MR+++ goals and value prop

hammett

Apr 8, 2011, 3:07:07 PM4/8/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
If there's one thing I've learned at MS is that before writing a
single line of code, you should have a clear view of what you want to
accomplish, the value proposition - if you want people to use it - and
a measure of success. I've put together a small docs on my view to
mr+++

Thoughts?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AkeeJPh8kZQKtnHN3RDR3v-UfG7zt9wCL0jMiualUqI/edit?hl=en&authkey=CN7U99YN

--
Cheers,
hammett

Rafael Teixeira

Apr 8, 2011, 4:35:48 PM4/8/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com, hammett
Looks like a good start... I'll think more about it to throw in some comments/suggestions.

Rafael "Monoman" Teixeira

Krzysztof Koźmic

Apr 8, 2011, 8:12:44 PM4/8/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
It is hard to disagree with those points (value proposition). There's
one (or two) notable absent though, that is conventions and defaults.

I expected the "How does MR+++ help me?" to contain something like:

- I can quickly add features with zero or mimimum "setup" by following
MR+++ conventions and relying on reasonable defaults

Another thing is, for me next gen web-apps more and more means - apps
(vith version) optimized for mobile devices (smartphones, tablets).
Making explicit effort to support that would fit the list well IMO.

All in all - good to have you back :)

Krzysztof

John Simons

Apr 9, 2011, 1:42:45 AM4/9/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
A few more points that I would like to see:
- Awesome doco on how to get started + advanced topics;
- Tools to automate tasks (eg. R# templates, VS integration, ....);
- OWIN integration;
- Conventions+++, please do not force me to inherit from Controller ever ever again!

I'm wondering why bother with "Easy migration from ASP.NET MVC – you can have both co-existing in the same project if you want to" ?

Cheers
John

Apr 9, 2011, 1:44:36 AM4/9/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
I forgot another one!
- Diagnostics galore

Apr 9, 2011, 4:19:06 AM4/9/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
what's wrong with inheriting from Controller?
No need to, there are other ways to discover Controller classes:
- based on name
- an interface
- based on namespace
There are other ways to expose the API a base controller gives us:
- DI a service eg. Redirector or Renderer or Context

I can only have one base class so let me choose it, do not force one on me.

If you get rid of this limitation (having to inherit from Controller) then "controller" becomes irrelevant and all u need is a method(action) to execute :) much simpler IMO.

Cheers, John

hammett

Apr 9, 2011, 1:57:46 PM4/9/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Yep, Diagnostics is freaking important.

> castle-project-d...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/castle-project-devel?hl=en.
>

> --
>

> --

Cheers,
hammett
http://hammett.castleproject.org/

John Simons

Apr 9, 2011, 7:27:48 PM4/9/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
More points:
- identify differences between Asp.net MVC and MR+++, basically why use it?

Cheers, John

hammett

Apr 10, 2011, 6:07:19 PM4/10/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
That's more in the area of competitive analysis, which I dont think
needs to be done. I'm not after MS MVC's users..

John Simons

Apr 10, 2011, 6:55:55 PM4/10/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Not really, I see this more in the area of giving the users the right information to make an adequate decision.

Also, if you are not after MS MVC users then why "Easy migration from ASP.NET MVC – you can have both co-existing in the same project if you want to" ?

Cheers
John

Apr 10, 2011, 9:03:33 PM4/10/11
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com, John Simons
For those who already had investments in ms' version of the framework.
And informed decisions don't come from biased parties...