[CFIG] Welcome Back!

Michael sher

Sep 5, 2012, 11:01:27 PM9/5/12
to cfig-columbia
Hey team,

Welcome back to school! I hope everyone had a great summer. CFIG's first meeting will be taking place next Wednesday (9/12) from 8:30 to 9:30 in Hamilton. We'll have more details on the meeting and room number next week.

In the meantime there are a few events and opportunities coming up that we would like everyone to be aware of. The Columbia Club Fair is this Friday (9/7) in Low Plaza. Be sure to stop by the CFIG table and say hi to the e-board. The Barnard Career Fair will also be taking place on Friday (9/7) from 11:00-3:00 in LeFrak Gymnasium. If you want to avoid the long lines then we suggest you preregister here.

If anyone is interested in joining the Columbia team for the Cornell Undergraduate Stock Pitch Challenge please send a resume to jason....@gmail.com by next Thursday (9/13). The competition will be held at Cornell's campus in Ithaca from 9/24 until 9/25. Each team is required to prepare two recommendations from a set of stock picks for a panel of judges.

Everyone should apply but we highly recommend this event for current sophomores, juniors and seniors not involved in full time recruiting this month. The first place team receives a prize of $3,000 and the second place team receives $1,500. As an added bonus the competition gives participants valuable experience, an excellent resume addition and a great networking opportunities. For more information see the attached message below or go here.

In addition, there are a number of upcoming events, deadlines and information sessions coming up for BlackRock, AllianceBernstein, Citi and Peter J. Solomon Company. See the attached information below for more details on that and the Cornell Stock Pitch Competition:

Cornell Stock Pitch Competition:

Hope you are well!  We are excited to announce that our second annual Undergraduate Stock Pitch Challenge (http://www2.johnson.cornell.edu/parkercenter/undergradstockpitch/index.html  ) will be held in Ithaca, NY at Cornell University on September 24 and September 25.  Once again, we would like to invite your school to send a team of three members (juniors, seniors, and exceptional sophomores in the 2012-13 academic year), one of whom must be female.  As before, your team will have one week to prepare 2 investment recommendations from a set of stocks for the two-round competition.   All teams will be housed at the Statler Hotel on campus.   The judges are portfolio managers and senior equity analysts drawn from sponsoring firms, including Fidelity Investments (lead sponsor), Wellington Management, and potentially other firms, including BlackRock.  First place winners get $3000 and second place winners get $1500.  Importantly, the event is meant to facilitate recruiting and networking opportunities for students so resume books of all participants will be distributed to sponsoring firms.   We recommend that your school hold internal competitions to determine your team and want to emphasize that the competition is most appropriate for students interested in pursuing equity research careers, either on the buyside (money management firms) or the sellside (investment banks), who don’t already have job offers.

AllianceBernstein (9/6):

cid:685254914@24022009-22E0

Launch your career with AllianceBernstein!

Date:                Thursday, September 6, 2012

Time:               6:00 PM - 7:00 PM

Location:          The Center for Career Education Conference Room at Columbia University

East Campus Building, Lower Level

116th Street and Amsterdam Avenue

Food and Drinks will be provided

Dear Financial Investment Group,

We hope you had a wonderful summer!

The 2012 Fall recruiting season is rapidly approaching, and we’re jump-starting our process with a special session for you.

We cordially invite you and your members to an information session to learn about AllianceBernstein, a global investment management firm.  We have a number of full-time opportunities for graduating seniors in our various Rotational Associate Programs.

Representatives from Information Technology and Global Operations, as well as from the businesses we support -- Asset Allocation, Equities, Fixed Income, and Private Client -- will be on hand to answer your questions.

It’s a great opportunity for everyone!

We are recruiting specifically for the following:

·         Software Development

·         Infrastructure Engineers

·         Operations (Global Analytics & Institutional Management)

·         Business Analysis

Positions begin either at the end of December 2012 or in late June 2013.

To apply for the AllianceBernstein Associate Programs, submit your resume through AllianceBernstein Careers website at www.alliancebernstein.com/careers

·         Global Analytics = ID # 5087

·         Institutional Management = ID # 5088

·         Business Analyst = ID # posted Wednesday/Thursday

We look forward to meeting you there.

Thank you!

Scotty

________________________

Scotty Embree, Ph.D.

Assistant Vice President and Manager,

Associate Programs in Technology & in Operations

212-823-7946

Emily O’Neil.

Recruiting Coordinator and Program Assistant

212-823-7763

Robert McWilliams

Senior Vice President and Director, IT Professional Development & Communications

Associate Program in Technology & Global Operations at AllianceBernstein

1345 Avenue of the Americas

New York, New York  10105

Please use this email address: TAPProgramIT@alliancebernstein.com

BlackRock (9/12) and (9/13):

You're Invited: BlackRock@Columbia

At BlackRock You'll Make a Living and Make a Difference

At BlackRock, you can make a living and make a difference – for the parents and grandparents, the doctors and teachers who rely on us to protect their futures. That’s why we occupy such a unique place in the financial industry, and why we can offer YOU such a unique start to your own exciting career. Whatever your interest, there is a place for you to grow here – across businesses, backgrounds and borders.

