The Derbyshire Saga

K.M. Mennie

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
[ Article crossposted from alt.fan.kia-mennie ]
[ Author was Chris Evans ]
[ Posted on Wed, 7 Feb 1996 18:39:04 GMT ]

Ok, kids... here's the voice from the cheap seats, on the Derbyshire Saga
(tm).

Now, having read about young Paul (the short, whiny, irritating, psychotic
child that he is) having been dragged from a lab by "the man", I can only
assume that this little story occurred a) yesterday, and b) in the Steacie
building.

The coincidence of two such occurrences cropping up in the same day "here
in the trailer park" would be just too far out to contemplate.

It would seem, then, that young Paul Derbyshire is taking first year
chemistry. As an aside, I'll note that this isn't his first little
"fling" with the department. Shortly before Christmas, the undergrads had
their lab techniques exam. Paul, to whom we can add "clumsy" as one of
his many ignoble traits, couldn't perform under pressure (begging the
question...). Long story short: He flipped... lost it completely.
Started swearing first at the proctors, then at the lab supervisor, and
lastly, after having been ejected from the lab, lashed out at the
department Chair. (Oh, yes, cursing, swearing, threatening, the whole
nine yards.)

Btw, this goes partly to the issue of "why didn't the TA in question
squash Mr. Derbyshire like a bug?". Since the repercussions could've been
significant.

In any event: Yesterday, Paul spilled something in the lab. He refused
to clean it up. (I believe his exact words were "I am not a human mop.".
He kept asking other students to clean up his mess, and became obstinate
when pushed to take care it himself. When he started screaming and
ranting, the lab supervisor called security on him.

The fellow who responded is a human mountain named Al. Really nice guy.
Anyway, Paul was standing at the sink with a corrosive solution in a
flask, and refused to leave. "I'm busy, can you come back when I'm not so
busy" is the purported comment he made. Al refused to apprehend him until
the chemicals were secured, so, with security and the lab supervisor
watching, Paul returned to his bench, and continued his experiment. This
involved clamping the offending flask, at which time Al moved in for the
kill (so to speak).

Paul struggled, and managed to punch Al in the face (knocking off his
hat!). Al became... vexed, shall we say, and grabbed Paul by the neck in
a sort of headlock. (If you can imagine tiny Paul hanging, feet kicking,
whilst Al lifts him from behind with one arm around the neck you have the
proper picture.) Al then removed him from the lab, put him on the ground,
and proceeded to cuff him. (Paul: "what are you doing!?")

Al calls for backup at some point. Al: "540, this is 8, I need backup for
a..." etc. Paul: "Talking in police code doesn't make you any better
than me."

Note: All Paul comments were in a Sam Kinison-like screech at this point.

Campus security backup arrives, as to the "real cops". They mention to
Paul that he's going "downtown" where he will be their guest for "a long
time". As he is being dragged out of the building, Paul is screaming
"What do you mean 'a long time'? I have things to do tonight!"

Well... sorry if my prose isn't the greatest. The story is much better
with voice-over, and particularly when you know all the people involved.
(except Paul, of course). I heard it first hand from a guy in my lab who
witnessed the whole event, btw. He does great Sam Kinison impersonations.

I hear Paul is now the proud owner of a "No Trespass" restraining order
to keep him from the premises of Carleton University.

Semper Inquirens (thx, Corey)

mL

Michelle Spiteri

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
> I hear Paul is now the proud owner of a "No Trespass" restraining order
> to keep him from the premises of Carleton University.

For how long?

nicole dunbar

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
Thus proving that the Pod People ARE everywhere.

I'm too chicken-shit and lazy to think for myself, and I want my
children to have that comfort too. Just let mail-order religion tell me
how to raise my kids, but when they leave the house they come back with
ALL THESE QUESTIONS. What's a concerned parent to do? The answer is
obvious. BAN EVERYTHING. ---Jello Biafra

Julie Richard

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
K.M. Mennie (kme...@superior.carleton.ca) wrote:
> [ Article crossposted from alt.fan.kia-mennie ]
> [ Author was Chris Evans ]
> [ Posted on Wed, 7 Feb 1996 18:39:04 GMT ]

> Ok, kids... here's the voice from the cheap seats, on the Derbyshire Saga
> (tm).

> Now, having read about young Paul (the short, whiny, irritating, psychotic
> child that he is) having been dragged from a lab by "the man", I can only
> assume that this little story occurred a) yesterday, and b) in the Steacie
> building.

