What is Marmite?

Andrew Lea

Feb 11, 2010, 10:06:53 AM2/11/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
For Claude's benefit (and anyone else not brought up in a UK culture!)....

Marmite is a hydrolysed yeast extract made commercially from spent
brewery yeast (not cider yeast AFAIK). Its original home a century ago
or so was Burton on Trent in the English midlands where there were many
breweries. As far as I know it is made by yeast autolysis using strong
salt solutions which rupture the cells by osmosis. The water is then
partly removed to leave a thick black paste which is high in free amino
acids such as glutamate and some B vitamins. It is not sweet but very
savoury and salty. People spread it thinly on toast. Or you can use it
in cooking as a flavour enhancer or stock substitute ("umami") similar
to soy sauce with which it has many chemical similarities. It is called
'Marmite' after the French word for a cooking pot, I believe because it
was originally seen as a cook's ingredient. Only later did people begin
to consume it in its own right!

My generation in childhood (1950's) was often given Marmite on toast as
a teatime snack on account of its vitamin content. You either love it or
hate it - no half measures! It has passed through several owners, and is
now owned by Unilever who do periodic marketing on it, trying to
capitalise on its 'nursery' appeal to people who are now well grown up.

There is an equivalent Australian product called Vegemite. A similar
product made originally from hydrolysed beef waste is called 'Bovril'
but is more fluid in texture.

Hope this helps, Claude!

Andrew

raybl...@ntlworld.com

Feb 11, 2010, 10:35:23 AM2/11/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

---- Andrew Lea <y...@cider.org.uk> wrote:
> A similar product made originally from hydrolysed beef waste is called 'Bovril'

Mmmmm... What a tasty description! I *used* to prefer Bovril to Marmite but now I'm not so sure... I could go into detail as to how we used to buy pounds of loose pork dripping as a student in Sheffield, melt it down and as it started to set, stir in a couple of spoonfuls of Bovril or Marmite. We made our own bread and it was a luxury to spread this concoction onto a still-warm thick crusty slice. But I won't go into detail.

Mind you, this was the mid-70's when it was grim up North.

Ray.

Claude Jolicoeur

Feb 11, 2010, 10:48:07 AM2/11/10
to Cider Workshop
Andrew Lea wrote:
> For Claude's benefit (and anyone else not brought up in a UK culture!)....
>
> Marmite is a hydrolysed yeast extract made commercially from spent
> brewery yeast.......

Thanks Andrew for the explanation.
I guess it was invented as a way to use something that would have been
a waste otherwise... Which makes the relation with the other thread on
hair clippings.

Possibly we could make something similar with the yeast deposits we
all have after a racking. To boil it down with salt addition - would
have to try it! For my part I use all my yeast deposits from racking
in cooking, and I never have enough. Yeast deposits are great in many
recipies, replacing the addition of wine for example. It is also great
for the "déglacage" (I don't know the English word for it) in making
sauces.
Claude

Dennis Bancroft

Feb 11, 2010, 11:54:20 AM2/11/10
to cider group

 By the by (and back to cider perhaps)
Whilst an undergrad, eating marmite sandwiches was advised as an antidote to hangovers (by a clinically oriented lecturer) on account of the B vitamins in it.
Naturally I never needed to put this idea to the test.
pip pip
Dennis

Got a cool Hotmail story? Tell us now

from Heather

Feb 11, 2010, 1:18:51 PM2/11/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I've come across a recipe for using lees when cooking fish.

> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 07:48:07 -0800
> Subject: [Cider Workshop] Re: What is Marmite?
> From: cj...@gmc.ulaval.ca
> To: cider-w...@googlegroups.com

from Heather

Feb 11, 2010, 1:21:07 PM2/11/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
So that's what Vegemite is! It is in that song Men at Work song, "Land Down Under."

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich.

> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:06:53 +0000
> From: y...@cider.org.uk
> To: cider-w...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: [Cider Workshop] What is Marmite?

