What are you doing this summer?

Skip to the first unread message

kir...@camara.ie

11 Mar 2009, 06:55:1711/03/2009
to CESI-list, hes...@camara.ie
Dear CESI subscriber,

At this years CESI conference Camara gave a presentation about who we
are and how Irish schools and colleges can work with us in our mission
to enhance the educational system in Africa. We received a lot of
interest in both the work we do in Ireland and about how those working
in education can take part in this years overseas teaching project.

Camara are currently recruiting teachers to travel with us this July
to Africa, the project outcome is ultimately about skill sharing.
Through the teaching of basic and advanced ICT by Camara volunteers in
partner schools we aim to empower African teachers in the every day
use, maintenance, networking, Moodling and teaching of/with PCs.

I am sending out this email (below) to the CESI list with a request
that you might:
i) Consider what it is you have planned for this summer ii) Tell
anyone you think may be interested in the project iii) Circulate this
email to your colleagues

Many thanks in advance,

Kind regards
Kirsty

What are you doing this summer? Teach ICT with Camara in Africa

Camara is an Irish charity who refurbish used computers from
businesses and send them to schools and colleges in Africa. In 2008 we
sent over 5000 computers to schools in Uganda, Lesotho, Kenya,
Ethiopia, Zambia, Tanzania and Rwanda.

Each summer for the month of July, volunteers travel to many of these
schools to train teachers there in basic to advanced ICT skills and
work with our African partners in their computer workshops/hubs. In
July 2009 we hope to be able to send over 80 volunteers.

We are now recruiting for our Africa 2009 trip which, this year, shall
be in Ethiopia, Uganda, Lesotho, Zambia, Kenya, Rwanda and Tanzania.

Camara need volunteers with a whole range of skills, not all IT
specific. We are looking for people with an interest in PC
Maintenance, Multi-media, Networking, Linux, Programming, Teaching,
Facilitating. There are loads of other invaluable skills and interests
of a Camara volunteer, here are some examples: Marketing and Media,
Blogging, Film/Documentary, Monitoring and Evaluation, Moodle,
Environmental, HIV/AIDS Health Worker, Flash, Photographer, Journalist
and many more.....

Volunteering abroad with Camara gives you that real chance to get
involved with a local community in Africa, it is a great opportunity
to learn and pass on some of your own skills.

Volunteer requirements:

* raise €2500 per person (includes training and debriefing,
flights, vaccinations, insurance, internal travel and accommodation)
* complete 50 hours in our workshop (flexible times Thurs evenings
and Saturdays possible)
* complete the necessary technical, teacher and orientation
training (provided by Camara and included as part of 50 hours in
workshop)

For more information or an application form please go to
http://camara.ie/volunteer/africa09/index.php or contact
hes...@camara.ie

Closing date for applications is 23rd March

--
Kirsty Palfreyman

Training and Education Manager
Camara

The Digital Hub
10-13 Thomas Street
Dublin 8
w.www.camara.ie
e. kir...@camara.ie
skype. kirsty_camara
t. +353 (0) 1 65 22668

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this email and in any
attachments is confidential and is designated solely for the attention
and use of the intended Recipient(s). Please refer any queries to
in...@camara.ie; Camara. Registered office: 40a Sandymount Avenue,
Dublin 4 Number: 410223 Ireland.

Tomás Finneran

9 Apr 2009, 10:46:0309/04/2009
to cesi...@googlegroups.com, sum...@fluirse.com

Hi folks,

Some good news for all CESI members after the depression of budget! Flúirse Education Solutions are offering a free Interactive Education CD-Rom AND a €10 discount on any of ICT related Online Summer Courses for all CESI members who sign-up before Monday next.

Enrol on any one of our 32 courses (all approved for 3 EPV days) from today (Thursday) until Monday evening and we’ll give you a €10 discount on the full price of the course AND a free copy of our latest educational CD (Scealtaí Anois) from our award-winning range of Irish language educational software, for use on any PC or Interactive Whiteboard! (RRP €20)

I’ve noticed that many of the topics are questions recently discussed on this forum are covered in our courses, so I think we have something for everyone this year, for example:

  • School Website Design,
  • Edubuntu & Linux,
  • Creating a School Blog,
  • Recording MP3s,
  • Using Interactive Whiteboards,
  • Digital Photography & Graphics
  • Open Office and many more….

(click here for the full list)

All courses will be delivered once again from Flúirse’s website and each is worth 3 EPV days. Most Courses still cost only €99 (or €89 with the above special offer) and there is no previous experience required. Courses start on July 1st and each lasts approximately 20 hours.

ENROLLING (Website / Telephone / Text)

Enrolling is easy, simply visit the website (www.fluirse.com/courses) and sign-up now or call 066 7129828 (you can book a course by leaving your contact details outside of office hours)

Alternatively you can send the word SUMMER, your name and course code (FSC9XX etc) to 087 213 6663 to reserve a place or simply e-mail: sum...@fluirse.com.

We’ll send your FREE copy of Scéaltaí Anois and a range of FREE Open Source Software with your course welcome pack before your course commences. Don’t worry if you’re not sure what course to pick, we’ll let you change your course choice anytime before June 1st, so there’s no reason not to enrol now!

As well as offering Ireland’s largest range of Online Summer Courses for teachers, we’re planning to deliver a range of new products, a teachers’ forum and many other educational resources in the coming months, so keep an eye on www.fluirse.com

We’re here to answer any questions and I would welcome your feedback and suggestions.

Thanks and enjoy the well-deserved Easter holidays!

Tomás

Flúirse Education Solutions