CVSI Colorizer

Jonathon Rossi

May 9, 2007, 4:53:46 AM5/9/07
to Castle Project Development List

I have nearly finished the NVelocity colorizer I have been working on and I thought I’d let everyone see what I have so far. I am sure there is still syntax that I have missed. Once I fix up a few things, mainly errors and support for more than one file open at a time, I’ll upload it so anyone can take it for a test drive.

I’d like to hear anyone’s feedback or suggestions from what you can see in the screenshot:

http://www.jonorossi.com/upload/2007/CVSIColorizer.png

Regards, Jonathon Rossi

Ken Egozi

May 9, 2007, 5:02:32 AM5/9/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
looks supercool.
Almost making me wish I've used NV ...
Hopefully will help increasing the adoption of MR

Freyr Magnússon

May 9, 2007, 5:05:00 AM5/9/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
This is looking mighty fine.  I look forward to using this extension.

Will it be possible to configure color for methods different from the calling object like resharper does by default?

keep up the good work,

regards,
Freyr

Jonathon Rossi

May 9, 2007, 5:47:16 AM5/9/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com

Thanks. Reducing the learning curve of MR is one reason I am doing this.

Regards, Jonathon Rossi

Jonathon Rossi

May 9, 2007, 5:57:42 AM5/9/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, I hope many people will use it.

I will consider making the method names a different colour to the object. Do you have a suggestion as to what colour would look alright?

Regards, Jonathon Rossi

May 9, 2007, 6:09:40 AM5/9/07
to Castle Project Development List
Looks simply wonderful!

freyr.m...@gmail.com

May 9, 2007, 9:04:23 AM5/9/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

ReSharper uses a dark green color for the methods and purple for
variables by default. I guess most would expect the coloring to
follow VS defaults but to be able to customize it to behave like
resharper or some other tool would be brilliant.

regards,
Freyr

Jonathon Rossi

May 9, 2007, 10:33:27 AM5/9/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
I think I'll leave it as it is for now and consider it in the near future
when people start to use it. Getting it supporting all the syntax correctly
is my first priority. However, anymore feedback is welcome even if you don't
think it is very important at the moment.

Regards, Jonathon Rossi

Kevin Miller

May 9, 2007, 7:25:39 PM5/9/07
to Castle Project Development List
I gave a talk on Monorail last weekend that included showing people
how to create views using NVelocity. One of the questions I got was
when if there is support for syntax highlighting or better yet
intellisense. I told them about your effort. Just letting you know
there was a room full of people breathlessly anticipating your
tool. :)

Dru Sellers

May 10, 2007, 12:30:55 AM5/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Wow!

Tim Haines

May 10, 2007, 12:37:02 AM5/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Yeah - I'm looking forward to some of that colorization action.

Jonathon Rossi

May 10, 2007, 5:03:06 AM5/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
That's cool, people want to use it and it isn't even released. You are
advertising what could be a PhotoShopped image ;), jk, it is real. I should
have it out within the next week, then everyone can start carrying on about
unsupported syntax. Unfortunately, intellisense will be a while down the
road.

@Hammett: not sure if you'll see this but would I be able to use the contrib
project in JIRA for everyone to submit bugs.

Regards, Jonathon Rossi

Jonathon Rossi

May 10, 2007, 5:04:38 AM5/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com

It’s nice to see the 2 of you like it too.

Tim, the way you wrote that made me crack up laughing.

Regards, Jonathon Rossi

Yeah - I'm looking forward to some of that colorization action.

Hamilton Verissimo

May 10, 2007, 9:25:27 AM5/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Is it going to be open source?

--
Cheers,
hamilton verissimo

Jonathon Rossi

May 10, 2007, 9:40:57 AM5/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Yes it will be, I would like to put it up on the castle contrib, it would be
pointless keeping it closed source.

However, once I put it on castle contrib anyone can make changes which is a
good thing but it will make it hard for me to document work I have done
since this is my final year uni project. I have noticed with ActiveWriter
that only Gokhan Altinoren applies any patches contributed, would it be
possible to work in the same arrangement. The other reason is that I need to
fulfil the requirements I define in my documentation so I need to be in
control of the project.

