[Ann] Splitting projects

hammett

Oct 28, 2008, 1:38:13 PM10/28/08
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com, castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

After a quick discussion the PMC decided to make a few changes to the
Castle Project:

- Projects will be split
- Each project will have a leader (positions open to any committer)

By that we intent to fix our release debt. as having each project
running individually allow us to release and document each one of them
without dragging/waiting for others.
For now that would right away allow us to release
- DynamicProxy 2.0.1
- Castle ActiveRecord
- Components/Services

Leaving MicroKernel/Windsor(+ Facilities) and MonoRail for a bit later.

I hope this change in direction - long overdue - will cause a very
positive impact on the .net community.

Thanks

--
Cheers,
hammett

Dom

Nov 2, 2008, 8:42:37 AM11/2/08
to Castle Project Users
Hi,
This sounds sweet to my hears of "consuming" user.
I know that I can contribute and so on, but it might be interesting
for you to hear where the frictions spots are for average Joes like me
that might just use the framework and not develop it.
Everything allowing "tagged" releases is positive. 1.0 releases are
great but even RCx are better than a build number. The pace of build
numbers is just to high and the breaking changes are difficult to
spot. This would also make using the contrib projects easier as they
could link to releases.
As an example I had to dig into the svn log of viewComponent contrib
project to find a version that would work with RC3 of MR, build it and
link my project to my own build.(Thank you FOSS that I can do this)

Another point, where I might be wrong, correct me on it. I usually
understand "RC" as stable API vs. "preview" where the API can change a
bit. Such a distinction would make things more predictable. The pace
of releases with breaking changes should not be to high in project
that came i RC, something like 6 months seems reasonable for the
maintenance of both the framework and the app' using the framework(ex
pushing bug fixes primary to the released version not to the next
version with breaking changes).

I use the opportunity to address a big thank to all the contributors,
Cheers,
Dom