Where is my robot?

Michael Overstreet

Sep 24, 2009, 8:22:49 PM9/24/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
My robot maybe no more? Last Sunday my car was broken into and my robot along with my laptop was stolen. As of now there are no leads as to where he is. This has been a very sad week for me.

Bob Brown - WØNQX

Sep 24, 2009, 8:31:44 PM9/24/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
is there a picture of this bot?

did you have any type of remote access on your pc? like logmein or VNC?

where you can see, if it gets connected to the net to possibly and catch an IP address?

just a thought...

all my laptops phone home so i know when they are on line

--
Thanks in Advance

  Bob Brown, WØNQX

  Kansas City Metro Area

  http://sm0kenet.net

  http://byrg.net

  http://kcdstar.byrg.net

"Surely you can't be serious?" "Of course I am, and don't call me Shirley."

Pablo Picasso  - "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."

Michael Overstreet

Sep 24, 2009, 8:37:23 PM9/24/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com

Bob Brown - WØNQX

Sep 24, 2009, 9:06:16 PM9/24/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
this is the one you had down at the space i saw one time was it not?

--
Thanks in Advance

  Bob Brown, WØNQX

  Kansas City Metro Area

  http://sm0kenet.net

  http://byrg.net

  http://kcdstar.byrg.net

"Surely you can't be serious?" "Of course I am, and don't call me Shirley."

Charles de Gaulle  - "The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs."

Randy Childers

Sep 24, 2009, 9:06:46 PM9/24/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
Micheal, I'm really sorry to hear that -- I hope they are found.
--
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Luke Hurd

Sep 24, 2009, 9:45:24 PM9/24/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
Wow, this is a real shame.  Sorry to hear about that, man.  That sort of thing is not easy to replace.

dicegrrl

Sep 24, 2009, 9:49:58 PM9/24/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry Mike. That is awful. I hope that your laptop and robot are found.

Online ordering 24/7!

http://angelapruente.stampinup.net

My Blog

http://sweetpineapplescrapping.blogspot.com/

nairb

Sep 24, 2009, 10:36:44 PM9/24/09
to CCCKC
Wow sorry to hear about that man. I hope your robot uses the fighting
moves i saw it do once, and beats who ever did it up. I would keep a
eye out on ebay, on auctions within so many miles. Hope u get it back
man.

Jon Pruente

Sep 24, 2009, 10:41:59 PM9/24/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
Awe man! That is teh suck!

Jon/HiR.

Andrew Beals

Sep 24, 2009, 10:44:57 PM9/24/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
Robot thieves?

Hangin's Too Good For 'm!

Bill Swearingen

Sep 24, 2009, 11:20:11 PM9/24/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
What area was it stolen?  Have you contacted police?

SomeoneKnows

Sep 25, 2009, 12:00:42 AM9/25/09
to CCCKC
Robotic Amber Alert

I'm sorry to hear about Mike's robot.

I've posted notices on the following web sites:

Kansas City Robotics Society - http://www.kansascityrobotics.org/showthread.php?t=526

Make:KC - http://makekc.wordpress.com/2009/09/25/robotic-amber-alert/

St. Louis robotics group ROBOMO - http://www.robomo.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1498#p9594

I hope your robot is returned I know how much work Mike put into this.

Vince Thompson

On Sep 24, 7:22 pm, Michael Overstreet <moverstreet...@gmail.com>

cinus

Sep 25, 2009, 12:09:56 AM9/25/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
Did this happen at the space?

Michael Overstreet

Sep 25, 2009, 3:04:16 AM9/25/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
It happen during the Chiefs game.

Bill Swearingen

Sep 25, 2009, 8:29:28 AM9/25/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
like in Arrowhead parking lot?

Jestin Stoffel

Sep 25, 2009, 9:38:14 AM9/25/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
As incoming president, I hope nobody will take objection to an early
decree:

A free year's membership will be awarded to anyone providing information
leading to the recovery of Mike's robot.

We can vote on this later to make it official, or to hear any dissent.

I have to say, this really pisses me off. Mike worked extremely hard on
that robot, and even if a new one was inexpensive (which they are not),
Mike had so many customizations that are irreplaceable.

I would suggest contacting as many hobby stores and pawn shops as
possible letting them know to be on the lookout for someone selling the
robot. Specialty items like that are only going to be sold to a small
number of local vendors, and I doubt the petty criminals themselves have
brains enough actually use Boomer.

Mike, can you provide some photos we could use for fliers to give to
shop owners? I'm sure we could get some some people to help you
distribute them.

SomeoneKnows

Sep 25, 2009, 11:23:28 AM9/25/09
to CCCKC
Don't forget to check on eBay too.

What are the details about Boomer - make, model, identifying marks
that you can publicly describe?

Has this been reported to the police?

I can contact more robotics oriented sites but a better description is
needed.

Vince

On Sep 25, 8:38 am, Jestin Stoffel <jestin.stof...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As incoming president, I hope nobody will take objection to an early
> decree:
>
> A free year's membership will be awarded to anyone providing information
> leading to the recovery of Mike's robot.
>
> We can vote on this later to make it official, or to hear any dissent.
>
> I have to say, this really pisses me off.  Mike worked extremely hard on
> that robot, and even if a new one was inexpensive (which they are not),
> Mike had so many customizations that are irreplaceable.
>
> I would suggest contacting as many hobby stores and pawn shops as
> possible letting them know to be on the lookout for someone selling the
> robot.  Specialty items like that are only going to be sold to a small
> number of local vendors, and I doubt the petty criminals themselves have
> brains enough actually use Boomer.
>
> Mike, can you provide some photos we could use for fliers to give to
> shop owners?  I'm sure we could get some some people to help you
> distribute them.
>
> On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 07:29 -0500, Bill Swearingen wrote:
> > like in Arrowhead parking lot?
>
> > On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 2:04 AM, Michael Overstreet
> > <moverstreet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >         It happen during the Chiefs game.
>
> >         On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:09 PM, cinus <tgueri...@gmail.com>
> >         wrote:
> >                 Did this happen at the space?
>
> >                 On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:00 PM, SomeoneKnows

James Costello

Sep 25, 2009, 11:24:43 AM9/25/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
I'd second this motion.