First thing, Paul is not psychotic. I too am in first year science,
and as far as I know, bizarre querks aside, his intention was never
to harm anyone.
While Paul was one of the more unique individuals I have yet to
encounter, he was also one of the more brilliant.
Paul obviously had problems interacting, but if any of you
every emailed him, I guarantee you would never have known.
It is important to note, too, that while Paul did attack "Al",
this was not unprovoked. I have worked with several people
who for various psychological reasons, will go bezerk when touched.
A hand on the shoulder to Paul might be equivalent to a blow to
the stomach to us.
While it may be in the best interest of the majority of students
to have Paul removed, it must also be seen as a loss of a potentially
brilliant scientist, who may never receive a post-high school
education for a condition he was born with.
This raises the question of whether or not we are doing enough
to accomodate for those who are highly intelligent, yet who
cannot inherently interact like the rest of us, whether it be
someone with attention deficit disorder, Tourette's Syndrome,
or Paul. Could these be considered disabilities warranting
accomodation. How tolerant should universities be?
These are questions that I still have difficulty answering,
and would like responses from students and professors alike.

Julie Richard --You know, the more times
Integrated Sciences I you run over a cat, the
Carleton University flatter it gets.--
Email address: jric...@chat.carleton.ca

Jamie LaBrash

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Chris Bark (cb...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> Colin MacArthur (cmac...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> > Does the name Valerie Fabrikant (sp.) ring a bell? Social skills, such
> > as patience, accommodation and cooperativeness, are just as important as
> > education and training.

> No, who's she?

HE was the mass murderer from the Montreal Massacre at Concordia.

*--------------...@chat.carleton.ca--------------------*
Help me bring back the ultimate food! Go to Ben & Jerry's
Flavour Graveyard at http://www.benjerry.com/graveyard and ask
For the return of Chocolate Raspberry Swirl Frozen Yogurt!
*--------------http://www.eng.carleton.ca/chat/~jlabrash----------*

Jamie LaBrash

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Julie Richard (jric...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> K.M. Mennie (kme...@superior.carleton.ca) wrote:
> > [ Article crossposted from alt.fan.kia-mennie ]
> > [ Author was Chris Evans ]
> > [ Posted on Wed, 7 Feb 1996 18:39:04 GMT ]

> First thing, Paul is not psychotic. I too am in first year science,

> and as far as I know, bizarre querks aside, his intention was never
> to harm anyone.

Are you qualified to state that he is not psychotic?

> While Paul was one of the more unique individuals I have yet to
> encounter, he was also one of the more brilliant.
> Paul obviously had problems interacting, but if any of you
> every emailed him, I guarantee you would never have known.
> It is important to note, too, that while Paul did attack "Al",
> this was not unprovoked. I have worked with several people
> who for various psychological reasons, will go bezerk when touched.
> A hand on the shoulder to Paul might be equivalent to a blow to
> the stomach to us.
> While it may be in the best interest of the majority of students
> to have Paul removed, it must also be seen as a loss of a potentially
> brilliant scientist, who may never receive a post-high school
> education for a condition he was born with.
> This raises the question of whether or not we are doing enough
> to accomodate for those who are highly intelligent, yet who
> cannot inherently interact like the rest of us, whether it be
> someone with attention deficit disorder, Tourette's Syndrome,
> or Paul. Could these be considered disabilities warranting
> accomodation. How tolerant should universities be?
> These are questions that I still have difficulty answering,
> and would like responses from students and professors alike.

They should be accomodated up to the point that they interfere with the
ability for other students to learn as well. Paul clearly makes it more
difficult for other students to learn. And I do not believe that Paul has
made any attempt to receive accomodations.

Chris Bark

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Jamie LaBrash (jlab...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> Chris Bark (cb...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> > Colin MacArthur (cmac...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> > > Does the name Valerie Fabrikant (sp.) ring a bell? Social skills, such
> > > as patience, accommodation and cooperativeness, are just as important as
> > > education and training.

> > No, who's she?

> HE was the mass murderer from the Montreal Massacre at Concordia.

