Firearms why carry them?

Kerry Delf

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98
to tree

[posted and cc'd]

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, tree wrote:

> The simple solution just don't make them. Then not even the criminals
> will have them. But that's the crux of the problem isn't it people like
> them just a little too much. especially if their feeling rather put out,
> what better way to blow off steam than to blow off that irritating
> nieghbours head.

Are you insane, or just stupid?

"Well, gosh, if we just stopped mass manufacture right now, not even the
CRIMINALS would have guns!"

(A) There are billions of firearms extant in the world today. How do you
propose to get rid of them?

(B) How in hell do you propose to get *criminals* -- who, by definition,
are not too concerned about breaking the law -- to turn in their guns?

(C) How do you propose to deal with the problem of individual manufacture
(a study conducted to find where guns in New York City, which has a
severe gun ban, found that...er...I believe it was 25% of all guns
used in crimes in the city were *homemade*)?

(D) What's your solution to the problem of international aggression? If
the Canadians, for example, turn in all their guns (you're virtually
there already), but...well, say, Quebec does not, and the government
and residents of Quebec are hostile towards the rest of Canada, and
want some of your resources -- what are you going to do? Send out a
fucking army of kickboxers?

(E) As a Canadian, I'm sure you don't give a damn about American rights.
But the undeniable fact is that *WE* have the inalienable right to
keep and bear arms -- and for some reason, our people seem to be less
likely than some other to roll over, bare our bellies, and play dead
when legislators start carving away at our rights. We don't do
turn-ins. (I believe it was in Australia that the sale of 5" PVC pipe
skyrocketed immediately before and after a major gun ban. We would
see the same response, only exacerbated, in this country -- if it ever
managed to get to this point.)

Do you simply have no respect for individual rights?

You see, "Tree," the "Simple Solution (tm)" very rarely is. Keep that in
mind before making an ass of yourself the next time.

> tree....

K.Delf

<kd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu>

--
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better
than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask

Malcolm Baron

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

> The army (*both* guys!), pinhead! Was this the most intelligent
> "argument" you could come up with, or did you have to think about it?

Do you want to live in a ountry where only the government has access to
firearms? I sure don't! More people die at the hands of there own
governments than do at the hands of invading armies.

Never trust a government that you can't shoot back at.

tree

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Malcolm Baron wrote:

Well I'll be damned there is a real paranoia thing going on here isn't
there. Sorry I didn't see it at first. Actually most armed coups just put
the same policies but with a different face in the government, not very
progressive if you ask me.

tree...

tree

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Vampire wrote:

> cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote in message
> >: But the undeniable fact is that *WE* have the inalienable right to
> >: keep and bear arms
> >
> >*If* you're part of a regulated militia -- better read your own
> >documents, floppo.
> why is it the Canadians think they know what is in the constitution,
> just me causing trouble again and loving it :)

It's part of our grade 9-10 social studies courses or at least it was
when I was attending grade school.

tree...

Mr. Scratch

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

On 31 Mar 1998 cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote:

> Kerry Delf (kd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu) wrote:
>
> : (D) What's your solution to the problem of international aggression? If

> : the Canadians, for example, turn in all their guns (you're virtually
> : there already), but...well, say, Quebec does not, and the government
> : and residents of Quebec are hostile towards the rest of Canada, and
> : want some of your resources -- what are you going to do? Send out a
> : fucking army of kickboxers?
>

> The army (*both* guys!), pinhead! Was this the most intelligent
> "argument" you could come up with, or did you have to think about it?

Your answer seems to make no sense whatsoever. You seem to have missed
the point altogether...and you accuse /Kerry/ of being a "pinhead"?

> : But the undeniable fact is that *WE* have the inalienable right to
> : keep and bear arms
>
> *If* you're part of a regulated militia -- better read your own
> documents, floppo.

I have read it. Lets go over the relevant article, point by point, shall
we?

"Amendment II: A well-regulated Militia being necessary for the security
of of a Free State, the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms shall
not be infringed."

It does not say anywhere that citizens must be part of the militia to own
guns, though indeed, all male citizens above the age of 17 are
automatically members of the militia. What it says is that it must
remain possible for a well-regulated (meaning "standardized) militia to be
formed, in case there is a threat to the freedom of the state. The effect
can be examined from a better perspective if you switch the subject of the
text from "guns" to "books". Example...

"A well-educated legislature being necessary for the security of a Free
State, the right of the People to Keep and Read Books shall not be
infringed."

You wouldn't interpret this to mean that people could only read books if
they were members of the legislature, would you? If you did, you would
likely not have an educated legislature at all.

Furthermore, you will note the word "People" appears into the text of the
2nd Amendment. You do know who "the People" are, aren't you? Well,
common sense (as well as the Supreme Court) tell me that "the People" are
the common citizenry.

The 2nd Amendment says "the Right of the PEOPLE to Keep and Bear Arms
SHALL NOT be infringed.

Mouth these words for me...

"The PEOPLE"

"The RIGHT to Keep and Bear ARMS"

"Shall Not"

"SHALL *NOT*"
^^^^^ ^^^
"Be infringed."

Thank you for attending US Constitution 101.

Class dismissed.

-Mr. Scratch

"When I die, 'don't want no part of Heaven;
I would not do Heaven's work well.
I pray the Devil comes and takes me to stand
in the fiery furnaces of Hell."
-Bruce Springsteen, "Youngstown".

Rod K

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Mr. Scratch wrote:

> Thank you for attending US Constitution 101.
>
> Class dismissed.
>
> -Mr. Scratch

Funny thing too... This little piece is very well said, but missing one
interesting point: All the liberal gunphobes fail to apply their same
'group not individual' standard to all the OTHER Amendments on free
speech and religion that are worded in virtually the same way as the
2nd. For some reason, when they get to the 2nd things just short
circuit for some people.

cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Kerry Delf (kd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu) wrote:

: (D) What's your solution to the problem of international aggression? If
: the Canadians, for example, turn in all their guns (you're virtually
: there already), but...well, say, Quebec does not, and the government
: and residents of Quebec are hostile towards the rest of Canada, and
: want some of your resources -- what are you going to do? Send out a
: fucking army of kickboxers?

The army (*both* guys!), pinhead! Was this the most intelligent
"argument" you could come up with, or did you have to think about it?

: (E) As a Canadian, I'm sure you don't give a damn about American rights.

Well, I'll be damned -- you're *not* a total idiot!

: But the undeniable fact is that *WE* have the inalienable right to
: keep and bear arms

*If* you're part of a regulated militia -- better read your own
documents, floppo.

* *
* | Logic used | Logic not used | *
* -----------------|---------------|------------------| *
* Data used | Science | Empiricism | *
* -----------------|---------------|------------------| *
* Data not used | Rationalism | Mysticism | *
* *

Vampire

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote in message

>: But the undeniable fact is that *WE* have the inalienable right to
>: keep and bear arms
>
>*If* you're part of a regulated militia -- better read your own
>documents, floppo.

why is it the Canadians think they know what is in the constitution,
just me causing trouble again and loving it :)

Vampi
who doesn't care anymore who thinks what, he is just going to say what he
wants.

Vampire

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

tree wrote in message

> It's part of our grade 9-10 social studies courses or at least it was
>when I was attending grade school.
>
>tree...

9th and 10th grade in America is high school tree, oh yea you are from
Canada so it might be grade school there :)
Vampi

Peter MacGown

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Kerry Delf wrote:

><snipped>

> (E) As a Canadian, I'm sure you don't give a damn about American rights.
> But the undeniable fact is that *WE* have the inalienable right to
> keep and bear arms -- and for some reason, our people seem to be less
> likely than some other to roll over, bare our bellies, and play dead
> when legislators start carving away at our rights. We don't do
> turn-ins. (I believe it was in Australia that the sale of 5" PVC pipe
> skyrocketed immediately before and after a major gun ban. We would
> see the same response, only exacerbated, in this country -- if it ever
> managed to get to this point.)

Actually, you are incorrect in this. Personal weapons are generally
regulated by the state (in the US). Massachusetts, the state in which I
live, makes it very hard to get a firearm. You also have to have a
special license to have double-bladed weapons (so forget the really kewl
athame), and mace as well. Occasionally, I hear about some poor fool
who came into Massachusetts from a state that didn't require a weapons
license, and he was caught with a gun. For that lucky individual, he
gets an all expense year long vacation in one of our finest state penal
institutions. It's a manditory one year sentence, and he gets a felony
record to boot (which generally excludes you from having a weapon in
most other states). You do not have an inalienable right to keep and
bear firearms. You have the right to form a militia and have firearms
for the purpose of self defence and overthrowing a tyrannical
government. However, I wouldn't suggest trying it. Tyrannical
governments generally don't take kindly to militias formed for the
purpose of their overthrow. Ollie North (remember him) was denied a
license to have a handgun because he was not considered "moral" enough
to have one. He was not convicted of any crime (he won on appeal) but
he was denied on moral grounds. It seems rather odd that he was a man
who was trained to kill, but was denied a handgun because he was not
"moral" enough. Please try to understand your constitution a little
better before you start other countries forms of governments.

B*B
Pete

northsider

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Jesus would be against guns; but, the gun lobby is in league with the
preachers
using so-called christians who can't, or won't, think for themselves!

--
=Sandra=
http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/b/m/bmoore3/

Julia R. Cochrane

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Why?

Because if people want me not to carry one so badly that they'll
lie their asses off to me about it, and those same people are
mad because I'm good at what I do and make a lot of money and
would dearly love to take it all away from me, and those same
people are mad because I say what I think *especially* when I
know they don't like it, and those same people are mad at me
because I want to teach my kid what her dad and I think instead
of blithely sending them in to be indoctrinated by them, then I
can take that as a pretty good hint that the time is not far off
when I'm going to need those firearms.