Bill Swearingen

Sep 25, 2009, 11:31:44 AM9/25/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
I'm still not clear where it was stolen from.  This makes a big difference.  If it was stolen from the space, we need to take additional actions than if it was stolen from Arrowhead stadium.

Walter Acheson

Sep 25, 2009, 12:00:48 PM9/25/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
Mike, Wow... Im soo sorry... I hope that someone can find your robot
and laptop. You have a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into that robot,
and you cant just buy a "replacement" for it. The coding alone, is
worth 100's (probably 1000's) of hours of programming and testing...
damn...
Good luck ....
--
http://sites.google.com/site/walteracheson/

Jestin Stoffel

Sep 25, 2009, 12:10:57 PM9/25/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
I know it wasn't stolen from from the space (right, Mike?), but I still
feel like the group should do all it can to recover the robot. If the
best we can do is offer a non-cash reward and perhaps get volunteers to
put up fliers, than I'm for it.

I don't want to start a precedent of the group coming to the rescue
everytime someone's personal property gets stolen, but Mike's robot has
been such a regular project of Mike's within the cave, that I feel we
should do something. Mike has won gold medals at a national competition
with this robot, and done so in the group's name. This theft really
does piss me off.

Like I said, we can discuss and vote on this on Thursday, but I at least
want to put it out there as a motivating possibility ASAP. No promises.

If we can track down spammers on their personal cell phones because they
slightly annoyed us on list, then I hope we can put a little effort
into helping a fellow member recover a project he is passionate about.

ax0n

Sep 25, 2009, 12:31:27 PM9/25/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
As one who's tried a few times to recover stolen goods with dismal
failure every time, I can say the difference between a spammer and a
thief is that the spammer wants to be contacted and always leaves some
kind of contact info, even if it's only a pseudonymous email address
or private-registered domain name. Many thieves sell off-the-market
entirely. They bypass pawn shops and go directly for marketing to
people they come across. He could have pitched Boomer to any of the
stadium fans during the mass exodus. "Hey, I'm kind of hard up on
cash, need gas money to get home. Do you want to buy this cool robot
model for $25? Your kid will love it!" -- completely missing the point
that it's a several-hundred-dollar fully programmable and
remotely-controlled machine, the thief often tries to offload things
as quickly as possible just to get rid of it and scare up a few bucks
to live on or get the next hit.

Having a model number or some identifying information would be a good
start, I'll agree... but I've searched and called the usual places in
town (and not in town, like eBay) to no avail. Unfortunately, thieves
don't usually hold on to hot equipment very long, and the people who
buy the wares usually assume that they were helping someone out and
getting a strange but legitimate deal. They're unlikely to see any
all-points-bulletins on the local fora and classifieds.

Mike, you may try posting to a few of the sections in Craigslist, see
if any Chiefs fans saw someone hawking a robot. I know if *I* saw it,
I'd remember something like that.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Jestin Stoffel

Rob K

Sep 25, 2009, 3:02:50 PM9/25/09
to CCCKC
Sorry to hear about your robot.
> <jestin.stof...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I know it wasn't stolen from from the space (right, Mike?), but I still
> > feel like the group should do all it can to recover the robot.  If the
> > best we can do is offer a non-cash reward and perhaps get volunteers to
> > put up fliers, than I'm for it.
>
> > I don't want to start a precedent of the group coming to the rescue
> > everytime someone's personal property gets stolen, but Mike's robot has
> > been such a regular project of Mike's within the cave, that I feel we
> > should do something.  Mike has won gold medals at a national competition
> > with this robot, and done so in the group's name.  This theft really
> > does piss me off.
>
> > Like I said, we can discuss and vote on this on Thursday, but I at least
> > want to put it out there as a motivating possibility ASAP.  No promises.
>
> > If we can track down spammers on their personal cell phones because they
> > slightly annoyed us on list, then I hope we can put a little effort
> > into helping a fellow member recover a project he is passionate about.
>
> > On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 10:31 -0500, Bill Swearingen wrote:
> >> I'm still not clear where it was stolen from.  This makes a big
> >> difference.  If it was stolen from the space, we need to take
> >> additional actions than if it was stolen from Arrowhead stadium.
>
> >> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 10:24 AM, James Costello
> >> <genesisw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>         I'd second this motion.
>
> >>         On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Jestin Stoffel
> >>                 > <moverstreet...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>                 >         It happen during the Chiefs game.
> >>                 >
> >>                 >
> >>                 >
> >>                 >         On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:09 PM, cinus
> >>                 <tgueri...@gmail.com>
> >>                 >         wrote:
> >>                 >                 Did this happen at the space?
> >>                 >
> >>                 >
> >>                 >
> >>                 >                 On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:00 PM,
> >>                 SomeoneKnows

Cory Kennedy

Sep 25, 2009, 4:00:24 PM9/25/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com

Gort

Oct 2, 2009, 1:41:13 PM10/2/09
to CCCKC
I have some good news. Tony from Hitec was true to his word. I got
Boomer II last night! I am still holding out hope that I can find
Boomer because of all the custom mods that I did but I am back in
business though.

On Sep 25, 3:00 pm, Cory Kennedy <clkenn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I called A - J before i was unable to.  No luck.
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=pawn+shop...

ax0n

Oct 2, 2009, 1:49:28 PM10/2/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com