YUI Compressor for .Net - Is this ok to include in SharedLibs?

John Simons

Aug 16, 2009, 12:39:28 AM8/16/09
to Castle Project Development List
I'm not too sure what are the license issues with redistributing the 2
dlls that are included in this lib - http://yuicompressor.codeplex.com/.

As far as I can gather,
EcmaScript.NET.modified.dll has a BSD License -> http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/license.html
Yahoo.Yui.Compressor.dll has a Ms-PL License -> http://yuicompressor.codeplex.com/license

I've also read, http://yuicompressor.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=44776

What exactly do I need to include to distribute these 2 dlls? Do I
just need to include a license.txt?

Cheers
John

Julian Birch

Aug 16, 2009, 5:29:16 PM8/16/09
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
I ran into the same question with the Microsoft CSL, which is MS-PL as well.  The big question is whether the licences are compatible.  And it's hard to find a straight answer.  You can find out if things are GPL compatible (Apache 2 is) but getting a definitive answer elsewhere is more of a problem.  My armchair lawyer view is that BSD is easy enough to comply with: just include the license.

MS-PL is more of a problem, it's this line right here:  "If you distribute any portion of the software in compiled or object code form, you may only do so under a license that complies with this license."  And then there's no guidance on compatibility.

Julian

Mauricio Scheffer

Aug 16, 2009, 6:58:24 PM8/16/09
to Castle Project Development List
Try contacting yuicompressor's author, maybe he doesn't mind making it
dually-licensed (ms-pl + apache2 or bsd)

Mauricio

On Aug 16, 1:39 am, John Simons <johnsimons...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I'm not too sure what are the license issues with redistributing the 2
> dlls that are included in this lib -http://yuicompressor.codeplex.com/.
>
> As far as I can gather,
> EcmaScript.NET.modified.dll has a BSD License ->http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/license.html
> Yahoo.Yui.Compressor.dll has a Ms-PL License ->  http://yuicompressor.codeplex.com/license
>
> I've also read,http://yuicompressor.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=44776

John Simons

Aug 16, 2009, 7:38:39 PM8/16/09
to Castle Project Development List
Sent email to author about dually-license and I also sent an email to
MS for clarification on "complies with this license"

Cheers
John

On Aug 17, 8:58 am, Mauricio Scheffer <mauricioschef...@gmail.com>

John Simons

Aug 20, 2009, 4:31:09 AM8/20/09
to Castle Project Development List
I thought this one is worth sharing with everyone because it is quite
funny and also hopefully Hamilton reads this :)
Anyway, so I sent an email to MS for clarification on the license
compliance.
I sent the email to http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sharedsource/default.mspx

Here is the email I composed:
"Hi there,

I would like to redistribute a compiled version of Yahoo! UI Library:
YUI Compressor for .Net (http://yuicompressor.codeplex.com), that
according to the web site is licensed under MS-Pl (http://
yuicompressor.codeplex.com/license).
The project I work in is release under the terms of Apache Software
Foundation License 2.0. Please refer to Apache License for a friendly
description.

According to the MS-Pl license "If you distribute any portion of the
software in compiled or object code form, you may only do so under a
license that complies with this license." , the term complies is not
very clear!
Does ASL License complies with MS-Pl license?

Regards
John Simons"

And here is the reply I got today:
"Hello John,

Thank you for contacting the Shared Source Initiative.

Regarding your question about the license compliance, unfortunately,
we cannot provide legal advice. You should contact a lawyer if you
are not certain if a proposed business activity is legal or not.

Regards,
The Shared Source service team"

WTF?!?! So they can't tell me whether ASF license "complies" with
their own license! But my lawyer will!

John