Apple bluetooth multi-touch trackpad likely coming soon

TenThousandThings

Jul 20, 2010, 8:59:34 AM7/20/10
to Chinese Mac
It looks like this is going to happen, and the photos that surfaced a
few months ago were not fakes:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/19/mysterious_new_bluetooth_apple_product_given_fcc_approval.html

This will surely mean Chinese handwriting input for all bluetooth-
eqiupped Macs.

Kang-Ling Weng

Jul 27, 2010, 11:50:43 AM7/27/10
to chine...@googlegroups.com
Does someone already know if Apple's Magic Trackpad
supports chinese Handwriting Input?

It should right? But there was nothing mentioned on the product page..
Well few days until the first user reports will arrive.

Tom Gewecke

Jul 28, 2010, 7:17:59 AM7/28/10
to chine...@googlegroups.com
There is a positive answer on this page, although the writer doesn't explicitly say he has done it himself:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC380LL/A

TenThousandThings

Jul 28, 2010, 10:14:22 AM7/28/10
to Chinese Mac
I'm going to try to buy one today, and will report back as soon as I
know.

TenThousandThings

Jul 29, 2010, 2:12:11 PM7/29/10
to Chinese Mac
On Jul 28, 10:14 am, TenThousandThings <hello.ras...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm going to try to buy one today, and will report back as soon as I
> know.

They went on sale today -- I got one, and it works on my first-
generation Intel Mac Pro. There are, however, some things to note,
including one bug:

1. You must be using 10.6.4 (this is required for the Magic Trackpad
anyways, so moot) and obviously you need Bluetooth, and you must run
Software Update after you have installed the trackpad to get Magic
Trackpad and Multi-Touch Trackpad Update 1.0: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4254

2. After you've got this installed, make sure the trackpad is
connected and then open System Preferences > Language & Text > Input
Sources, where "Trackpad Handwriting" will appear as an option under
both Simplified and Traditional Chinese. If it doesn't appear right
away, then deactivate all your Chinese input methods, restart, and
then reactivate them.

3. BUG: On a MacBook, an option to select "Trackpad Handwriting"
appears in the Input Menu options when you have a Chinese input method
active. At this point on my machine, after several restarts and some
fiddling around, I still don't have that menu option. Nonetheless, I
can start up the handwriting input using the control-shift-spacebar
keyboard shortcut, so it's not a huge problem.

Amoney

Jul 31, 2010, 3:35:27 PM7/31/10
to Chinese Mac
Hello,

I've been looking for a good solution for my father-in-law for some
time and I got the Magic Track Pad today. I can confirm that it works
exactly as TenThousandthings reports on my 2009 Mac Mini.

-Aaron