Please join us for our events on campus learn how BlackRock can offer you a unique start to your career.

DATE & TIME:

Information Session | September 12th, 5:00pm

Tech-Talk | September 13th, 7:00pm

LOCATION:

Information Session | Faculty House, Skyline Room

Tech-Talk | Computer Science Building, Computer Science Lounge

DRESS CODE:
Business Attire

Please feel free to invite your fellow classmates and friends at Columbia who are interested in learning more about full-time opportunities at BlackRock.

About BlackRock
BlackRock was founded to provide answers to the millions of investors who entrust their money to us. It’s a responsibility we take extremely seriously, as the world’s largest investment manager. And this responsibility has never been more important than right now – in today’s new and challenging world of investing.

That’s why BlackRock works only for our clients – period. It’s why we have built our world-class capabilities around our clients’ greatest needs. And it’s why many of the world’s biggest governments, companies and investors have turned to BlackRock in these challenging times.

The new world of investing awaits you. Don’t let it pass you by.

START YOUR
BLACKROCK CAREER

blackrock.com/campus

@BlackRockCampus

JOIN US ONLINE

youtube.com/blackrock

© 2012 BlackRock, Inc. All rights reserved. BLACKROCK, and INVESTING FOR A NEW WORLD are registered and unregistered trademarks of BlackRock, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States and elsewhere. All other trademarks are those of their respective owners.

Peter J. Solomon Company:

Hi CFIG,

My name is Nicole Savery and I am a graduate of Columbia College Class of 2011.  I work at Peter J. Solomon Company, a boutique investment banking firm located here in New York City.  We wanted to let Financial Investment Group’s members know that our online resume drop (through LionShare) for full-time analyst positions is open until September 15th and we will be interviewing on campus on Monday, September 24th.

Our firm has a strong connection with Columbia and has had success recruiting on campus in the past.  We currently have two analysts and three managing directors working at PJSC who are Columbia College alumni, in addition to several Columbia Business School graduates.

I firmly believe that PJSC is a great place to start a career in finance.  I invite you to check out our website, www.pjsolomon.com.  Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions about our firm or the recruiting process.

Best,

Nicole

Citi:

The Sophomore Diversity Leadership Program was developed to provide exceptional minority sophomore students (women, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, military veterans, people with disabilities and people of Black and Latino/Hispanic descent) with a 10-week summer experience and an introduction to our Institutional Clients Group businesses.  Successful Sophomore Analysts will be considered for our Diversity Scholars Program and for our Junior Summer Analyst Programs (placement will be based on personal interest and the needs of the firm).

Structure of the Program:

·         10- week paid internship

·         Direct placement within one of the Institutional Clients Group Analyst programs (Citi Corporate and Investment Banking, Citi Markets, & Cit Transaction Services)

·         A formal summer review process including a mid-summer and a final summer evaluation

 Qualifications:

·         Must be a sophomore pursuing a Baccalaureate Degree

·         Open to all disciplines and majors

·         GPA: 3.5 or above

·         Compensation: Competitive

·         Location(s): New York, NY

·         Must be authorized to work in the United States and must not require sponsorship for employment visa status. (This is a program for which we will not sponsor individuals for work authorization)

·         Current sophomore student with distinguished academic achievement and demonstrated leadership activities, interest in financial services, high level of personal integrity, commitment to excellence, enthusiasm, energy and a strong desire to learn

How to Apply:

To be considered for the Sophomore Diversity Leadership Program, all students must apply through Citi’s website at www.oncampus.citi.com:

·         Under Vacancy criteria, select US

·         Institutional Clients Group

·         Summer Analyst

·         Sophomore Diversity Leadership program

Application deadline:

·         October 12, 2102

Also, as part of Citi’s commitment to recruiting high-caliber talent and in accordance with our Diversity Recruiting Mission Statement, Citi Institutional Clients Group (ICG) is proud to sponsor the Citi Diversity Scholars Program for Sophomores.  Applicants who wish to apply to the Diversity Scholars Program will be eligible to receive a one-time taxable award of $5,000.  Once you complete your application online, you will prompted to apply for the Diversity Scholars Program.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Tiffany Harrison

Citi Graduate Recruitment

Phone:  (212) 816-6224

E-mail:  tiffany.harrison@citi.com

cid:image001.png@01CC6981.EB93C750

-Michael Sher
Columbia Financial Investment Group Co-President
image003.jpg
image004.jpg
image001.jpg
image001.jpg