CFEclipse 1.3.4 Released!

Randy

Jun 24, 2009, 10:19:46 AM6/24/09
to CFEclipse Users
With the release of Eclipse Galileo, the CFEclipse team is proud to
announce an the release of CFEclipse 1.3.4!

You can install CFEclipse (if you haven't already you should) by
adding the update site:

http://www.cfeclipse.org/update

This release has been tested on Eclipse 3.4 and Eclipse 3.5. But, with
all the testing we can do while developing, there will surely be bugs
that we didn't find. Please report problems on the CFEclipse site:

http://trac.cfeclipse.org/cfeclipse/wiki/ReportingBugs

Here are a couple of the things that have been keeping us busy:

* An updated CF8 Dictionary
* Some mild updates to the parser
* Mark occurrences of selected words (tag/variable/method/etc)
* Integration with Eclipse's DocShare (optional)
* Preference for modifying the browse url on unit tests to run unit
tests
* Other bugs...

If you would like to view the entire list of tickets closed for this
release:

http://trac.cfeclipse.org/cfeclipse/query?status=closed&group=resolution&order=priority&milestone=1.3.2&milestone=1.3.3

For those who enjoy using the shortcut keys in CFEclipse, the key
binding for surrounding a selection in hashes (#) has changed to ctrl
+shift+H (cmd+shift+H) from it's previous binding of ctrl+3 (cmd+3) to
not interfere with the built in functionality of Eclipse. For more
information see:

http://trac.cfeclipse.org/cfeclipse/ticket/373

As a bonus for adventurous developers, a nightly build update site:

http://www.cfeclipse.org/update-nightly/

Enjoy!

The CFEclipse Team

Jim Priest

Jun 24, 2009, 10:51:10 AM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Randy<Zora...@gmail.com> wrote:

> With the release of Eclipse Galileo, the CFEclipse team is proud to
> announce an the release of CFEclipse 1.3.4!

I'm trying this out now... :)

I'm curious - should we continue to install with CFUnit - or move to
MXUnit?? Is CFUnit still being developed??

Or should we strip these out and let people install them on their own??

Should we update the wiki with info on "DocShare" ????

Jim

navery

Jun 24, 2009, 10:44:46 AM6/24/09
to CFEclipse Users
Awesome! Glad to hear it! Cannot wait to try it!

On Jun 24, 10:19 am, Randy <Zoram...@gmail.com> wrote:
> With the release of Eclipse Galileo, the CFEclipse team is proud to
> announce an the release of CFEclipse 1.3.4!
>
> You can install CFEclipse (if you haven't already you should) by
> adding the update site:
>
> http://www.cfeclipse.org/update
>
> This release has been tested on Eclipse 3.4 and Eclipse 3.5. But, with
> all the testing we can do while developing, there will surely be bugs
> that we didn't find. Please report problems on the CFEclipse site:
>
> http://trac.cfeclipse.org/cfeclipse/wiki/ReportingBugs
>
> Here are a couple of the things that have been keeping us busy:
>
> *  An updated CF8 Dictionary
> *  Some mild updates to the parser
> *  Mark occurrences of selected words (tag/variable/method/etc)
> *  Integration with Eclipse's DocShare (optional)
> *  Preference for modifying the browse url on unit tests to run unit
> tests
> *  Other bugs...
>
> If you would like to view the entire list of tickets closed for this
> release:
>
> http://trac.cfeclipse.org/cfeclipse/query?status=closed&group=resolut...

denstar

Jun 24, 2009, 11:23:16 AM6/24/09
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Jim Priest<pri...@thecrumb.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 10:19 AM, Randy<Zora...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> With the release of Eclipse Galileo, the CFEclipse team is proud to
>> announce an the release of CFEclipse 1.3.4!
>

> I'm trying this out now... :)
>
> I'm curious - should we continue to install with CFUnit - or move to
> MXUnit??  Is CFUnit still being developed??

I'm not sure what the status of CFUnit is, but MXUnit is teh bomb.

> Or should we strip these out and let people install them on their own??

I don't even use the CFUnit view anymore, so... eh. Whateves. One
less thing to maintain.

> Should we update the wiki with info on "DocShare" ????

Yeppers! Probably only a few people will be interested at first, and
it's still fledgling tech, but we'll see more of this stuff probably,
so... and it is sorta in your face as an optional install, probably
wouldn't hurt to explain it. =)

=den

--
Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.
Albert Camus

Tom Lenz

Jun 24, 2009, 11:30:23 AM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com

> Or should we strip these out and let people install them on their own??

Yes.

denstar

Jun 24, 2009, 11:44:10 AM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the contributions, motivations, and organizations, Randy!

you da man!

--
One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves.
Albert Camus

Jim Priest

Jun 24, 2009, 11:56:55 AM6/24/09
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 11:44 AM, denstar<vallia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the contributions, motivations, and organizations, Randy!
>
> you da man!

Yeah! So far 3.5 / 1.3.4 is working great. The column selection mode
is worth the update!!!!!!!!