> For Claude's benefit (and anyone else not brought up in a UK culture!)....
>

> There is an equivalent Australian product called Vegemite. A similar
> product made originally from hydrolysed beef waste is called 'Bovril'
> but is more fluid in texture.
>
> Hope this helps, Claude!
>
> Andrew

Peter Ellis

Feb 11, 2010, 2:27:43 PM2/11/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
raybl...@ntlworld.com wrote:
> Mmmmm... What a tasty description! I *used* to prefer Bovril to Marmite but now I'm not so sure... I could go into detail as to how we used to buy pounds of loose pork dripping as a student in Sheffield, melt it down and as it started to set, stir in a couple of spoonfuls of Bovril or Marmite. We made our own bread and it was a luxury to spread this concoction onto a still-warm thick crusty slice. But I won't go into detail.
>
> Mind you, this was the mid-70's when it was grim up North.

It still is ! I used to love schmalz in Germany. It's the dripping without the Marmite. I dare say it would be delicious on bread accompanied by a dry cider !

Cheers

Peter Ellis

Porec Sales Office
Croatia Property Services
A trading name of Peter Ellis Grupa d.o.o.
Selling in the new Tuscany!

Tel +385 (0) 92 247 5879 Personal
+385 (0) 981 82 62 40

peter...@croatiapropertyservices.com
in...@croatiapropertyservices.com

http://www.croatiapropertyservices.com
http://croatiaproperty.proboards16.com

Wilf

Feb 12, 2010, 3:53:48 AM2/12/10
to Cider Workshop
Random fact on Bovril. It was invented I believe in the 18th century
to use all the beef carcasses in Argentina which were grown for the
skins.

wouldn't recommend bovril with cider through. not a good combination.

Wilf

On Feb 11, 7:27 pm, Peter Ellis
<peter.el...@croatiapropertyservices.com> wrote:

> rayblock...@ntlworld.com wrote:
> > Mmmmm... What a tasty description! I *used* to prefer Bovril to Marmite but now I'm not so sure... I could go into detail as to how we used to buy pounds of loose pork dripping as a student in Sheffield, melt it down and as it started to set, stir in a couple of spoonfuls of Bovril or Marmite. We made our own bread and it was a luxury to spread this concoction onto a still-warm thick crusty slice. But I won't go into detail.
>
> > Mind you, this was the mid-70's when it was grim up North.
>
> It still is !  I used to love schmalz in Germany. It's the dripping without the Marmite. I dare say it would be delicious on bread accompanied by a dry cider !
>
> Cheers
>
> Peter Ellis
>
> Porec Sales Office
> Croatia Property Services
> A trading name of Peter Ellis Grupa d.o.o.
> Selling in the new Tuscany!
>
> Tel  +385 (0) 92 247 5879 Personal
>      +385 (0) 981 82 62 40
>

> peter.el...@croatiapropertyservices.com
> i...@croatiapropertyservices.com
>
> http://www.croatiapropertyservices.comhttp://croatiaproperty.proboards16.com

Diane Dunn

Feb 11, 2010, 4:08:07 PM2/11/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 03:35:23PM +0000, raybl...@ntlworld.com wrote:

> ---- Andrew Lea <y...@cider.org.uk> wrote:
> > A similar product made originally from hydrolysed beef waste is called 'Bovril'

I believe that it is also made from yeast these days due to BSD.

> Mmmmm... What a tasty description! I *used* to prefer Bovril to Marmite but now I'm not so sure... I could go into detail as to how we used to buy pounds of loose pork dripping as a student in Sheffield, melt it down and as it started to set, stir in a couple of spoonfuls of Bovril or Marmite. We made our own bread and it was a luxury to spread this concoction onto a still-warm thick crusty slice. But I won't go into detail.
>
> Mind you, this was the mid-70's when it was grim up North.
I also lived on 'bread and dripping' in the 40's and 50's. Leftover
fat from roasting beef spread on toast then adding a thin layer of
Bovril. I still love Bovril and try to keep fat intake to a minimum.

