RE: [Cider Workshop] US-based: brewpub affiliation as a way to commercial sales

Stephen Linne

Feb 16, 2010, 7:34:58 AM2/16/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
I do not think Federal law will allow Cider making on a brewery site. Check State law as well. In Maine, breweries cannot make Cider since it is classified as a wine and wineries cannot make barley wine since it is classified as a beer.Steve Linne
Blacksmiths Winery

Feb 16, 2010, 2:34:20 PM2/16/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Steve might be right on that. Wandering Aengus Ciderworks just to the south of Nat, and myself, in Salem, OR is licensed as a winery. Nat, you might also poise the question to OSU since they have a fermentation major and would be the extention office providers. Maybe they know something? I'm curious what you find out.

Heather

From: ste...@maine.rr.com
To: cider-w...@googlegroups.com
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 07:34:58 -0500

Dick Dunn

Feb 16, 2010, 9:21:36 PM2/16/10
to cider-w...@googlegroups.com

(What Steve had said was:
>> I do not think Federal law will allow Cider making on a brewery site...

Steve is right in principle, as well as in practice: Cider is wine,
and breweries and wineries must be separate.
There are some odd dodges--for example a brewery can make a "cider" if it
has some amount of malt in it. And there's a way for a brewery and a
winery to alternate the use of premises. But none of this is where you
want to go if you're trying to ease your way into commercial cidermaking--
it's buying you more complexity than you need.

In the legal sense in the US, cider is wine, so the place where it is
made is legally a winery. (State laws may or may not say anything about
combining a brewery and winery, but that doesn't matter because you still
must meet federal constraints, which dictate that the two cannot be
combined.)

But back to Nat's question: The simple answer is just to work with a
winery. And yes, that is a good way to go, if you can find the right
winery. It's what I've done for three years now--I work with a small
winery (actually a meadery, but mead is wine too) in a nearby town.

Here's what I suggest--not the only way to do it, but it has worked for
me: Make an agreement with the winery that you will make cider on their
premises. Tell them what batch size you want to make and about how long
you expect it to take--this is particularly important if you're using
their equipment since they need to know how long the vessels will be
tied up. Since the cider is made under their license, it will carry
their label. They will have to be the sellers-of-record, and they will
pay the taxes. Agree on what expenses are to be charged against sales.
(Remember testing, bottles, labels, caps.)
You can approach it as you selling them juice at an agreed price, after
which they make the cider, although of course you'll be deeply involved!
Decide how you'll divide the profit after expenses are reckoned.

BTW, the cider must be made on the winery premises; you cannot ferment it
yourself and take it to them afterward.
--
Dick Dunn rc...@talisman.com Hygiene, Colorado USA