Open Source CMS with Monorail / ActiveRecord

James G

Aug 31, 2007, 12:41:15 PM8/31/07
to Castle Project Users
Does anyone know of any ongoing development to build an open source
CMS with Monorail and ActiveRecord. I am starting to head down this
path on my own but I wanted to see if anyone has heard of anything.

Thanks,
James

Ben Lovell

Aug 31, 2007, 12:47:03 PM8/31/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Cuyahoga uses NHibernate and Windsow I believe but not Monorail. Not heard of any CMS frameworks using Monorail as yet.

Hamilton Verissimo

Aug 31, 2007, 12:50:06 PM8/31/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
The one we developed is closed source. I asked them to open it, but
havent heard back. There was an initiative towards that from Carlos
Ble.

--
Cheers,
hamilton verissimo

Adam Tybor

Aug 31, 2007, 12:52:47 PM8/31/07
to Castle Project Users
Ironic... I started tinkering with some stuff this week. I was not
planning on using AR or making it open source but I would certainly be
interested.
Adam

Vince McMullin

Aug 31, 2007, 1:09:10 PM8/31/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
I've been developing a CMS using webforms and planned to make it
opensource when finished (all basic functionality is done) but with my
interest in monorail I think it might be a good idea too. I'd be
willing to contribute.

-Vince

James G

Aug 31, 2007, 1:22:39 PM8/31/07
to Castle Project Users
Wow. Seems like this could be a popular ongoing topic. My current plan
was to develop something similar to what the http://www.djangoproject.com/
has already done. I was going to build a system with tightly
integrated permission / role / user system and to build a sort of
"production ready scaffolding" that included more that the normal
scaffolding that comes in monorail. The scaffolding would include
things like.

List searching (maybe ajax)
List sorting (maybe ajax)
Variables to determine which properties were shown for search, list
columns, and forms elements.
Ordering of columns in lists
Ordering of form elements
More robust form elements

Once completed, a developer could create whatever schema is needed for
a project, build some model and empty controller classes and be on
their way to developing a completely custom front end. Let me know
what you guys think of this idea and I am interested in hearing
everyone elses.

James

On Aug 31, 1:09 pm, "Vince McMullin" <vam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been developing a CMS using webforms and planned to make it
> opensource when finished (all basic functionality is done) but with my
> interest in monorail I think it might be a good idea too. I'd be
> willing to contribute.
>
> -Vince
>

> On 8/31/07, Adam Tybor <adam.ty...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Ironic... I started tinkering with some stuff this week. I was not
> > planning on using AR or making it open source but I would certainly be
> > interested.
> > Adam
>
> > On Aug 31, 11:41 am, James G <james.gib...@marginnone.com> wrote:
> > > Does anyone know of any ongoing development to build an open source
> > > CMS with Monorail and ActiveRecord. I am starting to head down this
> > > path on my own but I wanted to see if anyone has heard of anything.
>
> > > Thanks,

> > > James- Hide quoted text -

Hamilton Verissimo

Aug 31, 2007, 2:08:00 PM8/31/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
While there might be some overlap, this is not a CMS, is it? You
should check Plone for inspiration (that what I did).

Vince McMullin

Aug 31, 2007, 4:39:05 PM8/31/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
This isn't really a CMS I agree with Hamilton.

My idea was more or less to build a web portal which would certainly
help increase average developer interest if it were opensource and
given to the community that way.

Sean Chambers

Aug 31, 2007, 5:24:22 PM8/31/07
to Castle Project Users
I have already built a CMS that is tightly coupled to K-12 education.
It is not open source as it is only used at my workplace. It launched
at the beginning of August. You can find it at http://www.flaglerschools.com/

It has School/Department/Teacher "WebPages" that the user can login
and maintain themselves. Upcoming features are Blogs/Podcasts. It took
me about 6 months total, on and off to develop it by myself.

I would be interested in contributing to any open source project.
There may be some code I have already developed that could be used.

The cms I developed uses TinyMCE for the page editor. Three different
levels of roles. Admin, Contributor and Teacher. The authorization is
done against Active Directory and roles are held in AD as well. At the
time of login, the roles in the db are updated so AD only has to be
queried at login. At the moment there is about 150 teachers and 20
staff using the portal.

