ActiveWriter VS2010

Nicholas Kilian

May 31, 2010, 9:30:12 AM5/31/10
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Update for ActiveWriter to VS2010.

Source Code

Install File

Changes

·         No more Setup project, the Dsl Project creates a .vsix file that will allow you to install directly to the Visual Studio Extension Manager.

Issues

·         I haven’t tested this extensively in VS2010

To Do

Regards

Nick Kilian

Nicholas Kilian

May 31, 2010, 9:31:25 AM5/31/10
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com

Um, whoops. Multi-tasking and sending emails doesn’t work too well. Busy uploading source code, will complete post shortly.

Nicholas Kilian

May 31, 2010, 10:06:01 AM5/31/10
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Update for ActiveWriter to VS2010.

Source Code

Changes

·         No more Setup project, the Dsl Project creates a .vsix file that will allow you to install directly to the Visual Studio Extension Manager.

·         Namespace changed from Altinoren.ActiveWriter to Castle.ActiveWriter.

·         Framework changed from 3.5 to 4.0.

·         Assembly references upgraded to 10.0.

·         Full list of changes available once committed to SVN.

Issues

·         I haven’t tested this extensively in VS2010.

·         VSPackage.resx was giving issues, created VSPackage1.resx as a work around.

·         Some code had an #IF .NET35, removed.

To Do

·         Add Copyright info back into some files.

·         Upgrade Debugging project to AR2.0.

·         Documentation.

·         Add to SVN/GIT.

Regards

Nick Kilian

Mohamed Meligy

May 31, 2010, 3:57:05 PM5/31/10
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Great News. Thanks a lot :)

--
Mohamed Meligy
Senior Developer (Microsoft Technologies - Technical Delivery)

Direct:  +971   2 4045385
Mobile: +971 50 2623624, +971 55 2017 621

E-mail: eng.m...@gmail.com
Weblog: http://gurustop.net

Michael Maddox

Jul 3, 2010, 9:01:25 AM7/3/10
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Nick,

I downloaded the ActiveWriter for VS2010 installer:

http://www.nicholaskilian.net/activewriter/Castle.ActiveWriter.DslPackage.vsix

I double clicked it to install it. The install log looks clean (no errors).

I can create the diagram, but no code generation is happening. When I
try to run the custom tool manually, I get this error:

--
Cannot find custom tool 'ActiveWriterCodeGenerator' on this system.
--

If it matters, I have ActiveWriter for VS2008 working on the same machine.

Any ideas?

-Michael Maddox
http://www.capprime.com/software_development_weblog/

Nicholas Kilian

Jul 3, 2010, 9:52:03 AM7/3/10
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

This is unfortunately a Microsoft bug in the current release of the VSIX
generation.
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/552622/deployed-c
ustom-code-generator-using-vsix-has-wrong-codebase-in-registry

You need to edit the following registry key to point it to the correct
location of the Castle.ActiveWrite.DslPackage.dll

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0_Config\CLSID\{2e39ff4
5-b117-4126-9073-7ddcbec3e113}\CodeBase

The current version of the vsix package will install the DLL to
C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Extensions (on
Win7 at least), the next release will install to the VisualStudio install
path so all users have access to it.

There is some info here on how to correct this as a post-build task that I
will look to implement -
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsx/thread/4bb91fe2-3262-4236-
8008-47820b16dbb8

Regards
Nick

Michael Maddox

Jul 3, 2010, 10:57:01 AM7/3/10
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the detailed explanation and workaround.

For whatever reason, it took me a few tries, but this value for
CodeBase eventually worked for me on W2K3:

file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Michael/Local Settings/Application
Data/Microsoft/VisualStudio/10.0/Extensions/altinoren.com/ActiveWriter/1.0.0.0/Castle.ActiveWriter.DslPackage.dll

-Michael

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Nicholas Kilian

Tom

Jul 13, 2011, 5:26:50 AM7/13/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hi, colleagues . Could you explain me how to use this tool at all ? As I understand, after I installed it in VS, some "Active writer" tab should appear in a window where are solution explorer and others placed ? May be I missed something ? how to start this tool at all ?

Alexandre Valente

Jul 13, 2011, 7:41:21 AM7/13/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Just create a new ActiveWriter file, it should be available on "new item" menu option.

Cheers,

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 6:26 AM, Tom <btsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, colleagues . Could you explain me how to use this tool at all ? As I understand, after I installed it in VS, some "Active writer" tab should appear in a window where are solution explorer and others placed ? May be I missed something ? how to start this tool at all ?

Артём google

Jul 13, 2011, 7:59:38 AM7/13/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Alexandre Valente <alexandre...@gmail.com> писал(а) в своём письме
Wed, 13 Jul 2011 18:41:21 +0700:

> Hi,
>
> Just create a new ActiveWriter file, it should be available on "new item"
> menu option.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Alexandre Valente <http://wordpress.com/agvalente>

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 6:26 AM, Tom <btsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, colleagues . Could you explain me how to use this tool at all ? As I
>> understand, after I installed it in VS, some "Active writer" tab should
>> appear in a window where are solution explorer and others placed ? May
>> be I
>> missed something ? how to start this tool at all ?
>>
>> --
>> .
>> castle-project-u...@googlegroups.com.
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/castle-project-users?hl=en.

The thing is that there is no such item in this dialog. I also tried to
use mindscape Nhibernete designer: after installation I can see it in the
list, and it's activated . Maybe these extension don't work because my VS
has a russian language. maybe there are some conflicts. What do you think
? Can it be so ?

--
Написано в почтовом клиенте браузера Opera: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Артём google

Jul 13, 2011, 8:14:48 AM7/13/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Alexandre Valente <alexandre...@gmail.com> писал(а) в своём письме
Wed, 13 Jul 2011 18:41:21 +0700:

> Hi,

> Just create a new ActiveWriter file, it should be available on "new item"
> menu option.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Alexandre Valente <http://wordpress.com/agvalente>

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 6:26 AM, Tom <btsh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, colleagues . Could you explain me how to use this tool at all ? As I
>> understand, after I installed it in VS, some "Active writer" tab should
>> appear in a window where are solution explorer and others placed ? May
>> be I
>> missed something ? how to start this tool at all ?
>>
>> --
>> .
>> castle-project-u...@googlegroups.com.
>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/castle-project-users?hl=en.

Sorry, Mindscape works, but with a Class library project and doesn't work
with a WibSite - type project. Anyway, Active writer didn't appear in this
case too

Alexandre Valente

Jul 13, 2011, 8:15:54 AM7/13/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Might be...

Try to create a file named myentities.actiw and double-click it. If it fails to open on ActiveWriter designer, the installation failed.

Cheers,

Alexandre Valente

2011/7/13 Артём google <btsh...@gmail.com>
[...]

Артём google

Jul 13, 2011, 8:53:43 PM7/13/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Alexandre Valente <alexandre...@gmail.com> писал(а) в своём письме
Wed, 13 Jul 2011 19:15:54 +0700:

> Might be...
>
> Try to create a file named myentities.actiw and double-click it. If it
> fails
> to open on ActiveWriter designer, the installation failed.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alexandre Valente
>
> 2011/7/13 Артём google <btsh...@gmail.com>

Thanks a lot ! It works.