[Cider Workshop] Dabinett's Ready?

Duncan Hewitt

Oct 14, 2017, 3:16:41 PM10/14/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
My Dabinett's are showing the sugar content is ready, with little to no reaction to an Iodine test. Is this reliable, as I've read that they're usually picked in November? I know many varieties are early this year, but this early?

Cheers,

Duncan

Andrew Lea

Oct 14, 2017, 5:34:04 PM10/14/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
What do you mean by “little to no reaction”?  If there is any trace of blue or black, then there is still unchanged starch present. You should be looking for no colour at all - just the yellow of the iodine itself.  It is wise to test half a dozen or so apples with different skin colours and from different parts of the tree before making a decision. Also, if you are using a dropper, spot the iodine at different points on each cut fruit from core to skin.

I haven’t checked my Dabinetts but in South Oxon my Harry Masters and Kingston Blacks  are still clearly unripe, despite having all dropped to the ground.

Andrew

Wittenham Hill Cider Portal
www.cider.org.uk
Visit our website: http://www.ciderworkshop.com

Duncan Hewitt

Oct 14, 2017, 5:56:28 PM10/14/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
In the one apple I've tested, there is no trace of blue or black. I'll check more tomorrow - thanks for the advice. I'll make sure to drop at various points on the slices.

Duncan

Andrew Lea

Oct 15, 2017, 3:18:49 AM10/15/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Don’t want to sound too nannying, but do you know that your iodine is working? Have you previously seen positives? Have you tried a “positive control” such as a cut potato?

Andrew

Wittenham Hill Cider Portal
www.cider.org.uk

jitd...@aol.com

Oct 15, 2017, 2:29:13 PM10/15/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I took the same view, some of my Black Dabinetts were rotting on the tree!
Jit

jitd...@aol.com

Oct 15, 2017, 2:30:48 PM10/15/17
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Will your unripe windfalls ripen on the ground Andrew?
Jit

Oct 18, 2017, 7:21:41 AM10/18/17
to Cider Workshop
Here's a pic of iodine test today on Dabinetts (left) and Yarlington (right):

IMG_2312.jpg