2011

Kenneth Gonsalves

Oct 3, 2010, 11:17:28 PM10/3/10
to Chennaipy
hi,

it is time to start work on the 2011 conference. The first deadline is
20th december by which the dates, number of days and venue must be
settled. Let us start by discussing this post:

http://nibrahim.net.in/journal/?p=283

and making a list of things we need to do. First of all we need a
coordinator.

thoughts?
--
regards
KG

kausikram krishnasayee

Oct 3, 2010, 11:23:00 PM10/3/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <law...@thenilgiris.com> wrote:
and making a list of things we need to do. First of all we need a
coordinator.
Stands up as promised last year. Need to set a team of people who would join us in running the show.

Rajeshwari,
please call for the next ChennaiPy meet and this time around we will make sure all of us attend, also please alot around half an hour to discuss ChennaiPy.

cheers,
kau
--
Kausikram Krishnasayee
Company: http://silverstripesoftware.com | Webpage: kausikram.in | Blog: blog.kausikram.in | Twitter: http://twitter.com/kausikram | Email: kaus...@gmail.com | Mobile: +91 9884246490

Sai Sridhar

Oct 4, 2010, 12:13:49 AM10/4/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
Hi!!
I only attended Aug Pymeet at College of Engineering.Of course there was no Sep meeting.
Slowly I'm understanding how powerful is Python in myriad applications.
I would personally request Py Gurus to focus on the multifaceted applications.
Since accounting is the application used by 99.9999% of computer users,I'm looking forward
to this application being developed so that the feel of power of Python spreads like wild fire.
Regards
Sai Sridhar

Kenneth Gonsalves

Oct 4, 2010, 1:13:29 AM10/4/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 09:43 +0530, Sai Sridhar wrote:
> I only attended Aug Pymeet at College of Engineering.Of course there
> was no
> Sep meeting.

this thread is meant to discuss pycon India 2011 - please start a
separate thread for discussing your idea.

Raji Seetharaman

Oct 4, 2010, 1:38:44 AM10/4/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:53 AM, kausikram krishnasayee <kaus...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <law...@thenilgiris.com> wrote:
and making a list of things we need to do. First of all we need a
coordinator.
Stands up as promised last year. Need to set a team of people who would join us in running the show.

Rajeshwari,
please call for the next ChennaiPy meet and this time around we will make sure all of us attend, also please alot around half an hour to discuss ChennaiPy.

yeah sure i welcome you all to this month ChennaiPy meet.

A kind request - come forward to attend all the ChennaiPy meetings

Will mail later about the venue and time

Regards

Raji

Noufal Ibrahim

Oct 4, 2010, 2:15:27 AM10/4/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 04 2010, kausikram krishnasayee wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 8:47 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <law...@thenilgiris.com>wrote:
>
>> and making a list of things we need to do. First of all we need a
>> coordinator.
>>
> Stands up as promised last year. Need to set a team of people who would join
> us in running the show.
>
> Rajeshwari,
> please call for the next ChennaiPy meet and this time around we will make
> sure all of us attend, also please alot around half an hour to discuss
> ChennaiPy.

[...]

If you guys can make an outline agenda and something like minutes after
the meeting you're planning to hold to kick things off and send it to
inpycon, we'd be able to contribute as well.

Kenneth Gonsalves

Oct 4, 2010, 2:27:48 AM10/4/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 11:45 +0530, Noufal Ibrahim wrote:
> > Rajeshwari,
> > please call for the next ChennaiPy meet and this time around we will
> make
> > sure all of us attend, also please alot around half an hour to
> discuss
> > ChennaiPy.
>
> [...]
>
> If you guys can make an outline agenda and something like minutes
> after
> the meeting you're planning to hold to kick things off and send it to
> inpycon, we'd be able to contribute as well.

this is the first meeting where we would like to sort out internal
issues. Anything that affects the conference will be cc-ed to inpycon
(and later the whole discussion will be moved there). Among things
discussed in Bangalore were:

preliminary opinion in favour of Rajalakshmi engineering college. They
sent 30-40 delegates last year and 40 this year. Some issues:

1. They are outside the city and far from the noise and pollution. On
the national highway, close to the airport and closer to Bangalore by
road.