Or, as someone I used to know once said, "I don't get the whole
idea of bondage. If I'm going to like what they're going to do to me
so much, why do they think they need to tie me up?"

Julie
--
* * *
Stop foreigners from undermining the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution.

rangrrik

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

northsider wrote:

> Jesus would be against guns; but, the gun lobby is in league with the
> preachers
> using so-called christians who can't, or won't, think for themselves!

Actually, that is a fallacy. Jesus, or at least the Biblical
representation of Jesus (which may have little relation to the
historical figure) is the one who instructed the apostles to bring a
sword to the Garden of Gethsemane and IIRC, instructed believers in the
last times to sell their cloaks and buy swords. He was no pacifist, at
least the biblical version of him was not.

Brad Thorarinson

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

northsider <north...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Jesus would be against guns; but, the gun lobby is in league with the
>preachers
>using so-called christians who can't, or won't, think for themselves!

" And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
- Luke 22:36

Seems to me that Jesus was certainly arguing for one's right to defend oneself
with appropriate tools. After all, he sure wasn't advocating violence.

Brad

Hunter

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

In article <1XbU.23$pG2.5...@typhoon.mbnet.mb.ca>,
bradt...@evergreen.freenet.mb.ca says...

Guess he didn't kick the money lenders out of the temple either.

--
Those who claim gun ownership is a mere privilege, not a right
are in fact claiming the right to abolish the privilege.

Malcolm Baron

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Very well put, thank you.

Malcolm

Malcolm Baron

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

> > Never trust a government that you can't shoot back at.
>
> Well I'll be damned there is a real paranoia thing going on here isn't
> there. Sorry I didn't see it at first. Actually most armed coups just put
> the same policies but with a different face in the government, not very
> progressive if you ask me.
>
> tree...

I am in no way argueing for an armed coup, in fact far from it. The point
I am trying to make is that I don't want to suffer the same fate as: the
Jews, Armenians, anti-soviet Russians, anti soviet anybody in the old east
block. The Hutus, (or Tutsis or whoever) Anti- Fascist Germans, anti
communist Chinese, the Kurds, Albanians, Algerians, etc etc. I am sure
other rewades of this can add other groups who became the victims of their
own governments to this list. What I am arguing is the same position as the
drafters of the 2nd amendment. In a country where only the government has
guns, the government can become dictatorial. This will not happen if the
citizens can shoot back

Bill.B

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

>*If* you're part of a regulated militia -- better read your own
>documents, floppo.

"Well Regulated" as written in the 2nd Amendment, in the time it was written
meant "Well Disciplined", FLOPPO!!!!!!

Steve Hix

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Man! Which .groups do I trim this time...?

> Jesus would be against guns;

Here we go again...

35 And He said to them, "When I sent you out without purse and bag
and sandals, you did not lack anything, did you?" And they said,
"No, nothing."
36 And He said to them, "But now, let him who has a purse take it along,
likewise also a bag, and let him who has no sword sell his robe and
buy one.
38 And they said, "Lord, look, here are two swords." And He said to them,
"It is enough." (Luke 22:35,36,38 NASB)

Looks like He wasn't against swords. He *did* clearly have a problem with
initiating force against others. Defensive use was a different matter.

> but, the gun lobby is in league with the preachers using so-called
> christians who can't, or won't, think for themselves!

Or maybe not.

Rod K

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Very well said, Julia. I believe I may have to quote you from time to
time.

RK

northsider

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

rangrrik wrote:

> northsider wrote:
> >
> > Jesus would be against guns; but, the gun lobby is in league with the

> > preachers
> > using so-called christians who can't, or won't, think for themselves!
> >

> Actually, that is a fallacy. Jesus, or at least the Biblical
> representation of Jesus (which may have little relation to the
> historical figure) is the one who instructed the apostles to bring a
> sword to the Garden of Gethsemane and IIRC, instructed believers in the
> last times to sell their cloaks and buy swords. He was no pacifist, at
> least the biblical version of him was not.

It is not a fallacy that religion is about power and that religious
leaders
are often more politicians that anything else; and, as such they have
formed
alliances with strange bedfellows including people who confuse their
guns with
their penises! :)

I will admit that you can find anything in the Bible to support any idea
you
want. I'll take: "....whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek,
turn to him
the other also. And if any man shall sue thee at the law, and take away
thy coat,
let him have thy cloak also." Matthew 5:39-40

If a Christian pays attention to anything Christ supposedly said I
should think
it would be the "Sermon on the Mount!" :)

cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Bill.B (bi...@hrtc.net) wrote:

: >*If* you're part of a regulated militia -- better read your own
: >documents, floppo.

: "Well Regulated" as written in the 2nd Amendment, in the time it was
: written meant "Well Disciplined", FLOPPO!!!!!!

As the word "discipline" existed at the time, and as they were all
relatively well-educated men, perhaps it's possible that if they
*meant* discipline, they would've *wrote* discipline?

Joe Sylvester

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In article <35209192...@bc.sympatico.ca>, tr...@bc.sympatico.ca says...

>Malcolm Baron wrote:
>

>> > The army (*both* guys!), pinhead! Was this the most intelligent
>> > "argument" you could come up with, or did you have to think about it?
>> >

>> Do you want to live in a ountry where only the government has access to
>> firearms? I sure don't! More people die at the hands of there own
>> governments than do at the hands of invading armies.
>>
>> Never trust a government that you can't shoot back at.
>
> Well I'll be damned there is a real paranoia thing going on here isn't
>there. Sorry I didn't see it at first. Actually most armed coups just put
>the same policies but with a different face in the government, not very
>progressive if you ask me.
>
>tree...

You need to read more carefully. He said "shoot *back* at". Implying that the
government forces institued the shooting. It could even be in the context of
resisting a coup.

--

The Second Amendment is the RESET button
of the United States Constitution.

Kerry Delf

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98
to cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

[posted and cc'd]

On 31 Mar 1998 cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote:

> Kerry Delf (kd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu) wrote:
>
> : (D) What's your solution to the problem of international aggression? If
> : the Canadians, for example, turn in all their guns (you're virtually
> : there already), but...well, say, Quebec does not, and the government
> : and residents of Quebec are hostile towards the rest of Canada, and
> : want some of your resources -- what are you going to do? Send out a
> : fucking army of kickboxers?
>

> The army (*both* guys!), pinhead! Was this the most intelligent
> "argument" you could come up with, or did you have to think about it?

*What* army, little self-appointed czar? If the Canadians (to continue
the example) had "solved" the problem of violence by getting rid of all
the guns, how in hell is the military armed to defend the country?

Taking firearms out of the hands of law-abiding citizens, while allowing
the government to retain full firepower, is another situation entirely,
and one which I find even more morally and ethically horrifying. The
poster to whom I was responding, however, claimed that the "simple
solution" was to merely get rid of all the guns.

Learn to read comprehensively.

[...]

Kerry Delf

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, tree wrote:

> Vampire wrote:
>
> > cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote in message
> >

> > > Kerry Delf wrote:
> > >
> > >: But the undeniable fact is that *WE* have the inalienable right to
> > >: keep and bear arms
> > >

> > > *If* you're part of a regulated militia -- better read your own
> > > documents, floppo.
> >

> > why is it the Canadians think they know what is in the constitution,
> > just me causing trouble again and loving it :)
>

> It's part of our grade 9-10 social studies courses or at least it was
> when I was attending grade school.

Then it looks like either Czar's teachers (and apparently yours) were
incompetent or misinformed, or he was simply unteachable.

> tree...

Kerry Delf

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, tree wrote:

> Malcolm Baron wrote:
>
> > > The army (*both* guys!), pinhead! Was this the most intelligent
> > > "argument" you could come up with, or did you have to think about it?
> >

> > Do you want to live in a ountry where only the government has access
> > to firearms? I sure don't! More people die at the hands of there
> > own governments than do at the hands of invading armies.
> >
> > Never trust a government that you can't shoot back at.
>
> Well I'll be damned there is a real paranoia thing going on here isn't
> there. Sorry I didn't see it at first. Actually most armed coups just
> put the same policies but with a different face in the government, not
> very progressive if you ask me.

He wasn't talking about an armed coup. He said (READ it this time, I'll
type slowly for you): "Never trust a government you can't shoot BACK at."
Governments around the world have *always* committed injustices against
their citizens, and the severity of those injustices (including the murder
rate of citizens by government agents) tends to be much higher when the
citizens have been deprived of their right to keep and bear arms.

What with fairly recent situations such as Ruby Ridge and Waco (and those
are just the well-publicized ones), along with hundreds, likely thousands,
of unjust and unconstitutional no-knock raids, I fail to see how
recognition that government agents are not necessarily always the good
guys who are on your side is to be classified as "paranoia."

Kerry Delf

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98
to Peter MacGown

[posted and cc'd]

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Peter MacGown wrote:

> Kerry Delf wrote:
>
> > (E) As a Canadian, I'm sure you don't give a damn about American rights.

> > But the undeniable fact is that *WE* have the inalienable right to
> > keep and bear arms [...]

> Actually, you are incorrect in this. Personal weapons are generally
> regulated by the state (in the US). Massachusetts, the state in which I
> live, makes it very hard to get a firearm. You also have to have a
> special license to have double-bladed weapons (so forget the really kewl

> athame), and mace as well. [...]

Good point, Pete. Thanks for pointing out how our Constitution is being
undermined and violated.