I am in the process now of making it more flexible and more
administrator features as I have not developed those yet. I didn't
implement any sort of module plugin framework although in hindsight I
should have but I didnt have enough time. It uses NHhibernate/Windsor/
MonoRail with NVelocity for the view engine. I attempted to embrace
DDD techniques although this was my first shot so parts of the domain
model are a little anemic althought it is very easy to understand/
extend.

Let me know if you want more information

Sean

On Aug 31, 4:39 pm, "Vince McMullin" <vam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This isn't really a CMS I agree with Hamilton.
>
> My idea was more or less to build a web portal which would certainly
> help increase average developer interest if it were opensource and
> given to the community that way.
>

> On 8/31/07, Hamilton Verissimo <hamm...@castlestronghold.com> wrote:
>

> > While there might be some overlap, this is not a CMS, is it? You
> > should check Plone for inspiration (that what I did).
>

> > On 8/31/07, James G <james.gib...@marginnone.com> wrote:
>
> > > Wow. Seems like this could be a popular ongoing topic. My current plan

> > > was to develop something similar to what thehttp://www.djangoproject.com/

> > hamm...@castlestronghold.com
> >http://www.castlestronghold.com/

Brian

Aug 31, 2007, 8:36:15 PM8/31/07
to Castle Project Users
I developed a custom CMS using WebForms for a client (http://
www.gnyha.org) about two years ago. It had more of a focus on easy
content management than enormous layout flexibility. Personally, I
liked the solution we came up with, which turned out to be very easy
for the client to understand. (When we first showed them something
like DotNetNuke they were so intimidated by it that we decided to
build a simpler solution to meet their needs.) There were some very
core requirements -- role-based security, URL redirection (we migrated
a 1000+ page web site to the CMS, and couldn't permit broken links), a
flexible hierarchy (they wanted to be able to move sections around and
insert sections in the middle of the hierarchy easily), integrated
file management (with security)... In the end, focusing on a product
that the client can use effectively was better than a product with
bells and whistles that the client would never figure out how to use
correctly.

A cool CMS I evaluated was http://www.umbraco.org -- definitely worth
looking at to steal ideas from if you're planning on building a CMS.

- b

Sean Chambers

Sep 1, 2007, 12:47:53 AM9/1/07
to Castle Project Users
+1 to that. I also looked at umbraco when I first started to develop
my solution.

Another one to look at is Mambo : http://www.mamboserver.com

On Aug 31, 8:36 pm, Brian <bdema...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I developed a custom CMS using WebForms for a client (http://www.gnyha.org) about two years ago. It had more of a focus on easy

> content management than enormous layout flexibility. Personally, I
> liked the solution we came up with, which turned out to be very easy
> for the client to understand. (When we first showed them something
> like DotNetNuke they were so intimidated by it that we decided to
> build a simpler solution to meet their needs.) There were some very
> core requirements -- role-based security, URL redirection (we migrated
> a 1000+ page web site to the CMS, and couldn't permit broken links), a
> flexible hierarchy (they wanted to be able to move sections around and
> insert sections in the middle of the hierarchy easily), integrated
> file management (with security)... In the end, focusing on a product
> that the client can use effectively was better than a product with
> bells and whistles that the client would never figure out how to use
> correctly.
>

> A cool CMS I evaluated washttp://www.umbraco.org-- definitely worth

Carlos Ble

Sep 1, 2007, 5:00:15 AM9/1/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I was working on an open CMS but it was one year ago and I don't know if the project is active or not.
CastlePortal: https://developer.berlios.de/projects/castleportal/
When I left the project it was in a very early stage of development.
Ask the guys at shidix.com

Good luck

Dan Bunea

Sep 1, 2007, 5:14:52 AM9/1/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We are developing a CMS, as a product and the first release date is 15.09, entirely based on Castle MR, but not Castle AR. The idea is very simple, as in most cms-es:
1. design the page
2. define what will be later editable
3. trough a form fill the data and render the whole thing obtaining a page

The genius about it, is that you can create/remove such fields while it is running without crashing it (that's why it doen't use a relational DB and AR), and still being incredible fast. We have shown clients, creating and chaging what they can edit in the meeting with them here, and they were a little shocked, accustomed
to having atabase schema updates that need a lot of carefullness

It will be commercial, but the fee will be low: base for product about 1000 EURO - $1,300. We are looking for collaborators.