2. Sriperumbudur is a tourist spot with lot of hotels - of all varieties
which could be booked in advance and delegates can get the rooms on
payment on a first come first served basis.

3. College has a fleet of buses to ferry people from the city.

4. We need to look into availability of guest houses and hostel
accommodation also.

5. Availability of a/c auditoria and labs for hands on tutorials

6. Smaller rooms for speaker meetings/reception, volunteers and BOFS

anything else? any other venues?

as for dates - 3 day conference or 2 day? I prefer one day of tutorials
and newbie orientation to proceed a 2 day conference so that newbies are
better equipped to appreciate the talks.

Roshan Mathews

Oct 4, 2010, 2:48:48 AM10/4/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 11:57, Kenneth Gonsalves <law...@thenilgiris.com> wrote:
> this is the first meeting where we would like to sort out internal
> issues. Anything that affects the conference will be cc-ed to inpycon
> (and later the whole discussion will be moved there). Among things
> discussed in Bangalore were:
>
> preliminary opinion in favour of Rajalakshmi engineering college. They
> sent 30-40 delegates last year and 40 this year. Some issues:

<snip>

> as for dates - 3 day conference or 2 day? I prefer one day of tutorials
> and newbie orientation to proceed a 2 day conference so that newbies are
> better equipped to appreciate the talks.
>
> thoughts?

Here are some:

1. We should keep the entire discussion on inpycon from the start,
will make it easier to find later if needed. Just place
fortnightly or monthly reminders on ChennaiPy about the discussions
in InPycon.

2. If we haven't finalized on Rajalakshmi EC already, I'd like to have
IIT-M considered as an alternate location. More in-city, plus
closer to airport, guindy and adyar stations, etc.

3. +1 for the 3 day conference, with a newbie track running all day
the day before the talks. There was some talk of sprints,
hackathons etc ... those could be discussed too.

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 08:47, Kenneth Gonsalves <law...@thenilgiris.com> wrote:
> and making a list of things we need to do. First of all we need a
> coordinator.

Someone who was involved in the first two PyCons, is in Chennai, can
make time for the event, and is willing. Kausikram Krishnasayee, is
one such person. Or you, if you come down from the mountains.

--
http://roshan.mathews.in/

Kenneth Gonsalves

Oct 4, 2010, 3:09:52 AM10/4/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 12:18 +0530, Roshan Mathews wrote:
> Here are some:
>
> 1. We should keep the entire discussion on inpycon from the start,
> will make it easier to find later if needed. Just place
> fortnightly or monthly reminders on ChennaiPy about the discussions
> in InPycon.

I think location should be up to this list - I remember being bored
stiff by location debates last year.

> 2. If we haven't finalized on Rajalakshmi EC already, I'd like to have
> IIT-M considered as an alternate location. More in-city, plus
> closer to airport, guindy and adyar stations, etc.

I can also get Anna University for this. But my problem with govt type
colleges is that they do not really care for things like this.
Facilities are minimal, the top brass are not involved. They sometimes
ask for money. They have a lot of do's and dont's. And I do not see
anyone from IITM in this group or at the conference. However, if you are
keen, please put forward a proposal with pros and cons.

> 3. +1 for the 3 day conference, with a newbie track running all day
> the day before the talks. There was some talk of sprints,
> hackathons etc ... those could be discussed too.
>
> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 08:47, Kenneth Gonsalves
> <law...@thenilgiris.com> wrote:
> > and making a list of things we need to do. First of all we need a
> > coordinator.
> >
> Someone who was involved in the first two PyCons, is in Chennai, can
> make time for the event, and is willing. Kausikram Krishnasayee, is
> one such person. Or you, if you come down from the mountains.

kausik it is - he has got inspired by the support from Chennai delegates
and promises to do a good job.

