Error installing cherry py on mandrake 10.1 please help

karunaworks

Oct 18, 2005, 5:49:44 AM10/18/05
to cherrypy-devel
I am new to cherry py and after much research got around to installing
it today. Upon doing:

python setup.py install from the cherry py directory I got the
following error:

unable to open /usr/lib/python2.4/config/Makefile (No such file or
directory)

I checked the /config directory does not exist under the python2.4
directory

Where do I go from here? I would like to be setup and coding my web app
in python and cherry py rather than php....however i need to get going.
please help thanks

Sylvain Hellegouarch

Oct 18, 2005, 6:00:11 AM10/18/05
to cherryp...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Looks like you're running a Mandriva or Fedora no?
Are you sure you have installed the Python devel package?

- Sylvain

bon...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2005, 5:58:50 AM10/18/05
to cherrypy-devel
You need to install the python related development pacakge first. This
is not handled by the TurboGears installation.

My recipe on Debian:

apt-get install build-dep celementtree

This would pull in most of the necessary things including any C stuff.
There should be some similar procedure for Fedora or Mandrake. BTW, I
think you should read the non-root installation as well about
setuptools. TurboGears has a 90% chance of conflicting with most *nix
installation. The non-root installation would save you lots of time
figuring that out. Even in the future when you want to upgrade(just
create another root tree and bootstrap a new TurboGear environment,
much easier than trying in place upgrade TurboGears).

karunaworks

Oct 19, 2005, 7:29:24 AM10/19/05
to cherrypy-devel
Thanks so much... I had not installed the python dev package. I am
running mandrake 10.2, I simply installed this package from the RPM
installer and it worked.

I am very excited to start my web project now using python and cherry
py.

I have picked IDLE as the IDE.

I am currently trying to installArgoUML as the modelling tool..

Any suggestions on any other modelling tools or any tweaks to my
development environment which would make it ideally suited to
developing my web app....

thanks once again for your help