Thanks, I remember him now(Sorry I'm senile and bad with names)

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Christopher Bark o Where's Waldo??? o
Carleton University scoobyoocatinhatdoowlokilloodooo
oowoooooowoldaoooaaooowooooloooo
Email address: cb...@chat.carleton.ca ooozoooodoohohoholoaoonothereooo
heeheeheeaoohelldoowooooolowoooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Colin MacArthur

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Julie Richard (jric...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> While it may be in the best interest of the majority of students
> to have Paul removed, it must also be seen as a loss of a potentially
> brilliant scientist, who may never receive a post-high school
> education for a condition he was born with.
> This raises the question of whether or not we are doing enough
> to accomodate for those who are highly intelligent, yet who
> cannot inherently interact like the rest of us, whether it be
> someone with attention deficit disorder, Tourette's Syndrome,
> or Paul. Could these be considered disabilities warranting
> accomodation. How tolerant should universities be?
> These are questions that I still have difficulty answering,
> and would like responses from students and professors alike.

Does the name Valerie Fabrikant (sp.) ring a bell? Social skills, such

as patience, accommodation and cooperativeness, are just as important as
education and training.

Colin

Colin G. MacArthur " And the poets down here
Carleton University don't write nothing at all,
Ottawa, Ontario they just stand back,
Canada and let it all be."
E-mail: cmac...@wabakimi.carleton.ca Bruce Springsteen "Jungleland"
http://wabakimi.carleton.ca/~cmacarth

Chris Bark

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Colin MacArthur (cmac...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> Does the name Valerie Fabrikant (sp.) ring a bell? Social skills, such
> as patience, accommodation and cooperativeness, are just as important as
> education and training.

No, who's she?

Mike Hirst

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Julie Richard (jric...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> K.M. Mennie (kme...@superior.carleton.ca) wrote:
> > [ Article crossposted from alt.fan.kia-mennie ]
> > [ Author was Chris Evans ]
> > [ Posted on Wed, 7 Feb 1996 18:39:04 GMT ]

> > Ok, kids... here's the voice from the cheap seats, on the Derbyshire Saga
> > (tm).

> > Now, having read about young Paul (the short, whiny, irritating, psychotic
> > child that he is) having been dragged from a lab by "the man", I can only
> > assume that this little story occurred a) yesterday, and b) in the Steacie
> > building.

> First thing, Paul is not psychotic. I too am in first year science,

> and as far as I know, bizarre querks aside, his intention was never
> to harm anyone.

> While Paul was one of the more unique individuals I have yet to
> encounter, he was also one of the more brilliant.
> Paul obviously had problems interacting, but if any of you
> every emailed him, I guarantee you would never have known.
> It is important to note, too, that while Paul did attack "Al",
> this was not unprovoked. I have worked with several people
> who for various psychological reasons, will go bezerk when touched.
> A hand on the shoulder to Paul might be equivalent to a blow to
> the stomach to us.

> While it may be in the best interest of the majority of students
> to have Paul removed, it must also be seen as a loss of a potentially
> brilliant scientist, who may never receive a post-high school
> education for a condition he was born with.
> This raises the question of whether or not we are doing enough
> to accomodate for those who are highly intelligent, yet who
> cannot inherently interact like the rest of us, whether it be
> someone with attention deficit disorder, Tourette's Syndrome,
> or Paul. Could these be considered disabilities warranting
> accomodation. How tolerant should universities be?
> These are questions that I still have difficulty answering,
> and would like responses from students and professors alike.

> Julie Richard --You know, the more times
> Integrated Sciences I you run over a cat, the
> Carleton University flatter it gets.--
> Email address: jric...@chat.carleton.ca

Shame shame double shame now I know your boyfreinds name....

Peace be the Journey

Mike Hirst
Carleton University

Email address: mhi...@chat.carleton.ca

Andre Bouchard

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Chris Bark (cb...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> Jamie LaBrash (jlab...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> > Chris Bark (cb...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> > > Colin MacArthur (cmac...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> Does the name Valerie Fabrikant (sp.) ring a bell? Social skills, such
> as patience, accommodation and cooperativeness, are just as important as

> > > No, who's she?

> > HE was the mass murderer from the Montreal Massacre at Concordia.

I thought that was Marc Lapine, or something like that.

Andre Bouchard | (o< PINGU _o) |
Carleton University | //\ ON //\ |
Environmental Science I | V_/_ TVO V_/_ |
Email address: abou...@chat.carleton.ca |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^|

Jamie LaBrash

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
Andre Bouchard (abou...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> Chris Bark (cb...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> > Jamie LaBrash (jlab...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> > Does the name Valerie Fabrikant (sp.) ring a bell? Social skills, such
> > as patience, accommodation and cooperativeness, are just as important as

> > > HE was the mass murderer from the Montreal Massacre at Concordia.