The concept demos before we started are here: http://www.eptala.ro/theblogengine.htm and http://www.eptala.ro/indexddc.htm

Thanks,
Dan

Ask the guys at shidix.com

Good luck

--
Dan Bunea
http://danbunea.blogspot.com

goodwill

Sep 1, 2007, 5:19:05 AM9/1/07
to Castle Project Users
I am developing one with quite a bit progress. Its being launched on
www.premierherbal.com (chinese site)
I think its a quite big topic here :) I personally dont know how to
classify if its really a CMS or no. Currently I have a content page
controller which would do most shared view based information
rendering, a CompositeViewSourceLoader keeping view files available
either from db or file (i.e. Admin use file, end user content use db),
a simple PostListComponent with tag based filtering and search
support, and then a web shop.

I am currently developing this as my ISV product and while I support
idea of open source, currently I can't find good enough business
alignment initiative for myself. If anyone could put up some idea I
might consider open that up.

And Carlos, maybe its a good idea to define what is CMS so far. I have
seen a lot of different implementations, they range from simple blog
like post list to a huge framework which in theory you can plug
anything in. I found this is interesting, as originally I have
developed mine to be page content provider with some simple security,
now I foresee its not enough and I am enhancing it with something not
so content only (such as e-shop). Afterall I haven't played with any
major CMS (I hate PHP, sorry, so XOOPS for example, I havent touched).
Plone I remember is on Python/Zope?

> > > A cool CMS I evaluated washttp://www.umbraco.org--definitely worth

> > > looking at to steal ideas from if you're planning on building a CMS.
>

> > > - b- Hide quoted text -

Carlos Ble

Sep 1, 2007, 7:18:04 AM9/1/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
I used mambo, drupal, and plone in the past so the idea of castleportal was
something like that. Well, not as comprehensive as Plone.
However I think that I didn't know monorail enough at that
point and the project (as I left it) needed to be rewritten in my opinion.
Cheers

2007/9/1, goodwill <william....@gmail.com>:

I am developing one with quite a bit progress. Its being launched on
www.premierherbal.com (chinese site)
I think its a quite big topic here :) I personally dont know how to
classify if its really a CMS or no. Currently I have a content page
controller which would do most shared view based information
rendering, a CompositeViewSourceLoader keeping view files available
either from db or file ( i.e. Admin use file, end user content use db),

goodwill

Sep 1, 2007, 7:38:10 AM9/1/07
to Castle Project Users
I think I am just not geek enough to like plone at all. I have indeed
read about Zope a few years ago, and never think I would ever like
it :) Its way too difficult to understand without getting in depth of
the Zope world. The problem is even in user perspective you have to
understand Zope Management Interface! I just checked thru the
documentation to find something as simple as changing the logo for
Plone. Nope. Never, I would never like it. Thats not I envision as a
CMS user likes.

In my head what most users probably would like something like he could
post an HTML post in a defined location with much freedom, and then
developers like us customize the skin for them. I don't think Plone
would be user customizable- to build a skin is very obviously a
developer's job, so if thats the case, NVelocity/Brail is a decent DSL
for this job. I guess thats why I never liked those full featured CMS.

I rememeber you did one before, I have indeed played a bit on your
test site. While the layout looks ugly, I am more or less able to
understand what you are trying to do. I don't know, in most cases I
think I prefer to just customize the site with view scripts rather
than clicking lots of add/remove button and being framed in a square
like layout. Take dotNetNuke for example, its very 'container'
oriented, I never think I would like such website, unless I am really
in hurry. And if I am in hurry, maybe a Wiki is more suitable for
me :)

My idea is- maybe just build a navigation structure with page content
embedded, then try to enhance the editor a bit to make those more
difficult part (e.g. adding view components) possible for layman (a
dialog with a few parameters and clues on it?) but I did a quick test
with fckeditor and it doesn't like anything not so HTML even if you
type it in source mode. I guess making a user friendly editor is
really the hard part as it involves a lot of javascript. After that I
really don't think other basic content storage and indexing work too
complicated. (Oh well, when you add up searching there's a few thing
to cater between the view and the real result HTML, but as long as all
in DB, I guess they are searchable?)