Personal weapons ARE often over-regulated by the states. That doesn't
make it Constitutional, and there are those of us who continue to fight
this egregious violation vociferously.

We'll get you your athame back yet, man... <grin> (What do you do, just
use a blunt blade, or a single-edged knife?

Damned stinkers in MA. The bullshit firearms etc. laws in Massachusetts
are among the reasons I've chosen not to ever live there, though I
considered it at one point. As a 120-lb. woman who often has occasion to
be out alone at night, I refuse to live in a state which denies me the
right to take responsiblity for my own protection, despite the state's
inability to protect me if they deny me the right to concealed carry.
Problems we may have (just look at the Oregon Citizen's Alliance and their
anti-gay-rights measure), but I still love Oregon...

> B*B
> Pete

Kerry Delf

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Brad Thorarinson wrote:

> northsider <north...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > Jesus would be against guns; but, the gun lobby is in league with the
> > preachers using so-called christians who can't, or won't, think for
> > themselves!
>

> " And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
> - Luke 22:36
>
> Seems to me that Jesus was certainly arguing for one's right to defend
> oneself with appropriate tools. After all, he sure wasn't advocating
> violence.

Not to mention the fact that the simple fact that some gun folks are
Christians does not mean either (A) "the gun lobby is in league with"
Christians or (B) pro-gun-rights people can't think for themselves. Hell,
it doesn't even mean that the two positions, pro- gun rights and
Christianity, are correlated -- I'm an atheist and a pro-gunner
(politically, as well as being a firearms enthusiast; the two are
entirely separate things).

Right-o. This is getting even more off-topic than usual in half of the
cross-post list... Follow-ups redirected.

> Brad

Ero...@aol.com

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In article <6fre8l$e...@acmey.gatech.edu>,

jb...@prism.gatech.edu (Julia R. Cochrane) wrote:

> Why?
>
> Because if people want me not to carry one so badly that they'll
> lie their asses off to me about it, and those same people are
> mad because I'm good at what I do and make a lot of money and
> would dearly love to take it all away from me, and those same
> people are mad because I say what I think *especially* when I
> know they don't like it, and those same people are mad at me
> because I want to teach my kid what her dad and I think instead
> of blithely sending them in to be indoctrinated by them, then I
> can take that as a pretty good hint that the time is not far off
> when I'm going to need those firearms.
>
> Or, as someone I used to know once said, "I don't get the whole
> idea of bondage. If I'm going to like what they're going to do to me
> so much, why do they think they need to tie me up?"

IMHO this isn't such a good analogy. The obvious answer is "It's *different*
when you're tied up. Maybe you won't like it - but you won't know until you've
tried it."

Gun owners, OTOH, already know what it's like to not be allowed guns.

(On the third hand, the two cases are alike in that they both require generous
slices of trust. Do you trust random bureaucrats enough to let them tie you up
for sex? No? Then how can you trust them to disarm you - especially when
*they* get to keep *their* guns?)

> Julie
> --
> * * *
> Stop foreigners from undermining the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution.
> Protect US Sovereignty. Boycott Japan, Inc.

Erol K. Bayburt
Ero...@aol.com (mail drop)
Er...@ix.netcom.com (surfboard)

SFT

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

On 1 Apr 1998 03:39:24 GMT, cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca () wrote:

>Bill.B (bi...@hrtc.net) wrote:
>
>: >*If* you're part of a regulated militia -- better read your own
>: >documents, floppo.
>

>: "Well Regulated" as written in the 2nd Amendment, in the time it was
>: written meant "Well Disciplined", FLOPPO!!!!!!
>
>As the word "discipline" existed at the time, and as they were all
>relatively well-educated men, perhaps it's possible that if they
>*meant* discipline, they would've *wrote* discipline?

Kinda like if they'd meant for the right to keep and bear arms to only
apply to people in a well regulated militia, they could have used
those words instead of "people". "A well regulated militia being
necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the states to
keep militias shall not be infringed." I think if they'd meant that,
they would have said that.

Steve

Charles Ellis

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote in article
<6fpgdv$hlc$3...@news.sas.ab.ca>...

> Kerry Delf (kd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu) wrote:
>
> : (D) What's your solution to the problem of international aggression?
If
> : the Canadians, for example, turn in all their guns (you're
virtually
> : there already), but...well, say, Quebec does not, and the
government
> : and residents of Quebec are hostile towards the rest of Canada, and

> : want some of your resources -- what are you going to do? Send out
> : fucking army of kickboxers?
>

> The army (*both* guys!), pinhead! Was this the most intelligent
> "argument" you could come up with, or did you have to think about it?
>

> : (E) As a Canadian, I'm sure you don't give a damn about American
rights.

> Well, I'll be damned -- you're *not* a total idiot!

I had to answer this due to the fact the person here seems to be from the
Soviet Republic of Canada. I doubt that most Canadians knows what "rights"
are. Poor oppressed surfs.

> : But the undeniable fact is that *WE* have the inalienable right to
> : keep and bear arms
>

> *If* you're part of a regulated militia -- better read your own
> documents, floppo.

Hmm. Typical Canadian ignorance of US history. Read Madison's, Franklin's
and Jefferson's definition of a "militia"....floppo. Floppo? What is a
floppo? Since Canadians are not taught in their Goverment mind grinders
(public schools) what freedom is and are taught how they hail from the
glorious British Empire I would not have expected any other response.
There are enlightened Canadians and many have taken refuge here in the ever
diminishing haven of freedom.
The queen is a bitch and her family have been murderous scum for centuries.

Paul M. Zeller

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998 23:24:28 -0800, Malcolm Baron
<mba...@achilles.net> wrote:

>> The army (*both* guys!), pinhead! Was this the most intelligent
>> "argument" you could come up with, or did you have to think about it?
>>

>Do you want to live in a ountry where only the government has access to
>firearms? I sure don't! More people die at the hands of there own
>governments than do at the hands of invading armies.
>
>Never trust a government that you can't shoot back at.

If for some reason the government of the United States wanted to use
military force against it's citizens, all the deer hunters and gun
owners in the country would not be able to prevent it from completing
it's mission.

Wuff

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In <35217B50...@achilles.net> Malcolm Baron <mba...@achilles.net> writes:

<large snip>

> What I am arguing is the same position as the
>drafters of the 2nd amendment. In a country where only the government has
>guns, the government can become dictatorial. This will not happen if the
>citizens can shoot back

I have always wondered at this mindset : 'I've got a gun so I can defend
myself'.

Look, if your government ever decides to use direct physical force against
you, and can find men willing to do it, then they will walk through you
like you're not there. They have tanks, wire-guided missiles, body armour,
grenades, heavy machine guns, and sniper rifles than can blow you in half
from (literally) a mile away.

There is absolutely *nothing* you can do about such a dictatorial government
except prevent it (or the military mindset which creates it) from forming in
the first place.

Any talk of combatting modern military hardware and training with a personal
weapon is a joke.

Regards,

Vin

SFT

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

So, what will you do? Bend over and spread you cheeks?
Steve

W. Kiernan

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Hello newsgroups!

Indeed, as a matter of grammar, I think that the first interpretation an
English speaker would give to the Second Amendment would take that
opening phrase:

A well-regulated Militia being necessary for the security of a Free
State,

as explanatory, not as a condition upon the second phrase:

the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms shall not be infringed.

You can't accuse the authors of the Constitution of illiteracy, nor of
the inability to think and write logically and accurately. If the
writers of the Second Amendment had wanted to phrase it as a
conditional, they'd have done so, for example:

The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms, in the service of a
Well-regulated militia, shall not be infringed.

(I'm thinking here of an amusing, but, I think, wrong-thinking essay by
Paul Fussell where he considered it to be the condition upon which the
second phrase rests, i.e., he considers the second phrase to be
conditional upon the first, so a citizen does not have the unconditional
right to bear arms unless he is a member of a "well-regulated militia".
Mr. Fussell was a Lieutenant in the U.S. Army in the Second World War in
Europe, where he was wounded in combat, so he is well acquainted with
the pleasures of military service. His suggestion was to create a
National Militia and force all gun-owners either to join up, and undergo
an experience kind of like National Guard service, complete with
bivouacs in the woods and G.I. cuisine, or else to relinquish their
guns.)

By "arms", contemporary usage at the time of the writing of the Second
Amendment meant each and every weapon used in war; I can recall a letter
from George Washington about at the time of the defeat of Cornwallis at
Yorktown, where he describes the French war ships - war ships being the
most potent weapons in the world that year, their equivalent of
strategic nuclear bombers - as "arms". I only mention this to prempt
the common but dubious argument that the Second Amendment refers to
weapons light enough to carry, such as rifles or pistols, but does not
include, say, cannons. Besides, even if you do acknowledge that point,
and I do not, the U.S. has manufactured a nuclear bomb light enough for
one man to carry, and how much does a vial of botulism toxin or Sarin
nerve gas weigh?

