Got a login BOX !!!!! need help with the CSS

activ8

Mar 10, 2012, 12:47:28 PM3/10/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Ok... many hours of tweaking and command line wrangling have produced a limping system... so I can login
but the CSS looks like hell...  need help with that. pretty please

A c t i v 8

Charles Wood

Mar 10, 2012, 1:04:14 PM3/10/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
There's a rake task to compile the CSS. Just do a 'rake -T' from the command line. You should be able to tell which it is. It's assets:… something.

Run rake <that task> from the command line and it'll compile your assets.

Thanks,
Chuck

Charles Max Wood
Video and Audio Show Host - TeachMeToCode.com
Ruby and Ruby on Rails Developer

Teach Me To Code Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/teachmetocode

activ8

Mar 10, 2012, 4:08:57 PM3/10/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
I had already done that

 $GEM_HOME/bin/bundle exec rake canvas:compile_assets

Roman Visintine

Mar 10, 2012, 5:08:35 PM3/10/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Is public/assets/common.css 0 bytes in length?  We've been seeing issues where this isn't compiled correctly.  What worked for us was to blow away the assets dir and recompile.  You may see errors with config/localization_assets.yml too.  Just blow that away of needed, it'll be regened when you run the compile rake.

--Roman

Christopher Bennell

Mar 12, 2012, 9:22:13 AM3/12/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Try

RAILS_ENV=production $GEM_HOME/bin/bundle exec rake canvas:compile_assets

Chris

Mar 12, 2012, 11:11:45 AM3/12/12
to Canvas LMS Users
Yep I tried Roman's solution (delete assets folder and recompiled) but
still got a common.css file of 0 bytes. Also didn't have a config/
localization_assets.yml file at all!

Does the SASS error (Sass::Compiler#on_updating_stylesheet callback is
deprecated and will be removed in a future release......) have
anything to do with this?

Still searching for a solution.

Chris

On Mar 10, 10:08 pm, Roman Visintine <ro...@visintine.com> wrote:
> Is public/assets/common.css 0 bytes in length?  We've been seeing issues where this isn't compiled correctly.  What worked for us was to blow away the assets dir and recompile.  You may see errors with config/localization_assets.yml too.  Just blow that away of needed, it'll be regened when you run the compile rake.
>
> --Roman

activ8

Mar 12, 2012, 12:45:03 PM3/12/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
I'm in the same boat...... no CSS but do get the assets in the canvas public folder.

activ8

Mar 12, 2012, 12:48:38 PM3/12/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
my  public/assets/common.css 0 bytes in length      indeed is zero length...   did re-compile

activ8

Mar 12, 2012, 1:17:37 PM3/12/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
this is in the error log

Sass::Compiler#on_updated_stylesheet callback is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. Use
Sass::Compiler#on_updated_stylesheet instead, which is run after stylesheet compilation

Clear as a bell right ?

boone72315

Mar 12, 2012, 3:29:49 PM3/12/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Can someone just share a copy of this file. So we can see if this fixes the Problem.

activ8

Mar 12, 2012, 3:58:43 PM3/12/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Here you go Boone... !    that has worked here...

On Saturday, March 10, 2012 11:47:28 AM UTC-6, activ8 wrote:
common.css

Chris

Mar 13, 2012, 5:30:50 AM3/13/12
to Canvas LMS Users
Hi All,

I seem to be missing a SASS or SCSS file from the app/stylesheets
directory so this is not compiled by compass into the public/
stylesheets/compiled directory. It is then called up by jammit in the
assets.yml file under ":common". The missing file is "public/
stylesheets/static/jquery-ui-theme.css". All this takes place in the
rake compile_assets step. I tried deleting the line calling for it in
the assets.yml file but still got a 0 byte common.css file.

Could this have been a problem with my original github download a few
days ago?

Chris
>  common.css
> 197KViewDownload

chris....@yahoo.com

Mar 13, 2012, 6:24:57 AM3/13/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Oops... sorry just noted that the jquery-ui-theme.css was in the stylesheets/static folder.  IGNORE THE LAST POST FROM ME!

Apologies

Chris

chris....@yahoo.com

Mar 13, 2012, 8:32:16 AM3/13/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Swapping out that file worked for me and the production site looks great.

But I still don't understand why the rake compile_assets step did not link the css assets together into common.css - any ideas anyone?

It worked for the other css files. I suspect the Jammit step but don't know how to debug it.

Cheers

Chris

activ8

Mar 21, 2012, 7:09:34 PM3/21/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
well I have no idea why the common.css is empty, but 5 out of 5 installs it stayed empty

Trương Hoàng Dũng

Apr 7, 2012, 12:12:36 AM4/7/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
This is really very BAD for us. We all got this error, anyone please help ?

mili...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2012, 6:35:37 AM4/9/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
What broken here is the CSS compressor of Jammit (I am pretty sure about this). I will post my solution if I can solve this issue.

Schwermer

Jul 13, 2012, 12:21:20 PM7/13/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
This is still an issue for me with the latest stable off Github.  Any progress?

Peter Zingg

Aug 15, 2012, 11:40:53 AM8/15/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com, mili...@gmail.com
Still a problem for me.  Running Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS. Are there Jammit dependencies that might be broken on different ruby versions or other platforms?

mili...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2012, 1:47:24 PM8/15/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com
Just try to replace your YUI Compressor jar (with a newer version) in your jammit gem.
I think that's how I solved that issue (not 100% sure since it's months ago). It is not caused by jammit itself.

Hope this helps.

mili...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2012, 1:50:33 PM8/15/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com, mili...@gmail.com
Sorry, there is a mistake in last post.

There is a ruby gem called yui-compressor, which is a wrapper of the Java yui-compressor.
Replace the yui compressor jar in that gem.

在 2012年8月15日星期三UTC-4下午1时47分24秒,mili...@gmail.com写道:

elliot...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2012, 1:49:42 PM9/25/12
to canvas-l...@googlegroups.com, josh.sc...@gmail.com
Just did an upgrade that broke common.css again.  Can someone post a newer copy of their common.css file?
Anyone know the process used to generate that particular file?  I'm happy to try to troubleshoot why it didn't work, but the rake script is no longer generating any errors for me, just a common.css of zero bytes.

:/var/rails/canvas# $GEM_HOME/bin/bundle exec rake canvas:compile_assets
--> Compiling static assets [css]
  warning Webkit only supports pixels for the start and end stops for radial gradients. Got: 100%
--> Compiling static assets [jammit]
--> Compiled static assets [css/jammit]
--> Compiling static assets [javascript]
--> Pre-compiling handlebars templates
--> Compiling CoffeeScript with coffee-script gem
--> Compiling CoffeeScript finished in 16.034029006958
--> Pre-compiling handlebars templates finished in 17.4323580265045
--> Generating js localization bundles
--> Optimizing JavaScript [r.js]
--> Optimizing canvas-lms
--> Optimized canvas-lms in 63.2879459857941
--> Generating documentation [yardoc]
Files:          38
Modules:         0 (    0 undocumented)
Classes:        38 (   14 undocumented)
Constants:       0 (    0 undocumented)
Methods:       158 (    1 undocumented)
 92.35% documented
API Documentation successfully generated in public/doc/api
See public/doc/api/index.html