MongoMapper support is out.

jnicklas

Jun 19, 2010, 8:52:23 AM6/19/10
to carrierwave
Hi all,

So I recently received a couple of pull requests from people wanting
support for the latest versions of MongoMapper. I've been putting this
off because I've been dreading it. Every once in a while MongoMapper
changes something about the library and it ends in me sitting for ours
poring over their non-existant documentation (i.e. the source code)
trying to figure out what the hell is wrong.

I've had enough of this.

Mongoid is a fantastic alternative, if people want to use Mongo,
that's what I'd recommend. If someone wants to host a separate
carrierwave-mongomapper project or something, please be my guest. I
just no longer want to be responsible for maintaining this mess.

I hope you all understand that my time is limited and not maintaining
MongoMapper support is going to lead to me producing more awesome
features (hopefully).

Sorry to everyone I'm inconveniencing by this.

/Jonas

Geoff Longman

Jun 19, 2010, 1:48:52 PM6/19/10
to carri...@googlegroups.com
Jonas,

Thanks for the work you've done, and will do, with CW.

Hard choice. I've been in the same boat in the past and understand completely.

Geoff

Ryan Angilly

Jun 23, 2010, 10:03:19 AM6/23/10
to carrierwave
Hey there,

Since you've already put some work into this, wouldn't it make sense
to at least keep all that work in the releases and lock down the
required version of MongoMapper? If people want CarrierWave to
support newer versions of MM, they (me :) ) can supply the patches.
Seems counterproductive to rip out all the work you already did.

$0.02.

-Ryan

Jonas Nicklas

Jun 23, 2010, 11:44:20 AM6/23/10
to carri...@googlegroups.com
The problem was that the tests were failing, I had patches I wanted to
commit and couldn't run the suite. In that situation I can't wait for
someone else to come along and be kind enough to fix the tests. I
received three or four patches for the latest MM version, none of them
worked.

Let's also just put "All the work" in perspective, the MM adapter was
something like 20 lines of code. It wasn't exactly complicated.

/Jonas

Samuel Lown

Jun 23, 2010, 12:11:00 PM6/23/10
to carri...@googlegroups.com
I'd vote for a separate plugin/gem, something like "carrierwave_orm_mongomapper". This way its easy to set the dependencies inside the gem, and its easier to handle in Rails 3/Bundler.

If I manage to get round to creating a link to couchrest_model, this is probably what I'd try to do first.

¿Any foreseeable problems with this approach?

Cheers,
sam

Jonas Nicklas

Jun 23, 2010, 5:21:50 PM6/23/10
to carri...@googlegroups.com
No, that's exactly the right approach, imho.

/Jonas