Jim

Doug Smith

Jun 24, 2009, 12:26:49 PM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Has the Dictionary view problem that showed up in Ganymeade ever been fixed?
I'm talking about the inability to scroll the functions, scopes and tags
list. I'm not sure whose problem this is/was.

Doug
-------------------------

Tom Lenz

Jun 24, 2009, 12:51:51 PM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
This is great!

I'm glad the text selection stuff is working. Wasn't there a way to
control the looks of the selection? With my color combo I can barely see
the squiggly lines.

> The column selection mode
> is worth the update!!!!!!!!

I haven't caught on to this. How do you invoke it?

I'm getting an error on functions: the attribute 'name' is compulsory
for the cffunction tag. Am I the only one?

Jacob Munson

Jun 24, 2009, 12:59:25 PM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
> For those who enjoy using the shortcut keys in CFEclipse, the key
> binding for surrounding a selection in hashes (#) has changed to ctrl
> +shift+H (cmd+shift+H) from it's previous binding of ctrl+3 (cmd+3) to
> not interfere with the built in functionality of Eclipse.

FYI, I am running Eclipse 3.4.2 and I just upgraded to CFE 1.3.4, but
I do not see the above mentioned key binding change. For me, ctrl+3
still works, and additionally ctrl+shift+H does not work. This suits
me well, however, because I am used to ctrl+3. :)

Jake Munson
Kuna, ID, USA
http://www.techfeed.net/blog/
http://www.cfquickdocs.com/
http://cfformprotect.riaforge.org/

Jim Priest

Jun 24, 2009, 1:00:43 PM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
ALT+SHIFT+A will get you into column mode - seems to work with .cfm files.

Randy

Jun 24, 2009, 1:04:05 PM6/24/09
to CFEclipse Users
I believe that you are talking about http://trac.cfeclipse.org/cfeclipse/ticket/453
? I don't think that has been looked into yet. Maybe the next version.

Randy

Tom Lenz

Jun 24, 2009, 1:04:45 PM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com

> ALT+SHIFT+A will get you into column mode - seems to work with .cfm files.

That's sweet! When you insert a column that you cut, it does just what
you'd want it to.

Jim Priest

Jun 24, 2009, 1:06:58 PM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com

You can also select a column of text:

form.one
form.two
form.three

And type something and it will replace everything in the column:

request.one
request.two
request.three

Jim

Jim Priest

Jun 24, 2009, 1:08:15 PM6/24/09
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Jacob Munson<yaco...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> For those who enjoy using the shortcut keys in CFEclipse, the key
>> binding for surrounding a selection in hashes (#) has changed to ctrl
>> +shift+H (cmd+shift+H) from it's previous binding of ctrl+3 (cmd+3) to
>> not interfere with the built in functionality of Eclipse.
>
> FYI, I am running Eclipse 3.4.2 and I just upgraded to CFE 1.3.4, but
> I do not see the above mentioned key binding change.  For me, ctrl+3
> still works, and additionally ctrl+shift+H does not work.  This suits
> me well, however, because I am used to ctrl+3.  :)

Think that switch is only for 3.5. CTRL+3 doesn't seem to work for me.

CTRL+SHIFT+H really sucks because that requires two hands on my ergo
keyboard. Will have to assign that to something else :)

Jim

Randy

Jun 24, 2009, 1:08:28 PM6/24/09
to CFEclipse Users
I believe that the key bindings will stay if you already have it
installed, but any fresh installations will default to the ctrl+shift
+H.

It can still be changed in the keys preference, so when you do need to
do a fresh install and it doesn't work, you'll know why ;)

Randy

Jacob Munson

Jun 24, 2009, 1:47:43 PM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Yup, I just upgraded to 3.5 and the new key binding works now, and
ctrl+3 no longer works.

Doug Smith

Jun 24, 2009, 1:59:34 PM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Yep, that's it. I just didn't see it in the tickets. Damn glasses ;>(

denstar

Jun 24, 2009, 2:10:42 PM6/24/09
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Tom Lenz<astonis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is great!
>
> I'm glad the text selection stuff is working. Wasn't there a way to
> control the looks of the selection? With my color combo I can barely see
> the squiggly lines.

Yeah, I meant to leave that as a box instead of squiggles, as both
those seem easier on the eyes with that color.

FWIW, I sorta stuck some stuff in there (didn't modify it for CFE yet)
that we could use to do the "mark occurrence of current CF word", so
it would work how the java one does... meaning you don't have to
double click the words -- I keep forgetting to just look at the
source for JDT. Screw most everything else (DLTK, yadda yadda).
Although I still might try some more stuff like that, JDT move the
fastest... (duh, right?)

>>  The column selection mode
>> is worth the update!!!!!!!!
>>
> I haven't caught on to this. How do you invoke it?
>
> I'm getting an error on functions: the attribute 'name' is compulsory
> for the cffunction tag. Am I the only one?

Hrm. Me no see that locally. Did you restart with -clean?

If not, and you can, send me the file and we can try to see what the deal is.

I forgot how much I missed those selection toggles, thought about you
while fixing them back up (notice they work in folded code now too?
;]).

