Feedback request on presentation

Kenneth Kalmer

May 28, 2008, 7:52:30 PM5/28/08
to capis...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

I've got the privilege of giving a presentation on Thursday night (19:00 GMT +2) at Tshwane University of Technology on Capistrano, and TDD/BDD. Two different topics, two different presentations.

I've attached the Cap presentation (hoping it gets through), and would like to solicit some feedback from everyone.

The target audience can be briefly summed up like this:
 - Final year students
 - One semester exposure to Rails
 - Already had lectures on Capistrano, I bring in some real world examples
 - Heavy PHP background, and PHP biased (based on my earlier interactions with the students)
 - Limited Linux exposure

The presenter can be summed up like this:
 - Loves digging in the cap source for answers, and not Google
 - Uses cap for everything except making coffee (albeit getting there...)
 - Have been using it so long I don't even know what the basic struggles are for new users anymore
 - Has one project that takes 40 minutes to deploy on 4 production servers (don't ask, its a rather unfortunate serious of events that have to be completed on deployment)

My goal is to get them excited. The presentation is very small, but I made some custom text movies using Jamis's TextMovie class from the RailsConf 2007 presentation to show them how a deployment looks across 4 servers, how to console, download logs, rake, etc... Also showing them some other neat tricks around system commands across multiple servers.

My focus is not on Rails but on Capistrano, although Rails is used in the presentation extensively. I'll be discussing PHP deployments with them as well, and options for deploying other projects to various mediums (so to speak). For most of the later part of the session I'll be getting them to drive the questions and I'll answer by example.

Presentation will be going up on my blog as well, together with some feedback from the students.

Thanks in advance

--
Kenneth Kalmer
kenneth...@gmail.com

john

May 29, 2008, 9:29:22 AM5/29/08
to Capistrano
Hi Kenneth,
I read your presentation. I think it is a great introduction to
capistrano and I hope it gets them excited!

best regards,
John

On May 29, 12:52 am, "Kenneth Kalmer" <kenneth.kal...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> kenneth.kal...@gmail.comhttp://opensourcery.co.za
>
> 20080529 - Capistrano.pdf
> 144KDownload

Kenneth Kalmer

Jul 6, 2008, 1:30:56 PM7/6/08
to capis...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

It totally slipped my mind, but I finally posted the presentation to my blog at http://www.opensourcery.co.za/ (end of shameless self promotion).

Thanks to John and Nathan for their feedback.

Best