So it seems to me that, if read literally (as it was intended!), the
Second Amendment clearly justifies the private ownership of:

Knives and swords
Handguns, rifles and shotguns
Bombs, e.g. dynamite and C-4 or Semtex plastic explosive
Hand grenades
Machine guns
Mortars
Artillery cannons, e.g. howitzers
Land mines
Tanks and armored cars
Warplanes of all sorts, from single-seat prop planes to B-52 heavy
strategic bombers
Guided ground-to-air missiles, e.g. the Stinger shoulder-launched
anti-aircraft missile
Ground-to-ground missiles, e.g. the Pershing intermediate-range
ballistic missile, or the German A-4 (V-2) missile
Cruise missiles, e.g. the Tomahawk terrain-following missile
Poison gases
Biological weapons, e.g. anthrax bombs
Radiological weapons
Nuclear bombs

You may object that no private individual can afford to buy a nuclear
bombs, so the issue is moot. Perhaps that is true; on the other hand a
Stinger anti-aircraft missile costs just $50,000, less than the average
private house (in fact, if the madmen at the C.I.A. like you, they'll
ship you hundreds of them for free) and a Tomahawk costs only a mere
million dollars, which means that, say, H. Ross Perot could easily
afford a fleet of a thousand of them. And, Hell, hand grenades are dirt
cheap to manufacture; even I could afford a case or two of them. (I'd
want ones with long fuses. Some pistol-waving punk's trying to carry
out a carjacking? Just pull the pin, roll it under the driver's seat,
step out of the car, and say, "It's all yours.")

Furthermore, the Second Amendment states:

the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms shall not be infringed

and I want to focus on the phrase "shall not be infringed", which
literally means that so long as I retain the rights of an ordinary
citizen, the state shall put NO IMPEDIMENTS WHATSOEVER between me and
the vendor of any weapon I choose. It would not be enough if, by
jumping through bureaucratic hoops, I could acquire that case of hand
grenades; ANY impediment - filling out forms, applying for special
permission, registering my possesion with a government agency, even
paying sales tax - is ipso facto unconstitutional.

Yet, despite the clear and unequivocal wording of the Second Amendment,
I can't walk into the local gun shop and buy a hand grenade, or a
fully-automatic rifle (by which I mean one that fires a whole burst of
bullets with one trigger-pull - I don't want to get into an argument
about the ill-defined term "assault weapon"). Americans haven't been
able to freely buy a Thompson submachine gun since about 1930.

That date 1930 is important here because those pathological liars who
run the U.S. Republican Party are constantly whining about how "Clinton
has taken our gun rights away". They're political campaign operatives,
so all sensible people expect them to lie constantly, and I know they
only spout that nonsense in their eagerness to hook all the hunters and
sportsmen into voting Republican, but that doesn't change the fact that
they're lying and they know it. It wasn't Clinton, you sleazy liars,
Clinton wasn't even born yet, it wasn't even a Democrat, it was Herbert
Hoover, a Republican, who signed the bill which, practically speaking,
repealed the Second Amendment.

The Second Amendment is dead. In its place, the various states
grudgingly grant certain limited rights regarding arms. In Florida, I
(as an adult citizen with undiminshed rights, that is, I am neither a
mental patient nor a convicted felon) can possess a hunting rifle with
no restrictions; I can also buy a pistol, but if I want to carry it (and
what use is a pistol if you can't carry it?) I need to get a permit. In
New York, legally speaking, I can't possess the pistol at all. In some
Western states, I believe I'd have even broader rights than I do here.
But as far as I know, in no state in the Union can I legally carry a
hand grenade.

In practice, then, the question isn't whether I have the right to bear
arms; it is only where the state shall draw the line. Below that line
are the weapons I can carry, say pistols or knives. Above that line are
the weapons that are proscribed, say howitzers and nerve gas. The
practical political issue since 1930 or so, though Second Amendment
literalists refuse to acknowledge this fact, is only exactly where to
place the line.

I say again: the Second Amendment, taken literally, is a dead letter.
The Second Amendment guarantees you certain rights. In practical fact,
you do not enjoy those rights. That's the way it is. I don't readily
see how the citizens of the U.S.A. can regain those rights. In fact,
even if I could imagine a scheme to resuscitate the Second Amendment,
I'm not so sure I want to re-establish the rights guaranteed by the
Second Amendment.

What do you want? Do you want the citizens of Miami to be able to buy
Stinger anti-aircraft missiles over the counter? Do you think it would
be a good idea to sell those folks 105 mm howitzers? I mention Miami
here because of a strange-but-true fact, the recital of which may amuse
foreigners. Each and every year at New Year's Day one or two people die
in Miami, due to the colorful local custom of masses of local
pistol-waving idiots celebrating the new year by stepping outdoors and
emptying their guns into the air. Naturally when you fire thousands of
rounds of ammunition into the sky, well, you know, gravity and all, the
bullets fall randomly, and one or two poor suckers get hit and killed.
Now imagine New Year's in Miami with Stingers and howitzers.

I'd be interested in hearing the responses of gun enthusiasts concerning
this issue, provided they had something to say besides personal
insults. Since I have just about zero interest in owning a gun myself,
I have never bothered to seriously analyze how you could uphold a
literal interpretation of the Second Amendment, and yet avoid the urban
holocaust you'd expect if all U.S. citizens actually did have unlimited
access to all forms of weaponry. All of you who quote the Second
Amendment as though it had any meaning these days, what do you think?

Yours WDK - WKie...@concentric.net

PS: Incidentally, I snipped the Wicca and Satanism newsgroups off the
header; I fail to see the connection, and I'll bet they do too. I'd
have snipped the atheism group too, but that's where I'm posting from.

Mr. Scratch wrote:

> On 31 Mar 1998 cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote:
>

> > Kerry Delf (kd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu) wrote:
> >
> > > (D) What's your solution to the problem of international
> > > aggression? If the Canadians, for example, turn in all their
> > > guns (you're virtually there already), but...well, say, Quebec
> > > does not, and the government and residents of Quebec are hostile
> > > towards the rest of Canada, and want some of your resources --
> > > what are you going to do? Send out a fucking army of kickboxers?
> >

> > The army (*both* guys!), pinhead! Was this the most intelligent
> > "argument" you could come up with, or did you have to think about
> > it?
>

> Your answer seems to make no sense whatsoever. You seem to have
> missed the point altogether...and you accuse /Kerry/ of being a
> pinhead"?

> > > But the undeniable fact is that *WE* have the inalienable right
> > > to keep and bear arms
> >
> > *If* you're part of a regulated militia -- better read your own
> > documents, floppo.
>

> I have read it. Lets go over the relevant article, point by point,
> shall we?
>
> "Amendment II: A well-regulated Militia being necessary for the
> security of a Free State, the Right of the People to Keep and Bear
> Arms shall not be infringed."
>
> It does not say anywhere that citizens must be part of the militia to
> own guns, though indeed, all male citizens above the age of 17 are
> automatically members of the militia. What it says is that it must
> remain possible for a well-regulated (meaning "standardized") militia
> to be formed, in case there is a threat to the freedom of the state.
> The effect can be examined from a better perspective if you switch
> the subject of the text from "guns" to "books". Example...
>
> "A well-educated legislature being necessary for the security of a
> Free State, the right of the People to Keep and Read Books shall not
> be infringed."
>
> You wouldn't interpret this to mean that people could only read books
> if they were members of the legislature, would you? If you did, you
> would likely not have an educated legislature at all.
>
> Furthermore, you will note the word "People" appears into the text of
> the 2nd Amendment. You do know who "the People" are, aren't you?
> Well, common sense (as well as the Supreme Court) tell me that "the
> People" are the common citizenry.
>
> The 2nd Amendment says "the Right of the PEOPLE to Keep and Bear Arms
> SHALL NOT be infringed.

< snip Holy Invocation, religious worship bores me >

jo...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Charles Ellis (charle...@nashville.com) wrote:
: > : (E) As a Canadian, I'm sure you don't give a damn about American
: rights.
Only the right to take away the rights of those poorer than you.

: >
: > Well, I'll be damned -- you're *not* a total idiot!

: I had to answer this due to the fact the person here seems to be from the
: Soviet Republic of Canada. I doubt that most Canadians knows what "rights"
: are. Poor oppressed surfs.

Canada is not a republic, dude.
And I do too know what rights are. They're like the things the government
sends you in the mail and through those electronic chips in your skull
that tell you to do stuff.

: >
: > : But the undeniable fact is that *WE* have the inalienable right to

: > : keep and bear arms
: >
: > *If* you're part of a regulated militia -- better read your own
: > documents, floppo.

: Hmm. Typical Canadian ignorance of US history. Read Madison's, Franklin's

: and Jefferson's definition of a "militia"....floppo. Floppo? What is a
: floppo? Since Canadians are not taught in their Goverment mind grinders
: (public schools) what freedom is and are taught how they hail from the
: glorious British Empire I would not have expected any other response.

I went to an American private school for one day and was surprised at how
much American propaganda there was there.
If you're wondering what a floppo is, I'll ask what's this glorious
British Empire you speak about?

: There are enlightened Canadians and many have taken refuge here in the ever
: diminishing haven of freedom.
ANd there are ignorant Americans (ie Tories, black slaves) who have taken
refuge here from the persecution of the States.

: The queen is a bitch and her family have been murderous scum for centuries.
Finally, we agree on something. But looking at the tabloids, America seems
to spend a lot more time on the monarchy than Canadians, all the while Bat
Boy is out terrorising your neighbourhoods.

Julia R. Cochrane

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca () writes:

>Bill.B (bi...@hrtc.net) wrote:

>: >*If* you're part of a regulated militia -- better read your own
>: >documents, floppo.

>: "Well Regulated" as written in the 2nd Amendment, in the time it was

>: written meant "Well Disciplined", FLOPPO!!!!!!

>As the word "discipline" existed at the time, and as they were all
>relatively well-educated men, perhaps it's possible that if they
>*meant* discipline, they would've *wrote* discipline?

Physician, heal thyself! You're so fond of adding data to logic,
go find a dictionary of English contemporaneous to the late 18th
century and early 19th century and look at the documented uses
of the term "well-regulated".

You're reasoning without data. Go look in a reference book for
uses of the term in various contexts in that time period. Linguists
and etymologists love this stuff and the references are readily
available in the libraries that serve them.