Whoops! Almost forgot to mention changing the mark occurrence color!

It's under "Annotations" and it is called "CFML Mark Occurrences" I
think. I should put a note in the preference screen.

--
Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.
Albert Camus

denstar

Jun 24, 2009, 2:13:31 PM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
I looked at that one for a second, but had more pressing needs. I'm
pretty confident it won't take much to get it adjusted. (he says,
famously)

:])

--
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
Albert Camus

Rick Faircloth

Jun 24, 2009, 2:46:26 PM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Well, I'm glad for the upgrade, but a little bummed out.

I got an email notice a last week that manual, state-saving code folding was
targeted for implementation with version 1.4.

Well, when the new version was announced I mistook this new version 1.3.4
for the version when manual code folding would be implemented
( I "mis-remembered" the 1.4 as 1.3.4)...I was quite excited until I realized my mistake.

But I'm *very* glad to see drag-n-drop working for the text in the editor!

Thanks for the great work!

Rick

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."  Henry Kissinger

Tom Lenz

Jun 24, 2009, 3:11:44 PM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com

> Yeah, I meant to leave that as a box instead of squiggles, as both
> those seem easier on the eyes with that color.

Couldn't get the 'highlighted' to show, but the box works nicely.

> FWIW, I sorta stuck some stuff in there (didn't modify it for CFE yet)
> that we could use to do the "mark occurrence of current CF word", so
> it would work how the java one does... meaning you don't have to
> double click the words --
That would be nice. I kind of get around this by using autohotkey to do
a double click with an extra button on my mouse.

>> I'm getting an error on functions: the attribute 'name' is compulsory
>> for the cffunction tag. Am I the only one?

I've narrowed it down to this:

<cffunction name = "foo">
<cfreturn>
</cffunction>

The error will go away if I get rid of the tab between name and "foo".

> I forgot how much I missed those selection toggles,

Not me, I've missed them badly ever since the default went to using a
dot as part of a word. Seems like especially the last few days.

Many thanks to all who made this happen. It made my day.

Bolt shmolt, everything is here!

Jim Priest

Jun 24, 2009, 3:15:01 PM6/24/09
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Tom Lenz<astonis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I forgot how much I missed those selection toggles,
>
> Not me, I've missed them badly ever since the default went to using a
> dot as part of a word. Seems like especially the last few days.

What are these 'selection toggles' everyone's talking about :)

Jim

Tom Lenz

Jun 24, 2009, 3:20:57 PM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
preferences/cfeclipse/editor/Text Selection

You can control how you want words to get selected on a double click. Then you can choose different behaviors depending on what modifier keys you have pressed. Plus, you can choose to have all the occurrences of a selection highlighted.

Jim Priest

Jun 24, 2009, 3:23:31 PM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Ohh very cool. I haven't had time to poke around and see what's new yet!! :\

Jim

RobG

Jun 24, 2009, 4:54:47 PM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com

Has anybody gotten FTP working on 1.3.4? I see that File Explorer works
again, first time in like two years.

But for me, after I add a site, and try to connect, it freezes Eclipse.
This is on Eclipse 3.5, btw.

Rob

denstar

Jun 24, 2009, 11:51:30 PM6/24/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Well, I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it great... I mean... I
did some stuff I'm not proud of...

But I haven't forgotten about you!

Every time the code folding bit me on the ass, I was like, "Rick!" ;)

Seriously tho, it's been on my mind as I've cruised the API... I see
annotations persisted across restarts, if the file is open (you'd said
something about that, IIRC), so it can't be /too/ hard to stick 'em in
an array or something to persist 'em.

Funnily enough, I had the same version number confusion deal- almost
sent an missive to the dev list about how we'd jumped a version *grin*

Glad yer glad man, we aim to please!

:D

--
The gods had condemned Sisyphus to ceaselessly rolling a rock to the
top of a mountain, whence the stone would fall back of its own weight.

denstar

Jun 25, 2009, 12:02:10 AM6/25/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com

Hrm. I tested it on a wanky windows FTP server, and an sftp server,
and the only way I could get the wanky FTP server to work was to
enable those checkboxes (or enable disabling them). Probably has
something to do with passive mode... did you try it on and off?

I was hoping adding this timeout deal, would prevent a lock, but guess not. :-/

--
The myth of unlimited production brings war in its train as inevitably
as clouds announce a storm.

denstar

Jun 25, 2009, 12:03:41 AM6/25/09
On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Tom Lenz<astonis...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Yeah, I meant to leave that as a box instead of squiggles, as both
>> those seem easier on the eyes with that color.
>>
>  Couldn't get the 'highlighted' to show, but the box works nicely.

Doh! I regressed the highlight then, as it was working.

>> FWIW, I sorta stuck some stuff in there (didn't modify it for CFE yet)
>> that we could use to do the "mark occurrence of current CF word", so
>> it would work how the java one does... meaning you don't have to
>> double click the words --
> That would be nice. I kind of get around this by using autohotkey to do
> a double click with an extra button on my mouse.

That autohotkey sounds like what I want to turn the text selection
stuff into sorta.