It could sound messy here :P But I guess its because I am not someone
being 'educated' to love those CMS framework. At least not for now.

On Sep 1, 7:18 pm, "Carlos Ble" <ble.jur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I used mambo, drupal, and plone in the past so the idea of castleportal was
> something like that. Well, not as comprehensive as Plone.
> However I think that I didn't know monorail enough at that
> point and the project (as I left it) needed to be rewritten in my opinion.
> Cheers
>

> 2007/9/1, goodwill <william.yeung...@gmail.com>:

> > I am developing one with quite a bit progress. Its being launched on

> >www.premierherbal.com(chinese site)

> > I think its a quite big topic here :) I personally dont know how to
> > classify if its really a CMS or no. Currently I have a content page
> > controller which would do most shared view based information
> > rendering, a CompositeViewSourceLoader keeping view files available

> > either from db or file (i.e. Admin use file, end user content use db),

goodwill

Sep 1, 2007, 7:41:06 AM9/1/07
to Castle Project Users
fckeditor and it doesn't like anything not so HTML even if you
type it in source mode. <- By the way, I mean any view directive like
#component, <% %>

Ayende Rahien

Sep 1, 2007, 8:16:58 AM9/1/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Dan,
where are you keeping the data, then?

James G

Sep 1, 2007, 8:21:53 AM9/1/07
to Castle Project Users
Hey guys. Great discussion. I would like to say that my intention with
the project I am creating is not to build the most robust CMS ever
created. I want to empower Monorail developers to be able to quickly
(within a couple of hours) create a full back end (users, permission,
roles, content and files) to manage data that is "production ready". I
know that this idea would go along way to simplifing my life and if it
can help me then I am sure that others will be able to benefit from
the idea.

James

Dan Bunea

Sep 1, 2007, 9:59:11 AM9/1/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ayende,

I cannot give too manydetails now, because I haven't decided what will I do with this in the future (sell it, open source it etc), but it is like this:

 - a framework, as AR, to allow the dynamic creation of types, properties and relations, without the need of compilation or ALTER statements

1. Properties

Item product = new Item("Product");
product["Name"]="CMS20";
product.Save();

Item product2 = new Item("Product");
product2["Name"]="Taia";
product2["Category"]="Software innovation";
product2.Save();

Item[] allSoftware = Item.Query("TYPE='Product' AND Category='Software innovation'");

Assert.AreEqual (1,allSoftware.Length );

2. Relationships

2.1 establishing

Item category = new Item("Category");
category["Name"]="Cars";
category.Save();

Item product = new Item("Product");
product["Name"]="BMW";
product.AddRelated("Categories",category); // (a tostring())
product.Save ();

2.2 obtaining related items

product.FindRelated ("Categories")

I will keep you posted of how this evolves.

Thanks,
Dan

goodwill

Sep 1, 2007, 10:04:33 AM9/1/07
to Castle Project Users
"Production ready", I wonder if its going to be like that. The fact is
these template things experience varies a lot. The best tool you can
get is develop one for a specific project, the refactor it back to a
framework, thats how Ruby on Rails comes off. I think its not going to
be anytime soon for you to get something really good enough for
production. Microsoft never provides such thing (examples are
Enterprise Application Block, I don't think using it speed up your
deployment time, but indeed slow down usually).

MonoRail provides a good enough framework for you to incrementally
build what you need. I guess the missing piece is a generator that
really creates something close enough for building your work on top of
it. There are something scattered around for your needs to be
fulfilled, but a couple hours make something production ready, I don't
have much hope about it. Try to create your extension with Plone and
you will know its not a few hours either. To study the CMS itself and
then adopt to it probably takes a week, if its something like Plone's
scale (lets put aside I hate it a lot :p) The fact is you probably end
up with something productional a few hours if you start with plain MR
and dont go too far about the security, and then build that up
incrementally. A CMS I guess is going to help when you need things to
really scale in more enterprise like situation for content management,
but I don't think its going to fit your intention.