Julie

>--
> * *
> * | Logic used | Logic not used | *
> * -----------------|---------------|------------------| *
> * Data used | Science | Empiricism | *
> * -----------------|---------------|------------------| *
> * Data not used | Rationalism | Mysticism | *
> * *

Gregory Gyetko

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Charles Ellis wrote:

> cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote in article
> <6fpgdv$hlc$3...@news.sas.ab.ca>...

> > Kerry Delf (kd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu) wrote:
> >
> > : (D) What's your solution to the problem of international aggression?
> If
> > : the Canadians, for example, turn in all their guns (you're
> virtually
> > : there already), but...well, say, Quebec does not, and the
> government
> > : and residents of Quebec are hostile towards the rest of Canada, and
>
> > : want some of your resources -- what are you going to do? Send out
> > : fucking army of kickboxers?
> >
> > The army (*both* guys!), pinhead! Was this the most intelligent
> > "argument" you could come up with, or did you have to think about it?
> >

> > : (E) As a Canadian, I'm sure you don't give a damn about American
> rights.
> >

> > Well, I'll be damned -- you're *not* a total idiot!
>
> I had to answer this due to the fact the person here seems to be from the
> Soviet Republic of Canada. I doubt that most Canadians knows what "rights"
> are. Poor oppressed surfs.

HEY LOOK OVER THERE!!!

It's a UFO come to capture you and shove a probe up your ass

QUICK!! HIDE!!

Heh, heh, silly yankee. That'll keep him busy.

Or perhaps we should give him another civilian population to drop a nuclear
weapon on.

> > : But the undeniable fact is that *WE* have the inalienable right to
> > : keep and bear arms
> >

> > *If* you're part of a regulated militia -- better read your own
> > documents, floppo.
>

> Hmm. Typical Canadian ignorance of US history. Read Madison's, Franklin's
> and Jefferson's definition of a "militia"....floppo. Floppo?

Floppo: person who is known lack froodiness

> Since Canadians are not taught in their Goverment mind grinders
> (public schools) what freedom is and are taught how they hail from the
> glorious British Empire I would not have expected any other response.

They didn't teach us about the British Empire being glorious - but they did
mention how we clobbered you in the war of 1812 ... btw, the new paintjob on
the White House looks great ;-).

> There are enlightened Canadians and many have taken refuge here in the ever
> diminishing haven of freedom.

You have lower taxes. If it weren't for that, the higher probabily of being
mugged or shot accidentally by my neighbour wouldn't be worth it.

> The queen is a bitch and her family have been murderous scum for centuries.

Monarchies, y'know. But did the Queen ever masacre 80000 civilians with one
bomb?

Greg.

--
alt.atheism Atheist #911
"I'd worship Satan, but I'm going to hell anyway,

Peter H. Proctor

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In article <35226B...@concentric.net> "W. Kiernan" <WKie...@concentric.net> writes:
>From: "W. Kiernan" <WKie...@concentric.net>
>Subject: Re: Firearms why carry them?

snip..

>Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 11:31:16 -0500

>Yet, despite the clear and unequivocal wording of the Second Amendment,
>I can't walk into the local gun shop and buy a hand grenade, or a
>fully-automatic rifle (by which I mean one that fires a whole burst of
>bullets with one trigger-pull - I don't want to get into an argument
>about the ill-defined term "assault weapon"). Americans haven't been
>able to freely buy a Thompson submachine gun since about 1930.

Actually, you can, sorta. You just have to jump thru some hoops and
pay a tax.. In the "less-enlightened" 1930's, people actually thought the
constitution meant something. So the NFA is written as a tax law. This
is because the gummit can tax any damn thing it wants, even if a picky
literal reading of the constitution limits its powers otherwise.

Dr. P

cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Kerry Delf (kd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu) wrote:

: *What* army, little self-appointed czar? If the Canadians (to continue

: the example) had "solved" the problem of violence by getting rid of all
: the guns, how in hell is the military armed to defend the country?

Only an abymally stupid blithering fuckwit would think that the gun
control would extend to the armed forces.

Oh, hi, Kerry! -- I was just talking about you!

Matthew T. Russotto

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In article <6fsrtg$q...@web3.tcd.ie>, Wuff <vcun...@tcd.ie> wrote:

}Look, if your government ever decides to use direct physical force against
}you, and can find men willing to do it, then they will walk through you
}like you're not there.

No, they won't. They will inflict terrible casualties, but they will
not come out unscathed.
--
Matthew T. Russotto russ...@pond.com
of justice is no virtue."

rangrrik

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Gregory Gyetko wrote:

> Monarchies, y'know. But did the Queen ever masacre 80000 civilians with one
> bomb?
>
> Greg.

You REALLY want to get into an argument as to whether Hiroshima and
Nagasaki were justified? You REALLY want to do that?

rangrrik

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Wuff wrote:

> In <35217B50...@achilles.net> Malcolm Baron <mba...@achilles.net> writes:
>
> <large snip>
>
> > What I am arguing is the same position as the
> >drafters of the 2nd amendment. In a country where only the government has
> >guns, the government can become dictatorial. This will not happen if the
> >citizens can shoot back
>
> I have always wondered at this mindset : 'I've got a gun so I can defend
> myself'.
>
> Look, if your government ever decides to use direct physical force against
> you, and can find men willing to do it, then they will walk through you
> like you're not there. They have tanks, wire-guided missiles, body armour,
> grenades, heavy machine guns, and sniper rifles than can blow you in half
> from (literally) a mile away.
>
> There is absolutely *nothing* you can do about such a dictatorial government
> except prevent it (or the military mindset which creates it) from forming in
> the first place.
>
> Any talk of combatting modern military hardware and training with a personal
> weapon is a joke.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vin

Ahem. Tell that to the Chaddians who took on Lybian T-62 tanks in Toyota
Four-Runners. Tell that to the Afghans that took on Soviet tanks and
helicopters with hand-made rifles. Tell that to the Vietcong, the Moros
in the Phillipines and EVERY SINGLE guerilla force that tied up armies a
thousand times their size throughout history.

Steve Fischer

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In article <1XbU.23$pG2.5...@typhoon.mbnet.mb.ca> bradt...@evergreen.freenet.mb.ca (Brad Thorarinson) writes:
>northsider <north...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>Jesus would be against guns; but, the gun lobby is in league with the
>>preachers
>>using so-called christians who can't, or won't, think for themselves!
>" And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."
> - Luke 22:36
>
>Seems to me that Jesus was certainly arguing for one's right to defend oneself
>with appropriate tools. After all, he sure wasn't advocating violence.
>
>Brad

Most established religions believe that suicide is a sin. If
you fail to take measures to defend yourself, you are mocking God's
gift of life to you.

--
/Steve D. Fischer/Atlanta, Georgia/str...@netcom.com/

rangrrik

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote:

> Only an abymally stupid blithering fuckwit would think that the gun
> control would extend to the armed forces.

You mean fuckwits like Senator Lautenburg, whose amendment to a spending
bill said that anyone who was convicted of domestic violence couldn't
posess firearms? For several months, until Congress changed the law,
there were literally tens of thousands of military men and cops who
COULDN'T CARRY GUNS ON DUTY.
Then they decided that cops and soldiers who beat up their wives were
okay to carry guns again. Only the citizens they supposedly protect are
covered by laws.

Don Staples

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

More interesting line of thought, if the Brits had the bomb, and a means
of delivery, during the battle of britain, how long do you think Berlin
would have lasted? That wouldn't be the sun rising in the east.
--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335

My Ego Stroke: http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/

Mutt

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

This Friday, April 3, I will be 21 years old. The legal age to have a
concealed weapon liscence in Texas. The minute I get the liscence, I will
be carrying a 2 bullet derringer in my glove box because the D/FW metro
area (Or any place for that matter) is not a very safe place to be in. Hell
yeah, I'll use a gun if it is to protect my life or the life of another.
Something Garougirl & I talked about on IRC is that "An it harm none..."
refers to "needless" harming. If someone was attempting to kill someone you
loved and you harm that person to protect the person he's attacking, that
is not needless. You put a gun to someone's head & pull the trigger just
for fun, now that is needless. The reasoning behind this is because we, as
humans, can't go through life without harming. We eat meat, which harms the
animal. But that is not needless harm because we need that animal's meat to
survive. Same goes for vegetables. Would you start eating dirt because
eating vegetables & meat is harmful to living plants & animals? Other
animals feed off of plants & fellow animals, so they are no more guilty
than us.

Blessed be,
-Mutt the Pagan Fur
kit...@flash.net
Mutt@FurryMUCK
ftp://furry.olsy-na.com/pub/Images/Jim-Tarpley/
http://www.witchvox.com
"Come on, you apes! You wanta live forever??"
-Unknown platoon sergeant, 1918

Gregory Gyetko

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Don Staples wrote:

> rangrrik wrote:
> >
> > Gregory Gyetko wrote:
> > >
> > > Monarchies, y'know. But did the Queen ever masacre 80000 civilians with one
> > > bomb?
> > >
> > > Greg.
> >
> > You REALLY want to get into an argument as to whether Hiroshima and
> > Nagasaki were justified? You REALLY want to do that?

Why is getting in to an argument with an American over the bomb such a big deal
while referring to Canada as a communist country isn't?

I stand for my country and kick back at anybody who has a problem with it.

> More interesting line of thought, if the Brits had the bomb, and a means
> of delivery, during the battle of britain, how long do you think Berlin
> would have lasted? That wouldn't be the sun rising in the east.