It's pretty close to being able to do the same things to text
selections (just using the keyboard), as far as word selection, but
the whole "shift plus alt does this", and "alt alone does that" deal
bugs me, I'd rather have the keys/selection actions be determined by
the user, and turn-on/turn-off able... looks like I could even use
the text widget that the "keys" preference pane does, with some work.

>>> I'm getting an error on functions: the attribute 'name' is compulsory
>>> for the cffunction tag. Am I the only one?
>>>

> I've narrowed it down to this:
>
>    <cffunction name     = "foo">
>        <cfreturn>
>    </cffunction>
>
> The error will go away if I get rid of the tab between name and "foo".

Excellent recipe! Know exactly where it is.

>  > I forgot how much I missed those selection toggles,
>
> Not me, I've missed them badly ever since the default went to using a
> dot as part of a word. Seems like especially the last few days.

The text/tag selection was a little bit challenging, due to code
folding, and removing the DoubleClickStrategy had the interesting
side-effect of changing what things were considered words /before/ the
double-click even happens... or something kinda strange like that.
Seems pretty solid now tho, neh?

> Many thanks to all who made this happen. It made my day.
>
> Bolt shmolt, everything is here!

hehe! My feelings as well. We needs us some major refactoring, but
we've got the "meat", as in workflow and whatnot... and when you know
what you want, well, it's usually easier to get it than if you don't.
:)

--
The modern mind is in complete disarray. Knowledge has stretched
itself to the point where neither the world nor our intelligence can

Tom Lenz

Jun 25, 2009, 2:05:29 AM6/25/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com

I've narrowed it down to this:

   <cffunction name     = "foo">
       <cfreturn>
   </cffunction>

The error will go away if I get rid of the tab between name and "foo".

Excellent recipe!  Know exactly where it is.
Actually anything more than one character between 'name' and '=' causes the error. In other words, no space or one space or one tab are all OK.

Jim Priest

Jun 25, 2009, 6:44:52 AM6/25/09
On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:02 AM, denstar<vallia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hrm.  I tested it on a wanky windows FTP server, and an sftp server,
> and the only way I could get the wanky FTP server to work was to

This is another one of those things (along w/CFUnit) that maybe we
shouldconsider ditching?

There are two FTP plugins (in addition to Aptana) listed on the wiki:

# CollabNet Webdav, ftp, sftp Client
# Remote Systems Explorer (RSE) - Remote projects, FTP/SFTP

Has anyone who uses FTP tried these?? IMO the more stuff we can trim
from CFEclipse that is available as external plugins, the more we can
concentrate on core features and fixes??

Jim

RobG

Jun 25, 2009, 11:43:47 AM6/25/09
denstar wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 2:54 PM, RobG<sle...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Has anybody gotten FTP working on 1.3.4? I see that File Explorer works
>> again, first time in like two years.
>>
>> But for me, after I add a site, and try to connect, it freezes Eclipse.
>> This is on Eclipse 3.5, btw.
>
> Hrm. I tested it on a wanky windows FTP server, and an sftp server,
> and the only way I could get the wanky FTP server to work was to
> enable those checkboxes (or enable disabling them). Probably has
> something to do with passive mode... did you try it on and off?

I just went in to try that. My own server needs Passive turned off.
The other server I put in is less finicky, but doesn't work either.

I noticed that CFEclipse isn't saving the checkboxes. I would uncheck
Passive, click Save, then go back into the edit settings area, and the
Passive box is checked yet again.

Rob

RobG

Jun 25, 2009, 11:53:17 AM6/25/09
Jim Priest wrote:

> Has anyone who uses FTP tried these?? IMO the more stuff we can trim
> from CFEclipse that is available as external plugins, the more we can
> concentrate on core features and fixes??

If it's so close to working, why trim it? It seems like there shouldn't
be much work to have it fully functional.

Plus, for many, if ftp worked, CFEclipse would be the only plug-in they
would need. Heck I would only need that plus SQLExplorer, and I'd be set.

On the other hand, if it did turn out to be a lot of work to make it
work, then trim it as long as the others do work. I just did a couple
quick searches for the Webdav one and haven't found where to get it yet.
I'll keep trying.

Rob

Peter Boughton

Jun 25, 2009, 1:28:57 PM6/25/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
> If it's so close to working, why trim it?  It seems like there shouldn't
> be much work to have it fully functional.

Because there's no point wasting resources on something that will
never be as good as a dedicated ftp plugin.

> Plus, for many, if ftp worked, CFEclipse would be the only plug-in they
> would need.

No it wouldn't. There are several default plugins bundled with each
of the various Eclipse editions. (My point is, avoid confusing
"downloaded package" with "plugin")

The better solution is to pick one of the existing dedicated FTP
plugins and bundle it with CFE - this gives you a single packaged
download, with a superior FTP plugin, and -- because time isn't wasted
on a CFE-specific FTP -- a better CFML editor too.

(This is one of the key benefits of Eclipse, and Open Source / Free
Software in general - the freedom to build the perfect toolset by
mix-and-match of your preferred components, without being forced into
a specific vendor's implementation.)