> I thought that was Marc Lapine, or something like that.

Silly me. That WAS Marc Lapine but Fabrikant was another guy who went loony
at a Montreal university except he was a prof and was bitter at everyone
while Lapine was bitter at women.

*---X----X----X...@chat.carleton.ca--X----X----X----X--*
"I don't need luck! I need beer!!!"
-The Sandman
*---X----X---http://www.eng.carleton.ca/chat/~jlabrash---X-----X--*

Eben Watt

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96

Someone wrote:
> > > HE was the mass murderer from the Montreal Massacre at Concordia.

> I thought that was Marc Lapine, or something like that.

Marc Lepine - Student at Montreal Polytechnic (sp?) Institute: killed 14
women
Valerie Fabrikant - Professor of Engineering at Concordia University:
killed 3 professors I think

---
Eben Watt | "In the midst of winter, I finally
Carleton University | learned that there was in me an
Ottawa, ON | invincible summer." Albert Camus

Brian Publicover

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
Julie Richard (jric...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> K.M. Mennie (kme...@superior.carleton.ca) wrote:
> > [ Article crossposted from alt.fan.kia-mennie ]
> > [ Author was Chris Evans ]
> > [ Posted on Wed, 7 Feb 1996 18:39:04 GMT ]

> First thing, Paul is not psychotic. I too am in first year science,

> and as far as I know, bizarre querks aside, his intention was never
> to harm anyone.

I remember in grade 8 Paul once threw a chair at my head because I
suggested that he liked girls (he used to hate females when he was younger).
This was not an isolated incident: I've seen him attack many people. I
don't think he's dangerous (unless he is holding corrosive chemicals), but
I'd hardly call these incidents "bizarre quirks." I'll shut up, because I
don't want to slag Paul...I merely wished to point out the inaccuracies of
Julie's statement....
[---------------------------------]
[ Brian Publicover ] My Canada includes
[ Mass Communications ] the Yukon...and parts [
[ Carleton University ] of southern Manitoba...
[ bpub...@chat.carleton.ca ]
[---------------------------------]

AJ Dingledine

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96
Jamie LaBrash (jlab...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> Julie Richard (jric...@chat.carleton.ca) wrote:
> > K.M. Mennie (kme...@superior.carleton.ca) wrote:
> > > [ Article crossposted from alt.fan.kia-mennie ]
> > > [ Author was Chris Evans ]
> > > [ Posted on Wed, 7 Feb 1996 18:39:04 GMT ]

> > First thing, Paul is not psychotic. I too am in first year science,
> > and as far as I know, bizarre querks aside, his intention was never
> > to harm anyone.

> Are you qualified to state that he is not psychotic?

He certainly seems that way to me... and if he's not, he is highly weird,
ans suffers from delusions of prosecution. He also doesn't seem to be able
to admit that he could be wrong (ie the whole phone line discussion with
Andrew Metcalfe and numerous other instances). Brilliant, yes. But he has
a number of wires crossed or altogether missing up there.
A line must be drawn when he interferes with other students'
learning, I agree, and Paul has finally crossed it. Too bad, because he
really could go places if he'd get his interactions adjusted.

+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+
AJ Dingledine
Enviro. Eng. II and counting...
Carleton University
Email address: adin...@chat.carleton.ca
^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^
Deep thought: What in heaven's name am I DOING??!?
-Wile E. Coyote
+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+^+

Aaron Merifield

Mar 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/2/96
K.M. Mennie (kme...@superior.carleton.ca) wrote:

> Ok, kids... here's the voice from the cheap seats, on the Derbyshire Saga
> (tm).

Hrmm.. is the the same paul guy that is always posting hundreds of posts
on all these carleton newsgroups? If it is, should we assume he is still
at carleton since he still has his chat account?

PS: I wish i saw this.. You see alot of strange things happen in Physics
classes, but ive never seen something like that happen.. hehe.

Aaron Merifield
Carleton University
Graduated spring-95, B.Sc. Physics.
Department of Computer Mathematics, 3rd yr.
E-MAIL: Amer...@chat.carleton.ca
WEB-PAGE: http://chat.carleton.ca/~amerifie (re-doing it!)