try running this simpler benchmark on the tablets

1 view

Stephen Bannasch

Apr 21, 2011, 4:44:12 PM4/21/11
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious how fast this Energy2D JavaScript engine implemented *just* as a benchmark without any graphics runs on tablets and
smartphones:

https://bug636096.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=514432

Here are results from my MacBook Pro. 2.66 GHz Intel Core i&, system 10.6.7

Browsers that support JavaScript Typed Arrays:

FireFox V4: 100 steps: 2965ms (34 fps)
Webkit Nightly (84467) 100 steps: 4653ms (21 fps)
Chrome 10.0.648.127 100 steps: 2434ms (41 fps)

Interesting that after updating Minefield it slowed by 25%

Minefield 4.0pre23 100 steps: 2452ms (41 fps)
Minefield 6.0a1 (2011-04-21) 100 steps: 3114ms (32 fps)

Older browsers

FireFox 3.6.15 100 steps: 2758ms (36 fps)
Safari Version 5.0.4 (6533.20.27) 100 steps: 24420ms (4 fps)

Interesting that FireFox 3.6.15 (without Typed Arrays) is faster than FireFox v4 (with typed arrays).

Paul Horwitz

Apr 21, 2011, 4:50:08 PM4/21/11
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
Also interesting that Safari 5.0.4 is ten times slower than the "best of show"!

Paul

--
Dr. Paul Horwitz
The Concord Consortium

Noah Paessel

Apr 21, 2011, 5:07:19 PM4/21/11
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
Mobile safari on IOS 4.3.2 doesn't display a benchmark for me. It does
'sit there' for at least a 5 count after I push the button.
The error message is (heh heh) Error On Line 769: JavaScriptExecution
exceeded timeout.

- n

Dan Damelin

Apr 21, 2011, 5:07:51 PM4/21/11
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
Tried to run on my iPod touch but only saw a "benchmark" button. When I pushed it, it stayed "pressed" for several seconds, but I saw no output indicating a measurement.
-Dan

Noah Paessel

Apr 21, 2011, 5:10:22 PM4/21/11
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
For IOS people out there, you can turn on your javascript console in
safari by following these instructions:
http://maisonbisson.com/blog/post/14447/step-by-step-turn-on-the-iphone-ipads-web-debugging-console/

You will probably want to turn it off again, because it takes up
significant real-estate.

- noah

Stephen Bannasch

Apr 21, 2011, 6:56:46 PM4/21/11
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
At 5:07 PM -0400 4/21/11, Dan Damelin wrote:
>Tried to run on my iPod touch but only saw a "benchmark" button. When I pushed it, it stayed "pressed" for several seconds, but I saw no output indicating a measurement.
>-Dan

On Safari it takes 24s to return a value (4 models steps per second * 100 model steps).

I think the iPad 2 runs it at about 1 model step per second -- so if it didn't time out it might take almost 2 minutes to return.

I suppose an iPod touch would be even slower.

Scott Cytacki

Apr 21, 2011, 9:47:27 PM4/21/11
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
on a first generation motorola droid (android) I got:
164s

I had given up but then went back to look. :)

Scott

Sam Fentress

Apr 22, 2011, 9:56:17 AM4/22/11
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
At first glance, seeing the results in ms, I though I had almost the exact same result as Scott's, which made sense as we have the same phone. Then I realized there was an extra decimal place.

I get 1611s (about 26 minutes) on my Droid running Android's Browser 2.2

Sam

Paul Horwitz

Apr 22, 2011, 10:31:03 AM4/22/11
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
That seems incredibly slow! Remind me again, what were the times in a browser? Weren't they less than a minute? No wonder those phones get so much battery life!

Paul

Aaron Unger

Apr 22, 2011, 10:51:49 AM4/22/11
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
Droid 2, Android 2.2:

android browser: 79-80s.
dolphin hd: 78-80s.
firefox 4: 69-71s (skewed slightly, because it would ask every 20 seconds if I wanted to stop the script)

-- Aaron

Stephen Bannasch

Apr 22, 2011, 11:31:54 AM4/22/11
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
>That seems incredibly slow! Remind me again, what were the times in a browser? Weren't they less than a minute? No wonder thosephones get so much battery life!

Paul,

In modern fast browsers on my MacBook Pro the benchmark takes about 3s.

Are you viewing this email thread with an application which let's you easily see the beginning of the conversation?

This is quoting from my first message:

Sam Fentress

Apr 22, 2011, 12:48:53 PM4/22/11
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
I noticed that my phone had some updates pending, so I upgraded to 2.2, restarted, and ran the tests again. This time I got a much more reasonable 159 seconds.

It's also quite possible that the phone went to sleep while performing the test the previous time. I'm not sure whether Android will continue running js scripts when the phone is asleep.

Sam

At 4:44 PM -0400 4/21/11, Stephen Bannasch wrote:
>Browsers that support JavaScript Typed Arrays:
>
>FireFox V4:                         100 steps: 2965ms (34 fps)
>Webkit Nightly (84467)              100 steps: 4653ms (21 fps)
>Chrome 10.0.648.127                 100 steps: 2434ms (41 fps)
>
>Interesting that after updating Minefield it slowed by 25%
>
>Minefield 4.0pre23                  100 steps: 2452ms (41 fps)
>Minefield 6.0a1 (2011-04-21)        100 steps: 3114ms (32 fps)
>
>Older browsers
>
>FireFox 3.6.15                     100 steps: 2758ms (36 fps)
>Safari Version 5.0.4 (6533.20.27)   100 steps: 24420ms (4 fps)

Paul Horwitz

Apr 22, 2011, 1:27:47 PM4/22/11
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
It's also quite possible that the phone went to sleep while performing the test the previous time. I'm not sure whether Android will continue running js scripts when the phone is asleep.

Ah, that sounds likely!

Paul

Stephen Bannasch

Apr 27, 2011, 4:22:10 PM4/27/11
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
>I noticed that my phone had some updates pending, so I upgraded to 2.2, restarted, and ran the tests again. This time I got a much more reasonable 159 seconds.
>
>It's also quite possible that the phone went to sleep while performing the test the previous time. I'm not sure whether Androidwill continue running js scripts when the phone is asleep.

Adam and I just tested the new Xoom and the iPad2:

The iPad 2 never responded after clicking the "Benchmark" button.

Motorala Xoom
Android 3.01
Kernel 2.6.36.3
Dual Core Nvidea Tegra-2

we tested 5 different browsers the results are the time in seconds to complete 100 models steps

Opera Mobile: v11.00
41.096 seconds

webkit-based browsers:

Android Browser
47.212

Dolphin Browser HD v4.6.1
47.054

SkyFire: v4.0
46.975

FireFox: v4.00 for Android
58.569s

Stephen Bannasch

Apr 27, 2011, 4:42:22 PM4/27/11
to cc-dev...@googlegroups.com
If you do decide to build the laullon branch (and already have thebrotherbard branch cloned) take a look at this thread on the
git mailing list to see how to deal with the fact that they use different repos for the same submodule:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/git/msg155344.html