--
Peter Boughton
//hybridchill.com

Wil Genovese

Jun 25, 2009, 4:52:49 PM6/25/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Ok, the age old question with Eclipse - Which Eclipse package do you or should you start with?

Classic? or one of the others?

Wil Genovese

denstar

Jun 25, 2009, 4:58:37 PM6/25/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
I like tha Java EE one, but basically anything that comes with mylyn
is o.k. in my book =].

CFE itself should work* with any of them, so long as they're 3.3 or
higher (might work with 3.2, didn't try).

*drag and drop in *<=3.3 seems wanky

--
The society based on production is only productive, not creative.
Albert Camus

Marc Esher

Jun 25, 2009, 5:09:21 PM6/25/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
RCP, definitely. That way, when you wanna contribute some bits to CFE,
you're all set.

marc

Peter Boughton

Jun 25, 2009, 5:17:40 PM6/25/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
> RCP, definitely. That way, when you wanna contribute some bits to CFE,
> you're all set.

I've been pondering about that recently - what's the deal with
checking out and building?

There's a big wad of projects at svn.cfeclipse.org - which ones are
required to get going?

Is everything else then contained & obvious within that, or is
anything else required?

Marc Esher

Jun 25, 2009, 5:25:28 PM6/25/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
I always use the team project set denny put together a while back.
looks like he updated it recently, too:
http://trac.cfeclipse.org/cfeclipse/wiki/CheckingOutCFEclipse

G Allen R Souliere

Jun 25, 2009, 6:07:23 PM6/25/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
I also use the Java EE. For me, I have never had luck getting the web
tools (javascript, css, xml) working happily with any other
distribution. I also like the database tools that come with it.

So far, Galileo and the latest cfeclipse are working great for me as of
yesterday and today.

Allen

denstar

Jun 25, 2009, 6:15:04 PM6/25/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
I was sad to update it, as it was running for 2 years, and every time
I saw it I was like... "wow"... 2 years?!?!

Don't know what the fusebox plugin was for (well, obviously) but I cut
it out of the team project set.

--
The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants.
Albert Camus

Doug Smith

Jun 25, 2009, 7:17:49 PM6/25/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Along these lines, what (free) UML plugin do you like, or don't you bother?

Jun 25, 2009, 8:59:53 PM6/25/09
On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Doug Smith<pega...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Along these lines, what (free) UML plugin do you like, or don't you bother?

I've been using the eclipse stuff, but they're more on about EMF than
UML so much.

I like this one a lot too: http://bouml.free.fr/

Modeling is where "it" is at, IMO, and the tools are "getting there",
but it's still not for the timid.

--
There will be no lasting peace either in the heart of individuals or
in social customs until death is outlawed.

denstar

Jun 25, 2009, 9:03:32 PM6/25/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Should note that bouml isn't a plugin for eclipse, it's stand alone
(but freeeeeeeee!)

Jacob Munson

Jun 25, 2009, 11:52:02 PM6/25/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
> Modeling is where "it" is at, IMO, and the tools are "getting there",
> but it's still not for the timid.

I took a UML class in school, and my take away was that it seemed like
a LOT more work than the benefits it provides. Don't get me wrong,
I'm all for project planning and documentation, but I think there are
other methods and tools that accomplish the same goals but don't have
so much overhead. </2 cents>

Jake Munson
Kuna, ID, USA
http://www.techfeed.net/blog/
http://www.cfquickdocs.com/
http://cfformprotect.riaforge.org/

Doug Smith

Jun 25, 2009, 11:56:46 PM6/25/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
such as? Could you elaborate a little on other methods and tools?

Thx,
Doug

Jun 26, 2009, 12:10:56 AM6/26/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
> such as? Could you elaborate a little on other methods and tools?

Well, I am not a project manager nor business analyst, but the ones I
work with seem to do pretty well with Microsoft Visio, Microsoft
Project, and other miscellaneous tools. Personally I don't like MS
Project, but I've had a lot of fun with Visio. On the project that
I'm currently working on our BA uses Visio to create use case
diagrams, data flow diagrams, etc. Seems to work pretty well.

I guess I should backpedal a bit...in my class in school we learned
UML using Rational Rose, and that is what I was not very impressed
with (too much overhead). So in my muddle headedness (I'm sick
today), I think I was confusing UML with Rational Rose...different
things, really. :)

larryclyons

Jun 26, 2009, 11:10:28 AM6/26/09
to CFEclipse Users
While its not free, MyEclipse has a pretty sweet UML plugin. It covers
all the basic diagrams and quite a few of the optional ones. Its also
does an excellent job of reverse engineering. That said for 30 or $60
a year, it is worth it.

regards,
larry

On Jun 25, 7:17 pm, Doug Smith <pegasu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Along these lines, what (free) UML plugin do you like, or don't you bother?
>
>   _____

Kevin Benore

Jun 26, 2009, 12:27:22 PM6/26/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
I have seen some new features discussed (thanks Jim and others) in this release of CFEclipse - but is there a document/web page that highlights some of the major new features that both Eclipse 3.5 and this version of CFE bring to the party? If not, anyone going to start a thread on the CFE site/wiki/whatever?