Well, I've always wondered about the bombing of the city of Danzig. Big artsie
place, no industry to speak of, but the Allies bombed the hell out of it anyway.

OTOH, if the Brits *had* the bomb, I'd imagine they would have picked a place in
the Ruhr valley - y'know where there was lots of *industry* and fewer *people*. It
doesn't make sense to bomb civilians, rather indecent, really.

I mean look at how the Japanese did it. They hit Pearl Harbour - they hit a
military target, wiped out all the ships that they could, killed a lot of navy
people. But how much damage did they do to the civilian population?

You have to admit, bombing civilians is a terrorist act, just like Hitler bombing
London, just like Saddam and his scuds.

David Brickner

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

It is a telling fact that the people in England are called "subjects" as
opposed to citizens. Those in canada and Australia have been holding on
to the apron strings of the queen for too long. They have turned over
their guns meekly because they just don't know any better. There must be
a few espeially in Quebec and Rural Australia who haven't cooperated
with the tyranny against freedom forced on their countries, but probably
not many. Germany just bought out Rolls Royce so I guess they are at
last winning the war. At least we won't have to save Englands ass again
likw we did in WW2. The sun HAS set on the British empire..........

Bill.B

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

>: >*If* you're part of a regulated militia -- better read your own
>: >documents, floppo.
>

>: "Well Regulated" as written in the 2nd Amendment, in the time it was
>: written meant "Well Disciplined", FLOPPO!!!!!!
>
>As the word "discipline" existed at the time, and as they were all
>relatively well-educated men, perhaps it's possible that if they
>*meant* discipline, they would've *wrote* discipline?

Everywhere else in the Constitution where "regulate" is written it also
say's who will regulate. Well who will regulate a malitia that is to keep
the government in check? Certainly not the government!

Mike Phelan

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

jo...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote in message
<6ftrqb$qv8$2...@news.sas.ab.ca>...
>Charles Ellis (charle...@nashville.com) wrote:
>: > : (E) As a Canadian, I'm sure you don't give a damn about American
>: rights.

>Only the right to take away the rights of those poorer than you.
>
>: >

>: > Well, I'll be damned -- you're *not* a total idiot!

>: I had to answer this due to the fact the person here seems to be from the
>: Soviet Republic of Canada. I doubt that most Canadians knows what
"rights"
>: are. Poor oppressed surfs.

>Canada is not a republic, dude.
>And I do too know what rights are. They're like the things the government
>sends you in the mail and through those electronic chips in your skull
>that tell you to do stuff.

blah blah blah!

All this comming from the "land of the free" which is also home of the Kent
State Tianenmen massacre, target of countles Amnesty International human
rights campaigns, the place that is sooo free that you can get executed for
expressing your oppinions (look up Julius Rosenburg) and where you can't say
that you don't like hamburgers.
The land of the free, the bigest democracy on earth, where less than half of
eligeable voters vote (Democracy: method of majority rule), but that's OK
because it's just the homeless people who can't vote, they don't count.
A country SOOO free that at 18 years you can get drafted to kill foriegners
because their government doesn't opperate like yours, you can go out and by
an AK, BUT YOU'RE NOT OLD ENOUGH TO BUY A BEER!!!!!
A country where the citizens are SOOO fre that the minorities can only gain
employment because of legislation that forces people to hire them!
A country that is SOOO free that you have to be a rich bastard to go to a
good school.
And here in Canada, well... Aparently we are SOOO socialist, communist, red
and two faced that we are part of the G7 economic powers, despite having a
population 1/2 of the next larger member nation.
I think the only Soviet instict Canadians have is the desire for someone to
shut you goofs up before we die of laughter.

"All Americans are ignorant assholes" said the man. The guy next to him says
"Sir, I object to that comment!". Man replies "Why are you American?"
Reply "No, I'm an ignorant asshole".

Mike Phelan

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Just like George Bush bombing Baghdad, only Iraq killed about 0.001% of the
civilians the Yanks did.

Gregory Gyetko wrote in message

>I mean look at how the Japanese did it. They hit Pearl Harbour - they hit
>military target, wiped out all the ships that they could, killed a lot of
navy
>people. But how much damage did they do to the civilian population?
>
>You have to admit, bombing civilians is a terrorist act, just like Hitler
bombing
>London, just like Saddam and his scuds.
>
>Greg.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Richard

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Malcolm Baron wrote:

> > > Never trust a government that you can't shoot back at.
> >
> > Well I'll be damned there is a real paranoia thing going on here isn't
> > there. Sorry I didn't see it at first. Actually most armed coups just put
> > the same policies but with a different face in the government, not very
> > progressive if you ask me.
> >
> > tree...
>
> I am in no way argueing for an armed coup, in fact far from it. The point
> I am trying to make is that I don't want to suffer the same fate as: the
> Jews, Armenians, anti-soviet Russians, anti soviet anybody in the old east
> block. The Hutus, (or Tutsis or whoever) Anti- Fascist Germans, anti
> communist Chinese, the Kurds, Albanians, Algerians, etc etc. I am sure
> other rewades of this can add other groups who became the victims of their
> own governments to this list. What I am arguing is the same position as the

> drafters of the 2nd amendment. In a country where only the government has
> guns, the government can become dictatorial. This will not happen if the
> citizens can shoot back

Some "right to bear arms" advocate posted something a while back
about Hitler imposing gun control in Germany in 1936 as an example
of why gun control is a bad thing. However, what he neglected to
mention was that it was a well armed populace that was instrumental
in putting Hitler in power in the first place. Specifically,
the Nazis were backed by their own private militia, the
SA ("the brownshirts"), who carried out a bullying and terrorism
campaign to eliminate and/or silence their political opponents.
As I recall, other political parties in pre-1933 Germany, such as
the communists, also had militia's backing them. I consider the
militia movement in the US today to be much more of a threat
than a democratically elected government that has a well concieved
constitution to impose checks and balances on it (other than the
Germans, I don't think any of the countries you mentioned started
from a situation where a true democracy was replaced by a dictatorship;
they went from one autocracy to another). The cause of freedom is not
well served by allowing groups of violent people to run around
with automatic weapons while expressing the attitude : "democracy"
my way, or else!

If the US did become a dictatorship (which I think is extremely
unlikely),it is these private militias that would likely precipate
it.

Richard

Peter H. Proctor

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In article <3522BABC...@nospam.newbridge.com> Gregory Gyetko <ggy...@nospam.newbridge.com> writes:
>From: Gregory Gyetko <ggy...@nospam.newbridge.com>
>Subject: Re: Soviet Republic of Canada was Re: Firearms why carry them?
>Date: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 17:07:57 -0500

>Well, I've always wondered about the bombing of the city of Danzig.

Er, that's Dresden. It was bombed because Churchill wanted to impress the
Soviets with alleid firepower.

Big artsie
>place, no industry to speak of, but the Allies bombed the hell out of it anyway.

>OTOH, if the Brits *had* the bomb, I'd imagine they would have picked a place in
>the Ruhr valley - y'know where there was lots of *industry* and fewer *people*.
>It doesn't make sense to bomb civilians, rather indecent, really.

Actually, the British bomber campaign was primarily aimed at
disrupting the German war effort by "dehousing" industrial workers using area
bombing at night. The Americans at least made a pretense of "precision"
bombing of industrial targets by day and accepted a higher casualty rate for
it. After the war, the British commander "Bomber" Harris was partially
shunned for his role in what some British military leaders considered close to
a war crime.

And the "Dam Busters" in the Ruhr killed a lot of civilians when they
broke the dams.

>I mean look at how the Japanese did it. They hit Pearl Harbour - they hit a
>military target, wiped out all the ships that they could, killed a lot of navy
>people. But how much damage did they do to the civilian population?

Ever hear of the "Rape of Nanking" ? Hundreds of thousands of Chinese
civilians were killed in a terrorist attempt to get Chiang to negotiate.
and then there were asian women held in virtual slavery as protitutes, etc..
But I do go on.... Wierd thing was, in previous wars (such as that against
Russia), the Japanese had gone out of their way to play by the rules WRT
prisoners, etc.

>You have to admit, bombing civilians is a terrorist act, just like Hitler
>bombing London, just like Saddam and his scuds.

Some generals would agree with you...

Dr. P

Bubba

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998 17:09:27 -0600, "Mike Phelan" <umph...@cc.umanitoba.ca>
wrote:

I didn't hink it could happen, but, you've shown your ignorance of the
issues once again.

PLMerite

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Mike Phelan wrote in message <6fuhfl$6m1$1...@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca>...

>blah blah blah!

nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!!

>All this comming from the "land of the free" which is also home of the Kent
>State Tianenmen massacre, target of countles Amnesty International human
>rights campaigns, the place that is sooo free that you can get executed for
>expressing your oppinions (look up Julius Rosenburg) and where you can't
say
>that you don't like hamburgers.

Julius Rosenburg? You mean the traitorous atomic spy, Julius Rosenburg?
You're even farther off the deep end than I suspected.

>The land of the free, the bigest democracy on earth, where less than half
of
>eligeable voters vote (Democracy: method of majority rule), but that's OK
>because it's just the homeless people who can't vote, they don't count.

We're not a Democracy, we're a Representative Republic. And I haven't heard
anything about 'homeless people' since Clinton got elected...seems they all
magically disappeared.

>A country SOOO free that at 18 years you can get drafted to kill foriegners
>because their government doesn't opperate like yours, you can go out and by
>an AK, BUT YOU'RE NOT OLD ENOUGH TO BUY A BEER!!!!!

We haven't had the draft since 1973. And if you're in the military, they'll
GIVE you a fully-automatic weapon.