goodwill

Sep 1, 2007, 10:08:43 AM9/1/07
to Castle Project Users
And, rewrite is the way to learn, if you don't know how, fail it :P
thats what Kent Beck said :P Why not try again if you have a bit
energy? :P

On Sep 1, 7:18 pm, "Carlos Ble" <ble.jur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I used mambo, drupal, and plone in the past so the idea of castleportal was
> something like that. Well, not as comprehensive as Plone.
> However I think that I didn't know monorail enough at that
> point and the project (as I left it) needed to be rewritten in my opinion.
> Cheers
>

> 2007/9/1, goodwill <william.yeung...@gmail.com>:

> > I am developing one with quite a bit progress. Its being launched on

> >www.premierherbal.com(chinese site)

> > I think its a quite big topic here :) I personally dont know how to
> > classify if its really a CMS or no. Currently I have a content page
> > controller which would do most shared view based information
> > rendering, a CompositeViewSourceLoader keeping view files available

> > either from db or file (i.e. Admin use file, end user content use db),

Carlos Ble

Sep 1, 2007, 10:09:02 AM9/1/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hei goodwill, it would be nice if you gather all your reflections on this discussion thread and put them
in a post in your blog along with some other commets. I definitively would link it from my blog.

Regarding the MonoRail generator, I have to say that Marc-Andre's generator was very nice to me.

Thanks mate

2007/9/1, goodwill <william....@gmail.com>:
> > > difficult part ( e.g. adding view components) possible for layman (a

> > > dialog with a few parameters and clues on it?) but I did a quick test
> > > with fckeditor and it doesn't like anything not so HTML even if you
> > > type it in source mode. I guess making a user friendly editor is
> > > really the hard part as it involves a lot of javascript. After that I
> > > really don't think other basic content storage and indexing work too
> > > complicated. (Oh well, when you add up searching there's a few thing
> > > to cater between the view and the real result HTML, but as long as all
> > > in DB, I guess they are searchable?)
>
> > > It could sound messy here :P But I guess its because I am not someone
> > > being 'educated' to love those CMS framework. At least not for now.

goodwill

Sep 1, 2007, 10:47:17 AM9/1/07
to Castle Project Users
:) I would try, it takes some time though- I guess I would write
something about what I think an CMS should do and what I dont like
about existing CMS, that probably would clarifies a bit.

On Sep 1, 10:09 pm, "Carlos Ble" <ble.jur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hei goodwill, it would be nice if you gather all your reflections on this
> discussion thread and put them
> in a post in your blog along with some other commets. I definitively would
> link it from my blog.
>
> Regarding the MonoRail generator, I have to say that Marc-Andre's generator
> was very nice to me.
>
> Thanks mate

> read more »

goodwill

Sep 1, 2007, 10:52:03 AM9/1/07
to Castle Project Users
I think the main issue of the generator is not the generator itself :P
(Ok I know it sounds mouthful) The main issue is VS would not know the
file's presence without refreshing the project and include that
manually. If you ever tried Ruby on Rails you can feel the agility on
change reflection. I wonder how we could get close with MonoRail
(something with compilation need and typed), lets see what would
hammett comes up this time :)

On Sep 1, 10:09 pm, "Carlos Ble" <ble.jur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hei goodwill, it would be nice if you gather all your reflections on this
> discussion thread and put them
> in a post in your blog along with some other commets. I definitively would
> link it from my blog.
>
> Regarding the MonoRail generator, I have to say that Marc-Andre's generator
> was very nice to me.
>
> Thanks mate

> read more »

Ayende Rahien

Sep 1, 2007, 11:30:52 AM9/1/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hm, okay.
Just FYI, take a look at dynamic components in NHibernate.

Sean Chambers

Sep 1, 2007, 12:56:24 PM9/1/07
to Castle Project Users
This is a really good point. I think this is the point I am at now. I
already have built the CMS, and am attempting to refactor into a
framework now.

This is a very good thread. Lots of good discussion here. Cheers!

goodwill

Oct 3, 2007, 9:39:29 AM10/3/07
to Castle Project Users
Dear All,
I have written a messy post about my views on CMS:
http://bugthis.blogspot.com/2007/10/defining-cms.html

I would write another one follow up as after some plone experiment I
think I have some better idea.
William