I have installed both ... but want to know what is new ... so I can play. After all - what else are Fridays good for?!

Regards,

Kevin Benore

Kevin Benore

Jun 26, 2009, 2:09:30 PM6/26/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
It is me, or did SQL coloring go away? I thought when opening SQL embedded in a .cfm file ... it would still color SELECT, FROM, WHERE, UPDATE, etc. It seems it only colors words that it has in common with CF (like LEFT). Am I missing something?

Regards,

Kevin Benore

Jacob Munson

Jun 26, 2009, 2:28:58 PM6/26/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
> It is me, or did SQL coloring go away?

It's still working for me.

navery

Jun 26, 2009, 2:37:15 PM6/26/09
to CFEclipse Users
Working here too

Kevin Benore

Jun 26, 2009, 2:41:44 PM6/26/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Indeed ... I re-started eclipse and it came to life. But that was just plain weird.

Regards,

Kevin Benore

Marco Gil

Jul 27, 2009, 7:20:01 AM7/27/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
I have yet to find a FTP plug-in that will synchronize and work properly. I tried jCraft FTP plug-in the past few days but cannot get the remote folders to display once I've setup the ftp connection. I have also tried RSE but with limited success.

How is everyone else synchronizing their projects with a remote server? I love the ease at which CF Builder allows one to simply right click on a file or folder in the project and click on UPLOAD and it synchronizes the file with your remote ftp server. Simple, effective and to the point.

Marco

Jul 28, 2009, 7:46:17 AM7/28/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
I've just setup a fresh installation of Windows 64-bit version. After installing both Java and Eclipse, it seems Eclipse is expecting to find the javaw.exe file in the c:\program files\eclipse\jre\bin directory but that directory doesn't exist and I had java installed in its own directory in c:\program files\java\

I've tried the following with no success:

C:\program files (x86)\eclipse\eclipse.exe -vm "C:\program files\java\jre6\bin\java.exe"

What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Marco

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4284 (20090728) __________

http://www.eset.com

Marc Esher

Jul 28, 2009, 7:50:28 AM7/28/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Marco, is the jvm a 32bit jvm?  If not, try downloading a 32 bit jvm and run eclipse under it.

Marc

Marco Gil

Jul 28, 2009, 8:00:49 AM7/28/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com

No it’s a 64-bit JVM.  Is there a problem with installing both a 64-bit and 32-bit version of Java? Or should I uninstall the 64-bit version first?  Thanks

Jul 28, 2009, 8:10:23 AM7/28/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
I have all manners of jvm on my vista machines.

If you install the 32-bit version, chances are it'll add itself to your path variable and perhaps install an exe into c:\windows\system32. If that's the case, just replace your path variable with the 64-bit version and remove that exe from the system32 directory. then go to a cmd prompt and type java -version to confirm your 64 bit one  is still the "active" version of java on your machine.

once you do that, you should be able to start eclipse with the -vm option pointing to your 32 bit java.

Marc

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Marco Gil <marc...@cogeco.ca> wrote:

No it’s a 64-bit JVM.  Is there a problem with installing both a 64-bit and 32-bit version of Java? Or should I uninstall the 64-bit version first?  Thanks

Marco, is the jvm a 32bit jvm?  If not, try downloading a 32 bit jvm and run eclipse under it.

Marc

Marco Gil

Jul 28, 2009, 8:42:11 AM7/28/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com

Beautiful, that did the trick.  Thanks!

Marco

Marc Esher

Jul 28, 2009, 8:47:18 AM7/28/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
No problem man. Glad you got it working.

For what it's worth, my buddy mike rankin did get 64bit eclipse on windows, but he said it was dog slow compared with 64 bit.

marc

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 8:42 AM, Marco Gil <marc...@cogeco.ca> wrote:

Beautiful, that did the trick.  Thanks!

Marco

Marc Esher

Jul 28, 2009, 8:47:29 AM7/28/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
sorry.... slow compared with 32bit eclipse

Marco

Jul 28, 2009, 8:53:59 AM7/28/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
I didn't even see a 64 bit version of eclipse. Where did he download it from? Curious to see if I get the same performance issues.

Marco

From: Marc Esher
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:47:29 -0400

Marc Esher

Jul 28, 2009, 9:02:48 AM7/28/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
I'm actually not sure where he got it. I've never seen one.

I can't imagine though how it would be beneficial to run it on 64bit, since as I understand it the main benefit is in large memory allocation, and why would you ever want your IDE going over like half a gig, or even a gig?  The one benefit on 64bit windows would be that it doesn't have to go through the 32bit emulation layer, but i've never seen a reason to be concerned about performance on the emulation  layer. Stuff is pretty darn fast for me.

Jeff Borisch

Jul 28, 2009, 10:31:09 AM7/28/09
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Peter Boughton<boug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do *occasionally* use Beyond Compare as a workaround (because our
> SVN can be really slow). BC can do comparisons over FTP, and is
> superior to the standard Eclipse comparison view - unfortunately it's
> a separate app not an Eclipse plugin though.