-Diane
--
Diane Dunn, Ailurophile di...@talisman.com Boulder County, Colorado

Dries Muylaert

Feb 12, 2010, 9:44:50 AM2/12/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Quite a nice idea. Would make a smooth binding and thickening agent for the sauce. I'll certainly give it a go. Btw, anybody knows how much salt to add to a lee before cooking it down to this marmite paste?

Andrew Lea

Feb 12, 2010, 11:04:13 AM2/12/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Dries Muylaert wrote:
> Quite a nice idea. Would make a smooth binding and thickening agent for
> the sauce. I'll certainly give it a go. Btw, anybody knows how much salt
> to add to a lee before cooking it down to this marmite paste?

Not exactly. But the nutrition label on commercial Marmite indicates
around 75% dry matter, which includes 10% quoted salt. You could maybe
work out something from that? I suspect that you should allow the live
yeast to autolyse (warm - 35 degrees?) in the presence of salt for some
time (hours? days?) before heating more strongly to complete the
process. But I'm guessing here. You may find some patent literature if
you search hard. I haven't.

Andrew

--
Wittenham Hill Cider Page
http://www.cider.org.uk

Dries Muylaert

Feb 12, 2010, 1:14:38 PM2/12/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Didn't find it on the web. Just some ideas like washing the yeast before adding salt. Pitty, just pored lees of a 100 l batch away some days ago.

Andrew Lea

Feb 12, 2010, 1:24:58 PM2/12/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Dries Muylaert wrote:
> Didn't find it on the web. Just some ideas like washing the yeast before
> adding salt. Pitty, just pored lees of a 100 l batch away some days ago.

Found this in US Patent 4218481 from 1980
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4218481.pdf

Third paragraph gives some practical details.

---------------------

2. Description of the Prior Art

Autolyzed yeast and yeast autolyzate (also called autolyzed yeast
extract), two different products from the yeast autolysis, have long
been used as seasoning ingredients in the food industry. They are also
important nutrient sources for various fermentation processes. Autolysis
occurs when endogenous enzymes, mainly proteases and ribonucleases,
digest the intracellular high molecular weight components of the yeast
cells. The process can be induced by heating yeast to a temperature
(about 50� C.) where the cell is killed, but the enzyme systems are
active. It can be stimulated also by adding plasmolysing or liquefying
agents such as salt and organic solvents. During autolysis,
macromolecules are hydrolyzed and the soluble degradation products of
small molecular size, such as peptides, amino acids, nucleotides, etc.,
diffuse out from the cells. It appears that the solubilization of
organic nitrogenous material is the main aspect of autolysis.

Yeast autolysis can be carried out at temperatures ranging from about
30�-60� C. In general the process is extremely slow and at low
temperatures may require 3-7 days for completion. At 50�-55� C., total
digestion can be completed within 3 days, but in practice, shorter
processing times are employed while sacrificing autolyzate yield. At the
lower temperatures of 30�-40� C. the addition of antiseptics to suppress
putrefaction is necessary, although antiseptics can be used at all
temperatures to be safe. Generally used antiseptics are ethyl acetate,
amyl acetate, toluene, formaldehyde, etc.

In a typical autolysis, a slurry or cream of live yeast cells (15-18
weight percent solids) is plasmolyzed with 2-5 weight percent salt
(based on cell weight). Ethyl acetate is added as an antiseptic at 1% by
volume to prevent bacterial growth. The slurry is heated up to 50�-55�
C. and held at that temperature for 12-24 hours, or until the desired
degree of solubilization is reached. The resulting autolyzed yeast
material is then pasteurized at 80�-100� C., cooled, and centrifuged or
filtered. The filtrate may be concentrated to a paste of about 70-80
weight percent solids, or spray dried to give a powdery yeast autolyzate
product.