>A country where the citizens are SOOO fre that the minorities can only gain
>employment because of legislation that forces people to hire them!

Yes, let's hear it for Affirmative Action!!

>A country that is SOOO free that you have to be a rich bastard to go to a
>good school.

Yes, I want my taxes hiked up to the sky so some lazy jerkoff can send his
spawn to college at my expense.

>And here in Canada, well... Aparently we are SOOO socialist, communist, red
>and two faced that we are part of the G7 economic powers, despite having a
>population 1/2 of the next larger member nation.

But your heads are swelled enough to make up for it. They only let you in
to the G7 to keep you out of the Soviet Bloc.

>I think the only Soviet instict Canadians have is the desire for someone to
>shut you goofs up before we die of laughter.

That's 'Soviet instinct' enough to earn my contempt.

>"All Americans are ignorant assholes" said the man. The guy next to him
says
>"Sir, I object to that comment!". Man replies "Why are you American?"
>Reply "No, I'm an ignorant asshole".

Obviously that joke strikes some chord with you.

If you don't like America, stay up there. We promise not to come up there
and spend any of our money.

Regards, PLMerite

Theodore M. Seeber

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

On 1 Apr 1998, Charles Ellis wrote:

> Hmm. Typical Canadian ignorance of US history. Read Madison's, Franklin's
> and Jefferson's definition of a "militia"....

The definition does not support your viewpoint. The definition is the
same as our national guard today: An army of citizens that can be called
to defend the state in times of trouble.
Now while I'm not about to claim that only the national guard should have
guns, I will claim that the phrase "well regulated" seems to indicate that
people who own guns should be trained to use them properly and should also
be trained in the standard militia arts of following orders, marching in
formation, and enough different forms of communication that they can
coordinate with the federal army when neccessary.
Like to ignore the phrase "well regualted" or interpret it to mean
"everybody"?
Ted

coles

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

> All this comming from the "land of the free" which is also home of the Kent
> State Tianenmen massacre, target of countles Amnesty International human
> rights campaigns, the place that is sooo free that you can get executed for
> expressing your oppinions (look up Julius Rosenburg) and where you can't say
> that you don't like hamburgers.
> The land of the free, the bigest democracy on earth, where less than half of
> eligeable voters vote (Democracy: method of majority rule), but that's OK
> because it's just the homeless people who can't vote, they don't count.
> A country SOOO free that at 18 years you can get drafted to kill foriegners
> because their government doesn't opperate like yours, you can go out and by
> an AK, BUT YOU'RE NOT OLD ENOUGH TO BUY A BEER!!!!!
> A country where the citizens are SOOO fre that the minorities can only gain
> employment because of legislation that forces people to hire them!
> A country that is SOOO free that you have to be a rich bastard to go to a
> good school.

Dude- i'm glad someone else realizes this. We are just as jaded as we
say the Chinese were when they were following Mao and we are just as
sucked into propaganda as the Germans during the Third Reich. For a
while I thought I was going to be a left wing revolutionary when i grow
up (heh, i'm 13.)

If anyone wants to know more send me an email...i've got a collection of
text files on the subject...

BB

coles

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Heres another reason why america isn't all its cracked up to be.

Mike Phelan wrote:

> Just like George Bush bombing Baghdad, only Iraq killed about 0.001% of the
> civilians the Yanks did.
>
> Gregory Gyetko wrote in message
>

> >I mean look at how the Japanese did it. They hit Pearl Harbour - they hit
> >military target, wiped out all the ships that they could, killed a lot of
> navy
> >people. But how much damage did they do to the civilian population?
> >

> >You have to admit, bombing civilians is a terrorist act, just like Hitler
> bombing
> >London, just like Saddam and his scuds.
> >

> >Greg.

coles

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Robert Frenchu wrote:

> Note: In Mike Phelan's world, everything revolves around the
> consumption of alcohol. I hope this is not typical of Canadians.

Just because he uses alcohol as an example doesn't mean his world
revolvs around it. In your eagerness to defend our lying cheating
country and attack another, you failed to realize that he used alcohol
to provide perspective on america's priorities.

gruhn

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

>As the word "discipline" existed at the time, and as they were all
>relatively well-educated men, perhaps it's possible that if they
>*meant* discipline, they would've *wrote* discipline?

As they were well-educated perhaps it's possible that if they had wanted
they could throw together a sentence that would not manage to be the center
of the rationalizations for millions of people.

Malcolm Baron

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

> Look, if your government ever decides to use direct physical force against
> you, and can find men willing to do it, then they will walk through you
> like you're not there. They have tanks, wire-guided missiles, body armour,
> grenades, heavy machine guns, and sniper rifles than can blow you in half
> from (literally) a mile away.
>
> There is absolutely *nothing* you can do about such a dictatorial government
> except prevent it (or the military mindset which creates it) from forming in
> the first place.
>
> Any talk of combatting modern military hardware and training with a personal
> weapon is a joke.

Tell that to the Afgans, the Viet Cong, the Chechins, etc, etc....

Malcolm Baron

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

> Some "right to bear arms" advocate posted something a while back
> about Hitler imposing gun control in Germany in 1936 as an example
> of why gun control is a bad thing. However, what he neglected to
> mention was that it was a well armed populace that was instrumental
> in putting Hitler in power in the first place. Specifically,
> the Nazis were backed by their own private militia, the
> SA ("the brownshirts"), who carried out a bullying and terrorism
> campaign to eliminate and/or silence their political opponents.
> As I recall, other political parties in pre-1933 Germany, such as
> the communists, also had militia's backing them. I consider the
> militia movement in the US today to be much more of a threat
> than a democratically elected government that has a well concieved
> constitution to impose checks and balances on it (other than the
> Germans, I don't think any of the countries you mentioned started
> from a situation where a true democracy was replaced by a dictatorship;
> they went from one autocracy to another). The cause of freedom is not
> well served by allowing groups of violent people to run around
> with automatic weapons while expressing the attitude : "democracy"
> my way, or else!
>
> If the US did become a dictatorship (which I think is extremely
> unlikely),it is these private militias that would likely precipate
> it.
>
> Richard

I cannot argue with your facts, I agree with you on that. I think your
interpretation is wrong. I think Americans (I am actually a Canadian living in
Ottawa) have too much respect for democracy to stage a coup. I do not believe
that the "militia" groups attitude is ""democracy" my way or else!" as you do. I
believe that they do legitimately fear their government. I think some might be a
bit paranoid, but I do agree with some of their concerns.

Malcolm Baron

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

> If for some reason the government of the United States wanted to use
> military force against it's citizens, all the deer hunters and gun
> owners in the country would not be able to prevent it from completing
> it's mission.

The US Army couldn't handle the Viet Cong, and I think your average american
is better armed than they were. And don't forget, the American army is made
up of a lot of gun owning american citizens.

dolp...@megsinet.net

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98
to Richard

Looks like the age old do as I say not as I do syndrome!

> of why gun control is a bad thing. However, what he neglected to
> mention was that it was a well armed populace that was instrumental
> in putting Hitler in power in the first place. Specifically,
> the Nazis were backed by their own private militia, the
> SA ("the brownshirts"), who carried out a bullying and terrorism
>

> Richard

Malcolm Baron

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

> We dont have guns, we dont want guns, and we dont want jerks like you.
> the freedom to walk the streets without being shot. to know you wont be
> seeing a copper with a gun, is worth it beleive me.

Speak for yourself, I am an Englishman (expat, thank god) and I want guns. Are you
aware of the fact that you live in the most violent country in the civilized world
(in all classes of crime except murder, granted), and that your gun crime rate has
increased by 200% since your government enacted firearms laws that would ensure
that only the criminals would have guns. Are you aware of the fact that there is
now considerable debate about allowing all police personnel to carry guns, and that
are more and more armed response units coming on line all the time? Are you aware
of the fact that American and Canadian police departments are giving their old
"bullet proof vests" to English police departments, because they NEED them, and the
government is to politically correct to allow them to buy them?

I am sure there are places in your green and pleasant land where you would not
venture for fear of being beaten and robbed. If England is such a great place why
are there millions of expats? I don't see to many people immigrating TO England
(except from third world sh*t holes) but many take the opportunity to leave if
ever it presents itself.

The right to bear arms is what separates free men from slaves, subjects from
citizens, and the wolves from the sheep.

Francesca Carey

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Robert Frenchu wrote:

> Around Wed, 01 Apr 1998 18:46:03 +0000, the one and only coles

> Mike gets ALL his perspectives from alcohol.

You realize that it is responses life this that adds fuel to his
statements.

bob

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98
to Wuff, mba...@achilles.net

Wuff wrote:

> In <35217B50...@achilles.net> Malcolm Baron <mba...@achilles.net> writes:
>
> <large snip>
>
> > What I am arguing is the same position as the
> >drafters of the 2nd amendment. In a country where only the government has
> >guns, the government can become dictatorial. This will not happen if the
> >citizens can shoot back
>
> I have always wondered at this mindset : 'I've got a gun so I can defend
> myself'.
>
> Regards,
>
> Vin

Vinny,

You seem to be somewhat ignorant of the current state of affairs in this
country. Assuming the military will be allowed to engage in all out war
with the civilian population, it still won't be as easy as you think and
they would loose like they did in Vietnam. The US military would not be
permitted to destroy a city to "save" it. Unless the entire population
is rebelling, they could not justify leveling a town. If they did, the
entire population would decide to rebel. And if the "entire" population
was rebelling, then the military would be hard pressed to find any
soldiers willing to fight.