Since you can run BeyondCompare from the command line and it has a
small scripting language, it's possible to integrate it a little bit
through Run>External Tools. How you can make this work depends a lot
on your individual situation.

I'm trying to work out how to best use it but at the moment my project
setup script creates a bat file that will start BC with the project
directory on the left and the destination directory on the right.

I can setup External tools to run the bat file that it finds in the
current project directory.

It could work better but it saves some of the hassle.

Jeff

Jim Priest

Jul 28, 2009, 10:36:49 AM7/28/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
There IS a plugin that integrates Beyond Compare and Eclipse...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/beyondcvs/

Jim

Marco Gil

Jul 28, 2009, 7:32:23 PM7/28/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Sounds silly but I can't seem to get this plug-in to install. Is it simply a matter of adding it to the CFEclipse plugins directory and restarting?

Thanks

Marco

Sep 13, 2009, 1:40:43 AM9/13/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if you already found something but this update will allow you to use ftp in CFEclipse.

http://download.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/updates/2.0/

After you install it in Eclipse through the usual update process goto Window > Show View > Other.  Then choose Remote Systems underneath Remote Systems.(kinda redundant huh?)

I only got it working tonight.  So far it seems to be extremely responsive.  I am running ubuntu desktop.

--
Ryan LeTulle

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Marco Gil <marc...@cogeco.ca> wrote:

Sounds silly but I can't seem to get this plug-in to install.  Is it simply a matter of adding it to the CFEclipse plugins directory and restarting?

Thanks

Marco

Oct 9, 2009, 7:55:46 PM10/9/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Curious if anyone here has tried it and if so, how would you rate/compare it
to the current release of Eclipse? Would appreciate any feedback on this
from users who are familiar with both.

Thanks

Marco

RobG

Oct 9, 2009, 8:34:08 PM10/9/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com

I've had it installed for a few days. I went back to CFEclipse
yesterday. I got tired of ALL the tags (html, cfml, whatever) being
red, and the method for assigning colors is horrible.

Add to that the Aptana-esque style of the editor. It takes forever to
shut off all of the "helpfulness" like auto-insert everything, insight
this and that, validation this and that, parsing this and that. I just
had enough and went back to CFE. It just works so very well. The ONLY
thing it's missing IMO is FTP... but we've had that discussion here
before. ;)

Now... if you're the type that wants to utilize the various wizards and
server features, the CFBuilder probably rocks. But I don't know how to
use those, or really what the benefits are. I just want a nice editor.

ROb

Raffaele Castagno

Oct 9, 2009, 9:26:16 PM10/9/09
to CFEclipse Users
Installed, launched, used for 10-15 mins, then switched back to
CFEclipse.

There a couple of nice features (extensions CFML-friendly, basic
refactoring, and some others) but it's _really_ _too_ _big_.

I don't have a modern machine, and not so much ram, but that beast
suched 500MB of ram after few moments...ok, maybe I can cut a bit
tweaking configuration, but CFEclipse + some plugins takes away around
150MB, and I can use CFEclipse with Galileo.

I'm considering the idea to actively support CFEclipse.

Cheers.

Raffaele

Ryan Letulle

Oct 9, 2009, 9:33:06 PM10/9/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
I'm using ftp in CFE.

--
Ryan LeTulle

Ryan Letulle

PJStyles

Oct 10, 2009, 9:23:55 AM10/10/09
to CFEclipse Users
That's a beautiful thing! DIdn't know this plug-in existed and works
flawlessly. Thanks

Marco

On Oct 9, 9:35 pm, Ryan Letulle <bayous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> FYI
>
> http://download.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/updates/2.0/
>
> After you install it in Eclipse through the usual update process goto Window> Show View > Other.  Then choose Remote Systems underneath Remote
>
> Systems.(kinda redundant huh?)
>
> --
> Ryan LeTulle
>

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Ryan Letulle <bayous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm using ftp in CFE.
>
> > --
> > Ryan LeTulle

> >> rate/compare it
> >> this
>
> >> I've had it installed for a few days.  I went back to CFEclipse
> >> yesterday.  I got tired of ALL the tags (html, cfml, whatever) being
> >> red, and the method for assigning colors is horrible.
>
> >> Add to that the Aptana-esque style of the editor.  It takes forever to
> >> shut off all of the "helpfulness" like auto-insert everything, insight
> >> this and that, validation this and that, parsing this and that.  I just
> >> had enough and went back to CFE.  It just works so very well.  The ONLY
> >> thing it's missing IMO is FTP... but we've had that discussion here
> >> before. ;)
>
> >> Now... if you're the type that wants to utilize the various wizards and
> >> server features, the CFBuilder probably rocks.  But I don't know how to
> >> use those, or really what the benefits are.  I just want a nice editor.
>
> >> ROb- Hide quoted text -

Marc Esher

Oct 10, 2009, 12:42:23 PM10/10/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
At risk of sounding like a complete idiot.... how do you actually use the RemoteSystems view? The one thing I have missed from Dreamweaver since ditching it way back when is the super simple ftp put/get. If i'm 5 folders down in a project, I hit "put" and it knows where to put that file on the remote side.