Roshan Mathews

Oct 4, 2010, 3:44:46 AM10/4/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:39, Kenneth Gonsalves <law...@thenilgiris.com> wrote:
> I think location should be up to this list - I remember being bored
> stiff by location debates last year.
>
> I can also get Anna University for this. But my problem with govt type
> colleges is that they do not really care for things like this.
> Facilities are minimal, the top brass are not involved. They sometimes
> ask for money. They have a lot of do's and dont's. And I do not see
> anyone from IITM in this group or at the conference. However, if you are
> keen, please put forward a proposal with pros and cons.

I've dropped an email to the Chennai LUG, lets hope somebody from IIT
/ Anna Univ drops in here. Apart from the location, what else will be
discussed at the next ChennaiPy meet?

> kausik it is - he has got inspired by the support from Chennai delegates
> and promises to do a good job.

If everyone agrees, then this sounds perfect. Can be discussed at the
next meet.

--
http://roshan.mathews.in/

Kenneth Gonsalves

Oct 4, 2010, 3:54:12 AM10/4/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 13:14 +0530, Roshan Mathews wrote:
> I've dropped an email to the Chennai LUG, lets hope somebody from IIT
> / Anna Univ drops in here. Apart from the location, what else will be
> discussed at the next ChennaiPy meet?

dates - 3rd week of september - just make sure to avoid festivals. From
then on we move to the inpycon list.

Noufal Ibrahim

Oct 4, 2010, 4:31:21 AM10/4/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Oct 04 2010, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 12:18 +0530, Roshan Mathews wrote:
>> Here are some:
>>
>> 1. We should keep the entire discussion on inpycon from the start,
>> will make it easier to find later if needed. Just place
>> fortnightly or monthly reminders on ChennaiPy about the discussions
>> in InPycon.
>
> I think location should be up to this list - I remember being bored
> stiff by location debates last year.

One of the the reasons we made that list (rather than conducting
discussions on BangPypers) was so that we could do PyCon India rather
than PyCon Bangalore. I think moving discussions over to that one would
be good since it contains people from other than chennai who are
interested in helping out with the conference. It will also have people
who are not on this list *from* Chennai who can help out. Sending an
open invitiation to this list (and any other regional) ones to join
inpycon to discuss PyCon 2011 is, in my opinion, the right way to go.

Boredom with discussions doesn't (atleast to me) seem like a good idea
to move away from a topical list.

[...]

>> 3. +1 for the 3 day conference, with a newbie track running all day
>> the day before the talks. There was some talk of sprints, hackathons
>> etc ... those could be discussed too.

I generally feel that a 3 day event with one day dedicated to newbies is
a good way to go. Sprints and stuff are nice but it would make sense to
advertise and have people announce those in advance since when we kept
time for that in 2009, no one turned up. The problem though is that it
will move to a weekday and so there might be problems with colleges no?

[...]

Raji Seetharaman

Oct 4, 2010, 12:02:21 PM10/4/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
I have some ideas to share here

One more location strikes in my mind is - Crescent Engineering College
Its a private institution with good facilities
The college has a very big a/c auditorium, a/c lecture halls.
It's also closer to city, airport

I feel the conference can be a two day event.
We can have a separate track for newbies within the two days itself
Since we dont know that whether there will be a good strength on 3rd day (because the strength became
half on 2nd day of Pycon India 2010)
Also as pointed out by Noufal, it will fall on weekday so the students and office goers has to get permission from their respective heads.

Regards

Raji
--
http://sraji.wordpress.com/

kashyap garimella

Oct 4, 2010, 12:05:08 PM10/4/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am Kashyap from IITM. I sent a mail to this group, but somehow it didn't appear in the group. Can somebody check if it went to the spam?

