literature in any journal in any year by any investigator working in any
part of the world that shows any protective effect of DPP-IV in patients
with celiac disease."