Chicago Boss 0.7.0 is available

Evan Miller

Feb 1, 2012, 4:49:31 PM2/1/12
to ChicagoBoss
Chicago Boss 0.7.0 makes significant changes to how the server is
started and stopped, uses rebar for building projects, updates a
number of dependencies, and fixes a number of bugs. In other words,
it's a big release. Read on for details!

Download: http://www.chicagoboss.org/

Updated admin app: http://www.chicagoboss.org/cb_admin-0.7.0.tar.gz

**Important** upgrade instructions:
https://github.com/evanmiller/ChicagoBoss/wiki/Upgrades

CHANGES

The biggest changes are to use Rebar for builds and to simplify the
scripts. If you move an application you now just need to change the
"path" config option in boss.config and don't need to muck with the
start-up scripts. Here are the new commands:

To start the development server: ./init-dev.sh

To start/stop/reload the production server: ./init.sh start | stop | reload

This means you no longer need to use `kill` on the beam process to
stop the production server; you can just use the init script. Very
cool! Thanks to Jose Luis Gordo Romero for these much-needed changes.

In addition, we've moved most of the dependent modules into the "deps"
directory so that we can manage these with Rebar. Thanks to Bip Thelin
for patches.

Functional tests have been moved from src/test/ to
src/test/functional, and Eunit tests may now be placed into
src/test/eunit. Thanks again to Jose Luis Gordo Romero.

New "truncatechars" template filter in ErlyDTL. Thanks to Emilio Nyaray.

MongoDB is now "standard" and no longer requires a separate build
step. The default server is now Misultin instead of Mochiweb.

Chicago Boss now requires Erlang R14B01 or later.

BUG FIXES

- {json, Data} now accepts an empty list as well as a single
BossRecord as arguments. Thanks to Matt Husby.
- boss_web_test:find_link_with_text/2 now searches childless DOM
nodes. Thanks to Graeme Defty.
- View helper directories weren't being compiled correctly. My bad.
- The X-Forwarded-For header is correctly retrieved with Misultin

THE BOTTOM LINE

This is a big set of changes which upgrades many of the dependencies,
and there may be bugs. Please email the list if you find one. Overall
I'm very pleased with the progress that this release represents, and I
think it is much easier to manage multiple applications than it was
before (not to mention CB dependencies). Thanks to everyone who
contributed to this great release!

Evan

--
Evan Miller
http://www.evanmiller.org/

ll...@writersglen.com

Feb 1, 2012, 5:23:29 PM2/1/12
to chica...@googlegroups.com
Wow!

I am really grateful and psyched. CB just gets better and better.

I've played enough with CB to determine that it's the framework for me: The reliability and scalability of Erlang; solid, elegant, architecture; outstanding documentation; supportive community. The last two charms are particularly important to me, since I'm not a professional web developer and need hand-holding.

I've been totally focused on getting my latest novel out and building Erlang apps to support my publishing projects. I hope within a few weeks to focus seriously on integrating my apps in to CB. So 7.0 comes just in time.

I hope, as I go, I can contribute back to the CB project through help with documentation and, maybe, as my skills advance, code.

Thank you, Evan.

All the best,

LRP