Cheers,
Kashyap

Pari

Oct 4, 2010, 9:49:30 AM10/4/10
to Chennaipy

On Oct 4, 12:44 pm, Roshan Mathews <rmath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:39, Kenneth Gonsalves <law...@thenilgiris.com> wrote:
> > I think location should be up to this list - I remember being bored
> > stiff by location debates last year.
>
> > I can also get Anna University for this. But my problem with govt type
> > colleges is that they do not really care for things like this.
> > Facilities are minimal, the top brass are not involved. They sometimes
> > ask for money. They have a lot of do's and dont's. And I do not see
> > anyone from IITM in this group or at the conference. However, if you are
> > keen, please put forward a proposal with pros and cons.
>
> I've dropped an email to the Chennai LUG, lets hope somebody from IIT
> / Anna Univ drops in here.  Apart from the location, what else will be
> discussed at the next ChennaiPy meet?

I am from anna university and just saw your message on the LUGC
mailing list,
I will speak to the HOD of the CSE department and get back to you guys
tomorrow

> --http://roshan.mathews.in/

Kashyap Garimella

Oct 4, 2010, 9:55:40 AM10/4/10
to Chennaipy
Hi all,

I am from IIT Madras. Sorry for the late response from my group. I
went through the PyCon website and found that it is very interesting.
Personally, I would like to have the conference in my institute. Our
insti has lot of resources. But there are some problems:
1. Generally we have our institute fest, Shaastra, in the first week
of October. Therefore conducting this in the last of September will be
tough for us, unless we get some help from you.
2. As we are all students, we need help from some professors to
conduct this. It will take some time, say a couple of days, to discuss
with them and get the final nod.

I will post on the iitm hackers club and find out if anybody is
willing to help and will discuss with some of my professors. I request
you to please give me at least 2 days for it. I cannot assure anything
as of now. I'm very sorry for that.

Thanking you,
Kashyap
IIT Madras Hackers' Club
http://groups.google.co.in/group/iitm-hackers-club
http://www.cse.iitm.ac.in/~osslab/wiki

Kenneth Gonsalves

Oct 4, 2010, 8:38:28 PM10/4/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 21:32 +0530, Raji Seetharaman wrote:
> One more location strikes in my mind is - Crescent Engineering College
> Its a private institution with good facilities
> The college has a very big a/c auditorium, a/c lecture halls.
> It's also closer to city, airport

where is it? Do we have staff/students in the college who can make
arrangements?

> I feel the conference can be a two day event.
> We can have a separate track for newbies within the two days itself
> Since we dont know that whether there will be a good strength on 3rd
> day
> (because the strength became
> half on 2nd day of Pycon India 2010)
> Also as pointed out by Noufal, it will fall on weekday so the students
> and
> office goers has to get permission from their respective heads.

attendence always falls on the second day of a conference. This is
because the students have a small attention span and usually can only
take one day. The main conference is for more serious people who usually
stay for two days. As for having the conference on friday also, those
really interested will take leave and come (those who will only come if
it is OOD are not the type of people we want). Anyway, this point can be
decided in the inpycon list. Here we just want proposals for venues with
details - then we go on the inpycon list for final decision.

Kenneth Gonsalves

Oct 4, 2010, 8:44:15 PM10/4/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 21:35 +0530, kashyap garimella wrote:
> I am Kashyap from IITM. I sent a mail to this group, but somehow it
> didn't
> appear in the group. Can somebody check if it went to the spam?

first post by any member is moderated (to keep out spammers). Your
future posts will not be moderated.

Raji Seetharaman

Oct 5, 2010, 1:21:48 AM10/5/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
> One more location strikes in my mind is - Crescent Engineering College
> Its a private institution with good facilities
> The college has a very big a/c auditorium, a/c lecture halls.
> It's also closer to city, airport

where is it? Do we have staff/students in the college who can make
arrangements?

The college is located near to Anna Zoological Park.

From Tambaram it will take  20 min bus travel to reach the college

At present i dont know any students from that college

Since im a alumni of that college, i know some of the staffs there.

