Pressing Semi-Frozen Apples

nfcider

Nov 29, 2010, 3:34:43 PM11/29/10
to Cider Workshop
With the plummeting temperatures our last load of apples have a frozen
top layer to them ,and it has cerainly slowed down the pressing side
of things,in the barn it's been down to -2C,John's found the
Goodnature hydraulic system very slow because the oil has become
thicker and in the early morning making the pump labour,it's so cold
that the pulp was freezing to the side of the bags,have ended up going
to the local hire centre and hired a propane space heater to try and
lift the temp a bit in the morning to thin the oil.
One thing I have noticed is the SG has started creeping up ,same mix
of apples from the same orchard is 3degrees higher ,I wondered if we
are now getting an "ice wine" effect with some of the fruit being
ground up in a semi frozen state
Barry

Tim

Nov 29, 2010, 4:15:14 PM11/29/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
We have just done a -2c cheese using completely frozen apples, the vintage
scratter just eat them up and spat them out as per usual, making the cheese
was the hard part as it was freezing when you put your hands in the pummy,
the way it was running in the unheated shed was amazing, hopefully will be
an interesting brew.

Tim in Dorset

James Fidell

Nov 29, 2010, 4:16:17 PM11/29/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

I'm in the same position. I have frozen apples on the ground and even
some in my washing tub that are frozen in the water so I can't remove
them to press them.

I'm hopeful that once I am able to press them I should get more juice
out of them thanks to the ice crystals destroying the internal structure
of the apples, but I'll probably let them thaw pretty much all the way
rather than trying to press them with the ice crystals intact to raise
the SG. My YMs are working out in the high 1050s anyhow, which is
plenty for me, really.

James

nfcider

Nov 29, 2010, 4:48:43 PM11/29/10
to Cider Workshop
I can't get over the size of the Yarlington Mills this year,no doubt
because of the wonderful fruit set,(God help us next year because I
can't see much lateral growth!) , they were no bigger than ping pong
balls and the Cacquerval machine was going about 3 to 4 paces to fill
the basket,as Rose said earlier the exrta skin should bring out the
flavour.
Barry

tim-...@supanet.com

Nov 29, 2010, 5:33:25 PM11/29/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Pressed all day Saturday and Sunday with difficulty as the water in the
wash bath kept freezing, and the hose pipe kept freezing while washing the
racks and clothes between pressing, but the Voran mill munched through the
freezing apples with no problem. Couldent press today however, mainly as
the water to the farm was completly frozen and the apples were all frozen
in the sacks. I hope the tempreture rises soon, as I still have two tons
of apples to press! Tim (Tutts Clump Cider)

> --

Planet Ink Club is a great way to save money and help the environment.
Join today (http://www.planetinkclub.com)

This message has been scanned by Supanet for viruses and dangerous content using ClamAV and SpamAssassin.

jez....@btinternet.com

Nov 29, 2010, 5:39:51 PM11/29/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I am so glad I wasn't the only one freezing my nadgers off! I had to abandon cleaning up last night as the wash water was freezing as it hit the wood!

Didn't notice a vast increase in yield or SG though...

Its something else though eh! I had 2 pairs of marigolds under my gauntlets and still had numb fingers!

Happy days!

Jez

tim-...@supanet.com

Nov 29, 2010, 5:48:16 PM11/29/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I was freezing cold and wet through, and it dident help when i slipped up
flat on my back on the ice! The cold certainly slows the process up as I
only managed to press about 150 gallons all weekend, when normally will do
200 gallons a day! Couldent get help this weekend either, which slows
things down even furthur doing the whole process on your lonesome! Tim
(Tutts Clump Cider)

jez....@btinternet.com

Nov 29, 2010, 5:54:30 PM11/29/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
You get help??? Shurely that's cheating:-)

I agree. Its not just the press etc that slows down... Operator fatigue, I think its called!

Oh for a temperature controlled press room with a nice Bucher press and stainless steel tanks and white wellies and... Hee hee hee!

Jez

I was freezing cold and wet through, and it dident help when i slipped up
flat on my back on the ice! The cold certainly slows the process up as I
only managed to press about 150 gallons all weekend, when normally will do
200 gallons a day! Couldent get help this weekend either, which slows
things down even furthur doing the whole process on your lonesome! Tim
(Tutts Clump Cider)

> I am so glad I wasn't the only one freezing my nadgers off! I had to
> abandon cleaning up last night as the wash water was freezing as it hit
> the wood!
>
> Didn't notice a vast increase in yield or SG though...
>
> Its something else though eh! I had 2 pairs of marigolds under my
> gauntlets and still had numb fingers!
>
> Happy days!
>
> Jez
> Sent from my BlackBerryŽ wireless device

TimWale

Nov 30, 2010, 1:56:36 PM11/30/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Water not frozen today, so washed and milled six sacks of apples, then we
had a power cut, and the whole village was off, brilliant. No one said life
was easy!