Moving Castle Generator to the main trunk

Hamilton Verissimo

Jan 4, 2007, 2:09:51 PM1/4/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
What do you guys think about it?

Thanks

--
Cheers,
hamilton verissimo
ham...@castlestronghold.com
http://www.castlestronghold.com/

Ayende Rahien

Jan 4, 2007, 2:16:25 PM1/4/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
+1 from me, seems to be like a good way to start doing things.

macournoyer

Jan 4, 2007, 2:49:10 PM1/4/07
to Castle Project Development List
+1000000, if I may

:)

Roelof Blom

Jan 4, 2007, 5:33:38 PM1/4/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Yes, please do because (quoting web site) '[...]will look similar to current MR scaffold with the difference that the code is live in you project so you can add a field, color [...]' is reason enough :-)

-- Roelof.

Hamilton Verissimo

Jan 4, 2007, 5:37:11 PM1/4/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Totally!
But my real goal is to exercise it some more, and eventually have the
VS.Net wizards using it.

On 1/4/07, Roelof Blom <roelo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, please do because (quoting web site) '[...]will look similar to current
> MR scaffold with the difference that the code is live in you project so you
> can add a field, color [...]' is reason enough :-)

Ayende Rahien

Jan 4, 2007, 5:39:24 PM1/4/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
You mean that I would be able to do right click Generate New Model, fill in the fields, and get everything?!
That would be a real killer feature.
Hell, just doing it from the cmd line is excellent.

Hamilton Verissimo

Jan 4, 2007, 5:45:02 PM1/4/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
No, I didn't. :-)
But yes, that would be cool too.

On 1/4/07, Ayende Rahien <aye...@ayende.com> wrote:
> You mean that I would be able to do right click Generate New Model, fill in
> the fields, and get everything?!
> That would be a real killer feature.
> Hell, just doing it from the cmd line is excellent.

Freyr Magnússon

Jan 4, 2007, 8:35:08 PM1/4/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
+1 for bringing the nant migrator task too

Freyr

Jason Nelson

Jan 4, 2007, 11:32:38 PM1/4/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
+1 +1 GO!

This tool has saved me countless hours.

Peter Berkenbosch

Jan 5, 2007, 2:20:31 AM1/5/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
+1

Totally cool.

Ken Egozi

Jan 5, 2007, 3:35:07 AM1/5/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com

+1

Though I do not use it since I am not using .vm, it is a major part of the Monorail business, being an important step towards real RAD

+1

Totally cool.

Ayende Rahien

Jan 5, 2007, 4:16:08 AM1/5/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
There is a patch that makes it works with Brail, and so there will be a way to generate AspView

josh robb

Jan 5, 2007, 6:52:59 AM1/5/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
+1

Craig Neuwirt

Jan 5, 2007, 7:01:45 AM1/5/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
+1

josh robb

Jan 10, 2007, 7:20:20 AM1/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Marc-Andre - whats the deal with the source code for the migrator? Is
this released somewhere?

I agree totally with Freyr - this would be a _super_ useful addition
to the project.

j.

Peter Berkenbosch

Jan 10, 2007, 7:59:32 AM1/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
The migrator source is part of NProject and is available.
I'm not sure where exactly because Marc-Andre has some server issues?

Peter.

Hamilton Verissimo

Jan 10, 2007, 8:00:49 AM1/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
NProject is now on nproject.castleproject.org :-)

On 1/10/07, Peter Berkenbosch <peter.be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The migrator source is part of NProject and is available.
> I'm not sure where exactly because Marc-Andre has some server issues?

Peter Berkenbosch

Jan 10, 2007, 8:02:01 AM1/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Nice :) Generous of you Hamilton!

Peter Berkenbosch

Jan 10, 2007, 8:40:02 AM1/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Mm, does that also includes the subversion repository? I can;t seem to find it.

josh robb

Jan 10, 2007, 8:58:10 AM1/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Ahh... I'd missed that - (I did look - I just didn't look carefully enough).

http://nproject.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nproject/Migrator/trunk/

josh robb

Jan 10, 2007, 8:59:04 AM1/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
What about moving this to contrib? (justification - the generator
loosely depends on it).

Peter Berkenbosch

Jan 10, 2007, 8:59:12 AM1/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Ahh, there it is :) Thanks.

Peter.

macournoyer

Jan 10, 2007, 12:24:35 PM1/10/07
to Castle Project Development List
Moving what to contrib ?

The generator doesn't depends on any other project.
Most templates are made for MonoRail and ActiveRecord but their's no
direct dependencies.

macournoyer

Jan 10, 2007, 12:32:31 PM1/10/07
to Castle Project Development List
If you were talking about moving the Migrator to contrib. I think not.

Loosing my commit rights on the Generator (since it's in the main trunk
and I'm not a commiter) have made me think twice before giving one of
my project away. Altough I do not regret it, it's my way of saying
thanks for bringing joy and coolness to .NET developpement :)

Hamilton Verissimo

Jan 10, 2007, 12:34:29 PM1/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
I think Josh is right. The migration generator creates a class that
extends a Migration (IIRC) and there's not such class on the
repository, neither on the assemblies referenced.

On 1/10/07, macournoyer <macou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Moving what to contrib ?
>
> The generator doesn't depends on any other project.
> Most templates are made for MonoRail and ActiveRecord but their's no
> direct dependencies.

Hamilton Verissimo

Jan 10, 2007, 1:13:04 PM1/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Marc, would you feel more comfortable if we move that back to the
contrib? I can say in advance that whining about not having committers
rights is not the best way to have it granted to you.

On 1/10/07, macournoyer <macou...@gmail.com> wrote:

josh robb

Jan 10, 2007, 1:25:33 PM1/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
> If you were talking about moving the Migrator to contrib. I think not.

I was. It's your project so it's inclusion is entirely up to you.
Personally - I think it would make a really valuable addition to the
Castle Toolset.

From: http://wiki.castleproject.org/index.php/Contrib#Contribution.27s_future

" Contribution's future

If the contribution proves that it's valuable for our users, it might
graduate and go to the main source trunk. The decision is made by the
Castle PMC and under consent of the contribution author. It's likely
that in these cases the author be elected as a committer. "

In this thread - you voted +1000000 for moving the generator (gave
your consent). I'm sure that the PMC are or will be having a
discussion about making you a committer.

If you'd wanted to make that a pre-requisite then you only needed to
mention it and your code would not have been moved until this was
sorted out.

Complaining publicly about this is not the right way to get it sorted.

j.

macournoyer

Jan 10, 2007, 2:42:10 PM1/10/07
to Castle Project Development List
Not at all! I'm sorry for this little "whining".

I'm frustrated for not having enought time to work on this projet and
others and even becoming a commiter. I guess that's the shock of
finishing school and starting in the "real world".

script\generate whining --stupid --net-2.0