commercial-grade garbage disposal scratter

Nat West

Sep 3, 2010, 8:30:02 PM9/3/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Last year I bought InSinkErator's top-of-the-line home/residential garbage disposal model for grinding apples. It worked very well except for the fact that it was prone to overheating. I solved that problem by hooking up a semi-permanent fitting to my air compressor and continuously blowing air into the disposal's outer housing by a small port on the bottom. This worked "pretty well". It was noisy (compressor running occasionally, air blowing, underpowered motor), I managed to overheat it once, extremely large apples needed cutting to get through the throat, and I could only

But I just picked up a commercial-grade continuous operation garbage disposal, used for $30 (~23 Euro). It's designed for food service operations and has an absolutely massive throat - 6.5 inches. It runs 240 volt (I made an extension cord to my clothes dryer) so runs cool. It is a beast (maybe 30 pounds) and I simply cannot wait to put it to use this year. I dropped in a few test apples and they were instantaneously destroyed.

My only concern is that the grinding chamber and grinding disc are obviously not stainless steel. There appears to be some rust. Maybe I'll get a replacement custom fabricated in stainless steel. But I'll probably just ignore the potential for the metal to influence the cider. I do have my solid stainless residential model as a backup.

Attached is a picture.

-Nat West, Portland Oregon
DSC_7628.JPG

AWa...@aol.com

Sep 4, 2010, 5:29:21 AM9/4/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
great news about your waste disposal thing nat west. i bet its a banker

Andy Walden