Regards, Jonathon Rossi

Hamilton Verissimo

May 10, 2007, 9:39:42 AM5/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Seems fine as long as this model doesn't last forever. It doesn't seem
to fit with the open source spirit. But every project has its
dynamics. I think your project will be fairly complex, so people won't
touch it :-)

Jonathon Rossi

May 10, 2007, 9:52:33 AM5/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Once the project is finished for my uni work I have no problem leaving that
model. I see your point, it is like read-only open source. It sure is
complex, once more VS features are built in later on the VS stuff would be
hard for most developers to understand. However, since I have built a new
NVelocity scanner and will build a parser soon the project could be used to
replace the current NVelocity. It could be used to build new features since
the current codebase is very hard to change. I was even considering building
a compiler so NVelocity is more like Brail.

Hamilton Verissimo

May 10, 2007, 9:53:08 AM5/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Wow! Interesting!

Gökhan Altınören

May 10, 2007, 9:53:41 AM5/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
I think any committer in contrib can update any project in it (not 100% sure). Ayende, for example, sent a patch to me rather than applying. Other patches I get were from people outside of castle project. So people are kind to keep you in the middle and noticed.

Hamilton Verissimo

May 10, 2007, 10:03:16 AM5/10/07
On 5/10/07, Gökhan Altınören <gok...@altinoren.com> wrote:
> I think any committer in contrib can update any project in it (not 100%
> sure).

That is correct.

Jonathon Rossi

May 10, 2007, 10:22:40 AM5/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
I'll just have to watch for people committing into that directory, it won't
be the end of the world. However, I doubt anyone unfamiliar with the code
base would just commit anything anyway.

Regards, Jonathon Rossi

Jonathon Rossi

May 10, 2007, 10:24:32 AM5/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. So I assume you like the idea of an NVelocity compiler. I'll discuss
what I had planed at a later date when the parser is done. It will be good
to be able to add new syntax.

craiggwilson

May 10, 2007, 10:48:07 AM5/10/07
to Castle Project Development List
Are you building the scanner/parser by hand? I recently found
CSharpCC, a (semi)port of JavaCC that acts kinda like antlr or some
other compiler compiler, except there are no external dependencies
like antlr requires.. Anyhow, it only applies to an LL(k) grammar, as
opposed to an LALR, but since Velocity uses JavaCC, it would seem that
the velocity template language is an LL(k) grammar anyhow.
Regardless, just thought it might be helpful.

On May 10, 9:24 am, "Jonathon Rossi" <j...@jonorossi.com> wrote:
> Thanks. So I assume you like the idea of an NVelocity compiler. I'll discuss
> what I had planed at a later date when the parser is done. It will be good
> to be able to add new syntax.
>
> Regards, Jonathon Rossi

Jonathon Rossi

May 10, 2007, 11:07:35 AM5/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that info.

Since the scanner I built scans XHTML as well, it is pretty complex so I
didn't have much choice then to write it by hand. I also needed a line
scanner for VS which I have built into the same scanner.

I haven't decided if I will build the parser by hand or use a tool, I was
considering using GPPG, it was written by my project's supervisor so I can
complain to him if there is problems. One reason I was considering hand
writing it is that the parser should understand XHTML so that I can build
intellisense for XHTML, but also be able to disable the XHTML parser part if
the parser is used for execution.

Regards, Jonathon Rossi

Kunle Odutola

May 10, 2007, 12:52:24 PM5/10/07
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Private branch?.

Kunle

PS You might want to look at svk if Contrib and "private branch" don't
mix.

PPS You can add my "Wow!" to your growing list. ;-)

Stuart Carnie

May 11, 2007, 5:58:38 PM5/11/07
to Castle Project Development List
Interesting - I am considering rewriting NVelocity's parser as a side
project. My preference is also GPPG. We are using NVelocity as our
template engine for a commercial project, and I'm terribly disturbed
by the JavaCC implementation. Specifically the use of exceptions to
communicate state of the byte stream, rather than a simple Eof
property. One of our templates generates over 8000 exceptions, so it
is horribly slow and even worse in the debugger.

Perhaps there is some possibility of collaboration; however I notice
you are doing it for a uni project and will also be integrating HTML
parsing, which is not appropriate at the NVelocity engine level.
Perhaps we have share some initial translation of the NV grammar.

Cheers,

Stu

Sean Chambers

May 15, 2007, 8:37:33 PM5/15/07
to Castle Project Development List
Jonathan,

This is great! I was just thinking to myself today how great it would
be to have syntax highlighting.

Can't wait!

> > > hamm...@castlestronghold.comhttp://www.castlestronghold.com/- Hide quoted text -

Jonathon Rossi