I've played with the RSE in Eclipse for a bit, read the help, but I can't figure out how to say "The folder c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myapp maps to ftp://mysite/htdocs/myapp and when I'm 5 folders down in myapp, I want to put this file into the corresponding directory on the FTP site".  How does one do that?

(Apologies for hijacking this thread, which used to be about CFBuilder... but the RSE comments got me looking at it again).

Ryan Letulle

Oct 10, 2009, 1:36:11 PM10/10/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
I have not used it in Windows, but in ubuntu I just create the connection and browse through the files/folders, opening and changing them all I want.  I've never experienced it not knowing where something went.

Are you talking about working on it offline like a Dreamweaver "site" and then putting all the batch changes at some point?  As far as I know with this plugin the changes are put as soon as you save.

--
Ryan LeTulle

denstar

Oct 10, 2009, 2:27:30 PM10/10/09
On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Raffaele Castagno wrote:

> There a couple of nice features (extensions CFML-friendly, basic
> refactoring, and some others) but it's _really_ _too_ _big_.

See, this is my main concern with DLTK/WTP... they add overhead.
Other editors use 'em tho, and don't seem to all be beasts. *shrug*

With enough contributors contributing, we wouldn't need something like
DLTK-- we could do it all "by hand"-- tho there's some cool stuff in
there...

> I'm considering the idea to actively support CFEclipse.

We'd love to have ya. We're just a rag-tag team of "when we have a
chance" contributors, but new blood always seems to pump us up for a
bit. It's a super fun cadre, you'd be in good company.

This info should get you to the submitting patch stage, if you're down:

http://trac.cfeclipse.org/wiki/BuildingCFEclipse

And here's a link to the team project set, for checking out the source:

http://trac.cfeclipse.org/raw-attachment/wiki/CheckingOutCFEclipse/cfeclipse.psf

You can check out the nightly build site separately, which has an ant
script for pushing builds to the update host, all easy-peasy styles,
too, when you get that far.

We've tried to make it easy to get involved, and a new contributor
would be some more motivation for fleshing out the docs relating to
the actual IDE code, which is, well, an adventure at times due to it's
history.

Adventure, hooooo!
:Denny

--
Whether you accept or reject it, God's Love for you is permanent.
Sri Chinmoy

denstar

Oct 10, 2009, 2:32:36 PM10/10/09
On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Marc Esher wrote:
> At risk of sounding like a complete idiot.... how do you actually use the
> RemoteSystems view? The one thing I have missed from Dreamweaver since
> ditching it way back when is the super simple ftp put/get. If i'm 5 folders
> down in a project, I hit "put" and it knows where to put that file on the
> remote side.
>
> I've played with the RSE in Eclipse for a bit, read the help, but I can't
> figure out how to say "The folder c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myapp maps to
> ftp://mysite/htdocs/myapp and when I'm 5 folders down in myapp, I want to
> put this file into the corresponding directory on the FTP site".  How does
> one do that?
>
> (Apologies for hijacking this thread, which used to be about CFBuilder...
> but the RSE comments got me looking at it again).

Yo Marc!

I don't think RSE has the team sync stuff yet, tho I'd heard someone
say they'd heard someone say it was being worked on. Ah:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform/Team_Synchronization_on_top_of_RSE

If I'm thinking what you're thinking (scary thought, I know :]).

For now, the closest is using, say, the SFTP plugin, which has team
support for, well, SFTP (and FTP-ish).

http://www.jcraft.com/eclipse-sftp/

--
You can only hate someone whom you have the capacity to love, because
if you are really indifferent, you cannot even get up the enough

Wil Genovese

Oct 10, 2009, 4:29:38 PM10/10/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
I have CFBuilder Beta 2 installed on my Win XP Pro machine at work in standalone and as a plug in to Eclipse 3.5 "Galileo".  Both mode are working very well.  Yes there are bugs and NO it is not the same as CFEclipse. It will never be the same as CFEclipse. Adobe has to try to put together the best of three programming environments into one. Those being CFStudio, Dreamweaver and CFEclipse.   So it is not going to be the perfect replacement for any of those.  It is NEW.  And as such we will all have aspects of it we love and hate.  I also want more control over color coding of syntax.  But it's getting better with each beta.

For a test I tried CFBuilder as a plugin. I downloaded Eclipse for Java EE developers and added the Subversive plug in first. Subversive is now part of the Eclipse project.  Then I added CFBuilder. I am finding this to be better than the standalone version of CFBuilder.

More testing and lots of code fixing are needed.  All CFEclipse lovers should understand that it takes a long time to get a product like this just right.

Later, Wil

Marc Esher

Oct 10, 2009, 4:49:43 PM10/10/09
to cfeclip...@googlegroups.com
Denny... thanks man. I was hoping I wasn't missing something obvious in the RSE view.  I'll give that jcraft plugin a shot.

Wil, I agree: I definitely prefer using Builder as a plugin with Eclipse 3.5.

Marc