Dries Muylaert

Feb 13, 2010, 5:03:26 AM2/13/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Nice detective work.Hmmm. A tiny bit above my capacities. Just some ideas. Washing the yeast as it comes out of the fermentation vessel will be necessary. Contains lots of debris/impurities and you can do without that. Salt and temperature are no problem. The antiseptics are. Doses seem to be low (not alarming), and I suspect they (was thinking of methylacetaat) will get out of solution if the autolysed yeast is cooled. What remains probably will be removed with boiling. Seems to be a better idea to use methyl alcohol as an antiseptic. That could mean one needs to ad salt to a yeast deposit covered with cider (or a methyl-water solution)and bring up the temperature. Filtering is the main problem. Never used a filter before in cidermaking. What is to be removed and what filter strength to use? I mean, what are the valuable products after autolyses and what is to be removed. Is filtering really necessary? Questions leading to questions, and such is live. I'll give it a go when plenty of time. But now the priorities in our city are somewhat different: http://fotoalbum.seniorennet.be/perman/carnaval_oilsjt_2009/foto=538163

Timmy R

Feb 13, 2010, 4:04:22 PM2/13/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Can you please unsubscribe me for now? Thanks and thanks all for the great info....I'll follow on the site.

Cheers,

Timmy

JezH

Feb 13, 2010, 5:27:54 PM2/13/10
to Cider Workshop
No problem Tim, do rejoin if you ever need any more help

All the best

Jez

from Heather

Feb 13, 2010, 9:51:03 PM2/13/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Oh my! We were in a beer store today, and I got to browsing their candy, mostly English, I think, and they had a few condiments. Low and behold, they had vegemite and marmite! Since my husband was not at all intrested in this little cultural exchange, only got the marmite.

www.marmite.co.uk. 125g. Yeast extract, salt, vegetable extract, niacin, thiamin, spice extracts (contians celery), riboflavin, folic acid, vitamin B12

So how does one eat this again? On toast with marmalade?

> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:24:58 +0000
> From: y...@cider.org.uk
> To: cider-w...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: Re: [Cider Workshop] Re: What is Marmite?

Peter Ellis

Feb 14, 2010, 1:47:41 AM2/14/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Heather

Spread it VERY thinly on toast as the flavour is very concentrated. The
marmalade goes on a different piece of toast.

Enjoy !

Peter

> Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. Get it now.

> <http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469228/direct/01/>

Peter Ellis

Porec Sales Office
Croatia Property Services
A trading name of Peter Ellis Grupa d.o.o.
Selling in the new Tuscany!

Tel +385 (0) 92 247 5879 Personal
+385 (0) 981 82 62 40

Glenn Sutcliffe

Feb 14, 2010, 4:04:02 AM2/14/10
to Cider Workshop
Hi Heather,

Butter your toast, then spread Marmite thinly over, as you would with
marmalade.

Glenn

On Feb 14, 6:47 am, Peter Ellis

Peter Ellis

Feb 14, 2010, 6:34:42 AM2/14/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Glenn. I'd forgotten the butter.. I'd spread marmalade more
thickly though ! If I spread Marmite as thickly as marmelade it would
be inedible.

Cheers

Peter

--
Peter Ellis

Glenn Sutcliffe

Feb 14, 2010, 7:44:24 AM2/14/10
to Cider Workshop
Hi Peter,

As a life long Marmite fan I like my Marmite thickly spread, I love
the 'bite' and then follow up with thickly spread fine cut home made
marmalade on Hovis Seed Sensation bread, helped down with Tesco Finest
Fairtrade tea, just great. On the health angle I do not add salt to
any other meal!

Glenn

On Feb 14, 11:34 am, Peter Ellis

> >>http://www.croatiapropertyservices.comhttp://croatiaproperty.proboard...

from Heather

Mar 5, 2010, 12:35:42 PM3/5/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Wow, I thought Marmite was intense enough as it is...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/mar/05/marmite-toast-xo-yeast-extract