Barbara, Danny, and the 'Parent Test'

Jorn Barger

Jul 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/7/95
In case you haven't heard, Barbara Walters will be interviewing the
Warburtons (aka the family formerly known as Doe) on 20/20 tonight (Fri).

I used to like BW, but she seems to have started thinking of herself
as some sort of royalty, and I dread to think how she's going to
milk the sentimentality of this occasion, tonight...

There's a little thought-experiment I made up some time ago, for
detecting bulls*** in political claims, that I call the 'parent
test'-- ask yourself which of the two contesting parties you'd rather
have raising you as *your* parents...

I first used this on Rush Limbaugh, when he was comparing a group
of liberals on a bus trip to DC, who were supposedly complaining
the whole way, with a group of dittoheads coming to watch Rush, who
sang songs all the way. It seems to me that at least 80% of
American youth would choose the liberals' bus, complaining or no,
and be utterly mortified to be caught with the Rush-ites, singing...

So when you watch Barbara and the Warburtons, watch their body
language, and ask yourself whether they're not frozen with
self-melodrama and neurotic attachment-- whether if you were their
child, you wouldn't feel smothered...?

And remember that *they* were the ones to drag the matter thru the
courts for four years, and *they* were the ones who staged the
media circus at the separation, and *they* were the ones who
refused to prepare Danny for the changeover until the last day...

I think the media has let themselves be manipulated disgracefully
on this one, by spoiled socialites like Brenda Edgar...

jo...@mcs.com

-Ronald H.Davis

Jul 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/8/95
In article <3tk3dq$b...@Venus.mcs.com>, Jorn Barger <jo...@MCS.COM> wrote:

>In case you haven't heard, Barbara Walters will be interviewing the
>Warburtons (aka the family formerly known as Doe) on 20/20 tonight (Fri).

[stuff deleted]

>And remember that *they* were the ones to drag the matter thru the
>courts for four years, and *they* were the ones who staged the
>media circus at the separation, and *they* were the ones who
>refused to prepare Danny for the changeover until the last day...
>
>I think the media has let themselves be manipulated disgracefully
>on this one, by spoiled socialites like Brenda Edgar...

i think that after the obviously staged separation scene, the
warburtons lost some sympathy because it seems that the local
media at least had pretty much ceased one-sided reporting of
the story. i think that dick kay and richard roeper were two
of the earliest to show the warburtons to be the manipulators
that they really are but now i think that bob greene is one of
the only people out there trying to make the warburtons look
like victims. to an even larger extent i think that among the
local media the whole thing is starting to fade into being an
old story...thank goodness!

--
__ ______ __ / __/ | at&t, naperville il, usa