> I feel the conference can be a two day event.
> We can have a separate track for newbies within the two days itself
> Since we dont know that whether there will be a good strength on 3rd
> day
> (because the strength became
> half on 2nd day of Pycon India 2010)
> Also as pointed out by Noufal, it will fall on weekday so the students
> and
> office goers has to get permission from their respective heads.

attendence always falls on the second day of a conference. This is
because the students have a small attention span and usually can only
take one day. The main conference is for more serious people who usually
stay for two days. As for having the conference on friday also, those
really interested will take leave and come (those who will only come if
it is OOD are not the type of people we want). Anyway, this point can be
decided in the inpycon list. Here we just want proposals for venues with
details - then we go on the inpycon list for final decision.

Fine. Will talk about the venues now.

Regards

Raji

--
http://sraji.wordpress.com/

kashyap garimella

Oct 5, 2010, 7:53:05 AM10/5/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Currently one of professors agreed to this event. He said that there should be some volunteers to help us. We currently have 4 volunteers(including me). If anybody here is interested, they can also become a volunteer. As a volunteer, you need to help in organizing, mostly sending mails, etc.

Coming to the resources, IIT is full of halls and meeting places :D. We have many auditoriums and rooms. All we need to do is to show the professors that we are interested in organizing there, properly. If we can do it, then we can get anything we want.

Therefore I request once again, all those who are in Chennai, and are interested in organizing to reply to this thread.

Cheers,
Kashyap

Kenneth Gonsalves

Oct 5, 2010, 8:17:13 AM10/5/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 17:23 +0530, kashyap garimella wrote:
> Therefore I request once again, all those who are in Chennai, and are
> interested in organizing to reply to this thread.

here is a checklist - all those people who are interested in hosting
please see what you can fulfill from this:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyconIndiaChecklist

kashyap garimella

Oct 5, 2010, 1:45:50 PM10/5/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I just saw the checklist. As of now, I can say that AC rooms, class rooms for Bofs, etc., are ample in our campus. I don't know about accommodation. But there are many hotels outside IIT. Currently I can only tell you that there are many students interested in helping this event. You can check this thread to see a discussion in our community:

http://groups.google.com/group/iitm-hackers-club/browse_thread/thread/cad9a55f6d1e30ac

We need some time to group together and talk to the professors about this conference. I request you to please give some time. I can assure you that IIT is one of the best campuses in Chennai and we would be very previliged to hold such a conference.

Thanking you,
Kashyap Garimella

Kenneth Gonsalves

Oct 5, 2010, 8:46:03 PM10/5/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 23:15 +0530, kashyap garimella wrote:
> conference. I request you to please give some time.

there is time till December 20th to decide the venue. After institutes
give their proposals, we will take it to the inpycon list for a final
decision.

lawgon

Oct 5, 2010, 9:05:02 PM10/5/10
to Chennaipy

On Oct 5, 10:45 pm, kashyap garimella <garimella.kash...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I don't know about accommodation.

one clarification: by hostel accommodation I do not mean that vacant
rooms be made available - I mean are there students who are willing to
accommodate students in their rooms. Also in some of the places I have
held events, the hostels have a few guest rooms available.

Roshan Mathews

Oct 13, 2010, 12:00:59 AM10/13/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 23:15, kashyap garimella
<garimell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We need some time to group together and talk to the professors about this
> conference. I request you to please give some time. I can assure you that
> IIT is one of the best campuses in Chennai and we would be very previliged
> to hold such a conference.

So was anything decided? When is the next ChennaiPy meeting?

--
http://roshan.mathews.in/

Raji

Oct 13, 2010, 6:37:51 AM10/13/10
to chen...@googlegroups.com
<garimell...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We need some time to group together and talk to the professors about this
> conference. I request you to please give some time. I can assure you that
> IIT is one of the best campuses in Chennai and we would be very previliged
> to hold such a conference.

  When is the next ChennaiPy meeting?

This month meeting is on 23 - 10 - 2010

Note: ChennaiPy meet will falls on every fourth Saturday of every month.

--
Regards

Raji

http://sraji.wordpress.com/