Non-fiction book suggestions - Food For Thought suggestions

1 view

Steve

Mar 21, 2012, 1:11:04 PM3/21/12
to cfiaustin
It has been suggested that we designate books for several months in
advance, allowing more people time to obtain and read them.
The next few dates are shown below. Please send your suggestions.

NON-Fiction Book Group meet-ups:
Apr 19
May 17
Jun 21
Jul 29
Aug 16

Another thing: I am requesting that any CFI members who would like to
present a Food For Thought talk in July or August let me know what
topic you feel especially knowledgeable covering. Those dates are July
16 and Aug 20.

Megan Winget

Mar 21, 2012, 2:32:07 PM3/21/12
to cfia...@googlegroups.com
I've been wanting to read Passionate Minds: Emilie du Chatelet, Voltaire, and the Great Love Affair of the Enlightenment by David Bodanis. I don't think I could finish it by April 19, though.

--Megan

Steve Bratteng

Mar 21, 2012, 5:30:56 PM3/21/12
to cfia...@googlegroups.com
We can schedule it for May, OK?
--
Steve

Megan Winget

Mar 22, 2012, 9:53:23 AM3/22/12
to cfia...@googlegroups.com
Sure, I can do May 17. Is there a specific place and time that we do these things? Or do I need to find my own venue.

I'm probably going to open it up to my students and people in the Women's Studies department, although I know that school will be out by then.

--Megan

Steve Bratteng

Mar 22, 2012, 10:27:03 AM3/22/12
to cfia...@googlegroups.com
The book group meets at Yarborough branch library.
--
Steve

Steve

Mar 22, 2012, 11:37:56 AM3/22/12
to cfiaustin
Suggested Books so far
Apr 19 The Agile Gene (Nature Via Nurture) by Matt Ridley
May 17 Passionate Minds by David Bodanis
Jun 21 Turing's Cathedral by George Dyson
Jul 29
Aug 16

eric

Mar 23, 2012, 9:13:32 PM3/23/12
to cfiaustin
Whoops, I was trying to reply to this discussion and posted to teh
main CFI list instead.
April's book, The Agile Mind, sounded really good, and I was looking
forward to it. However, The APL doesn't have any copies, teh UT PCL
doesn't have any copies, and teh used copies thru amazon have an
estimated arrival time of 3/29-4/13. That huge window tells me the
listed booksellers probably don't even have a copy yet. So I guess
I'm
going to have to sit this one out.

Steve Bratteng

Mar 23, 2012, 9:24:38 PM3/23/12
to cfia...@googlegroups.com
The book also was released with the title Nature Via Nuture, so maybe there are some copies of that one, so, maybe it's available under that name:

eric

Mar 25, 2012, 12:31:29 PM3/25/12
to cfiaustin
aha!!! I wondered why he'd published 2 books on teh same topic within
a year of each other. One for professional colleagues, one for the lay
public? And, having located this one at UT, thought i could read it
and we could compare notes in teh discussion on teh differences. Same
text though, huh? You think he's one of these guys who gives teh same
conference paper 12 times under different titles, and lists them all
on his CV? THANKS, STEVE!!!!!

On Mar 23, 8:24 pm, Steve Bratteng <sbratt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The book also was released with the title Nature Via Nuture, so maybe there
> are some copies of that one, so, maybe it's available under that name:http://www.amazon.com/Nature-Via-Nurture-Experience-Ridley/dp/B004RPN...

Steve Bratteng

Mar 25, 2012, 2:16:34 PM3/25/12
to cfia...@googlegroups.com
As I understand it one is the title here and the other the title in the UK.
--
Steve