first Greater amberjack, Seriola dumerili, for Guernsey waters

Richard Lord

Dec 10, 2009, 1:44:24 PM12/10/09
to cien...@googlegroups.com
Commercial fisherman Steve Fallaize caught a 585 gram Greater amberjack, Seriola dumerili, off Rousse, north-west coast of Guernsey, on the 9 December 2009.  The fish was taken to Phoenix Fish Company and manager Martyn Vinning telephoned me this morning to tell me about the fish.

I believe this is the first record for the greater amberjack in Guernsey waters.

About 12 have been positively identified from the British Isles.  The first British record for the greater amberjack was in September 1951 off Salcombe, Devon and the first Irish record in October 1990. (Doug Herdson, personal communication).

The greater amberjack caught by Steve Fallaize had the following measurements.

Total length 376 mm
Fork length 328 mm
Standard length 299 mm

D  VII, I, 29
A II, I, 19

Second dorsal fin lobe height 54 mm
Pectoral fin length 51 mm

Gill rakers on first gill arch 18 + 1 rudiment

Best wishes,

Richard

Richard Lord

Channel Islands Environment email list: http://groups.google.com/group/cienviron