Speaking as a member of the military, I can tell you that most personnel
would be divided in deciding which side to fight for. Just as thousands
of US military personnel joined the Confederacy before the Civil War,
many would join the people if another civil war broke out. I would be
extremely reluctant to open fire on my hometown or invade an area where
I have family or friends. in fact, I would be more than inclined to
defend my hometown and family than attack.

The vast majority of firearm owners are either current or former
military. I am. My dad is. My grandfather was. Most have all received
that modern training you speak of. An article in a weekly defense
publication last year listed the results of a major US Army war game.
One side was high tech and had all the latest toys, while the other side
was using "obsolete" technology. At first the high tech army kicked ass
all over the low tech army, but that soon changed. The low tech army
targeted their opponents high tech equipment and after a while the
tables turned. The high tech army was dependant on their gear and when
it was knocked out they became sitting ducks for the low tech side. A
hand held GPS unit may allow you to know exactly where you are in the
world when it works, but if you don't know how to use LandNav and the
system goes down then you are fucked. The low tech army had low tech
radios that could easily be jammed or intercepted so they virtually
useless. The high tech army had high tech secure units that jumped
frequencies and were encrypted. To level the playing field the low tech
army just jammed the entire frequency spectrum. The low tech didn't
loose anything because their communications were already lost, but it
made their enemies high tech equipment useless too. Most of our
military's wonder weapons have known weaknesses and all you have to do
is exploit the weakness to defeat them. The majority of our wonder
weapons are not in the hands of the fields unit either. Did you know
that the majority of GPS units in Desert Storm were privately owned by
individual soldiers? That's right, the troops got over to the big sand
box and then called home to have mom send them a GPS unit out of US
Calvary or some other mail order magazine. In fact, some militia groups
have better gear than the average soldier has. While the government buys
from the lowest bidder, private individuals buy what they want.

Not to mention the old saying: "The enemies of my enemy, are my friends"
I think Iraq, Lybia, and countless other counties would go out of their
way to supply a rebel army within the US.

You should also remember that Timothy McVeigh was a decorated combat
veteran, and he certainly didn't support what the government is doing to
the people. He is not alone.

In May 1993, the General Accounting Office released a report concluding
there was "widespread theft of military small arms by defense
personnel." A case involving Michigan National Guardsmen linked them to
numerous weapon and equipment thefts for at least a five year period. In
San Diego California an unarmed man off the street was able to walk on
to a base and steal a tank. Not an armored vehicle, but a real live,
honest-to-goodness TANK. What could an attacking squad of men obtain?
How many times has the IRA raided British armories and installations?
What about the "training" missile that were hijacked while in transport
last summer.

A September 1996 Orange County law enforcement intelligence bulletin
advised that a Southern California Southeast Asian gang called the Tiny
Rascal Gang (TRG) had issued a contract to kill two local policemen. The
bulletin advised that the gang had access to stolen military C-4
explosives, grenades, small arms, and even LAWs rockets.

I believe NewsWeek(or a magazine like that) did a feature story on the
illegal sale of military equipment as demilitarized surplus scrap. They
documented a series of sales that made it possible for several people to
obtain military aircraft and vehicles (Cobra helicopters, Phantoms,
Intruders, Hueys, etc...) by purchasing scrap components seperately and
then putting it all back together. They also documented that China had
been able to obtain classified and sensitive nonclassified electronic
components by buying piles of parts labelled as scrap.

CONCLUSIONS:
(+) The full force of the military could not be brought to bear on the
people without extreme consequences
(+) The military itself will be divided over this issue
(+) The military's wonder weapons are not as wonderful as their
propaganda leads you to believe
(+) Many rebels would have the same training, knowledge, and equipment
as the US military
(+) Rebels would be aided by enemies of the US
(+) Military weapons could be captured
(+) Military weapons and equipment are already in the hands of
civilians

Steve Hix

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In article <6fsctc$j2a$1...@news.sas.ab.ca>, cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca () wrote:

> Bill.B (bi...@hrtc.net) wrote:
>
> : >*If* you're part of a regulated militia -- better read your own
> : >documents, floppo.
>
> : "Well Regulated" as written in the 2nd Amendment, in the time it was
> : written meant "Well Disciplined", FLOPPO!!!!!!
>

> As the word "discipline" existed at the time, and as they were all
> relatively well-educated men, perhaps it's possible that if they
> *meant* discipline, they would've *wrote* discipline?

They would have, if they had intended to use discipline.

"Well-regulated" includes more than just "discipline", although in
part "self- disciplined" is included.

Check the OED to see some examples of contemporaneous use of
the term, covering things as disparate as watch adjustment and
appetite.

Steve Hix

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

> > If for some reason the government of the United States wanted to use
> > military force against it's citizens, all the deer hunters and gun
> > owners in the country would not be able to prevent it from completing
> > it's mission.
>
> The US Army couldn't handle the Viet Cong,

Weeeelll...the VC weren't a factor to any significance after Tet in '68.

The NVA made sure that they didn't recover afterward, either.

> and I think your average american
> is better armed than they were. And don't forget, the American army is made
> up of a lot of gun owning american citizens.

And lots of veterans back in the civilian population.

Steve Hix

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In article <6ftmd2$2...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>,

pmze...@worldnet.att.net (Paul M. Zeller) wrote:

> If for some reason the government of the United States wanted to use
> military force against it's citizens, all the deer hunters and gun
> owners in the country would not be able to prevent it from completing
> it's mission.

Tell that to the Viet Namese, Chechens, Afghans, ...

Steve Hix

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

In article <6fsrtg$q...@web3.tcd.ie>, vcun...@tcd.ie (Wuff) wrote:

> Any talk of combatting modern military hardware and training with a personal
> weapon is a joke.

The U.S. military doesn't think so.

Urban insurrection in particular is *hard* to deal with, and if the
government decided to wage war on its own citizens, you can
bet that the military would be *seriously* divided on the issue.

Don Staples

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

coles wrote:

> Robert Frenchu wrote:
>
> > Note: In Mike Phelan's world, everything revolves around the
> > consumption of alcohol. I hope this is not typical of Canadians.
>
> Just because he uses alcohol as an example doesn't mean his world
> revolvs around it. In your eagerness to defend our lying cheating
> country and attack another, you failed to realize that he used alcohol
> to provide perspective on america's priorities.

And you gained all this from the introspection of your vast 13 years?
--
Don Staples
UIN 4653335

My Ego Stroke: http://www.livingston.net/dstaples/

Kerry Delf

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98
to cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

[posted and cc'd]

On 1 Apr 1998 cz...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote:

> Kerry Delf (kd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu) wrote:
>
> : *What* army, little self-appointed czar? If the Canadians (to continue
> : the example) had "solved" the problem of violence by getting rid of all
> : the guns, how in hell is the military armed to defend the country?
>
> Only an abymally stupid blithering fuckwit would think that the gun
> control would extend to the armed forces.
>
> Oh, hi, Kerry! -- I was just talking about you!

*I'm* a "fuckwit"? Christ on a stick, you are dim, aren't you?

My entire POINT was that truly getting rid of all the guns would require
removing them from the hands of military and police forces as well as
those of the civilians; that failure to do so would not be full removal
of guns from society (not that such is achievable in any case); that
failure to do so would furthermore create a totalitarian State, or a State
which is likely to become totalitarian; and that true full removal of
firearms from the hands of law-abiding citizens (criminals don't show up
at gun turn-ins), including the military, would leave the State open to
outside invasion and internal insurrection (by the armed criminals, no
doubt).

"Get rid of all the guns" and "stop manufacturing guns" means just that:
"get rid of all the guns" and "stop manufacturing guns." Civilian vs.
agent of the State doesn't come into it. I guess your inability to
comprehend standard written English makes YOU the "abysmally stupid
blithering fuckwit," doesn't it?

I've already said all this quite clearly. You are an idiot.

K.Delf

<kd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu>

--
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better
than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask
not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds
you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that
you were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

Steve Hix

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

You snipped the bit conceding that quite a few other parties had their
own "militae", particularly the Communists.

Out side of those groups, though, Germans in general were not particularly
well armed, at least not after the Weimar period.

Kerry Delf

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98
to Wuff

[posted and cc'd]

On 1 Apr 1998, Wuff wrote:

> Malcolm Baron <mba...@achilles.net> writes:
>
> > What I am arguing is the same position as the drafters of the 2nd
> > amendment. In a country where only the government has guns, the
> > government can become dictatorial. This will not happen if the
> > citizens can shoot back
>
> I have always wondered at this mindset : 'I've got a gun so I can defend
> myself'.
>
> Look, if your government ever decides to use direct physical force
> against you, and can find men willing to do it, then they will walk
> through you like you're not there. They have tanks, wire-guided
> missiles, body armour, grenades, heavy machine guns, and sniper rifles
> than can blow you in half from (literally) a mile away.

A good argument for guerrila warfare tactics.

> There is absolutely *nothing* you can do about such a dictatorial
> government except prevent it (or the military mindset which creates it)
> from forming in the first place.
>

> Any talk of combatting modern military hardware and training with a
> personal weapon is a joke.

The issue, it seems to me, isn't really about defending ourselves against
totalitarian government forces in a pitched battle. That would have been
possible at the time of the writing of the 2nd Amendment, and should still
be possible today (although even if it weren't for unconstitutional arms
control laws, the cost of, say, a personal tank, would still be
prohibitive for most of the common folk).

What REALLY is happening today is that the simple fact that half of
American citizens are armed, in and of itself, keeps the cops and other
government forces in check, to a certain degree. Sure, there are still
injustices perpetrated, but we are MUCH safer than we would be in a
disarmed society. Why? No cop WANTS to get shot. And because no cop
wants to get shot, in an armed and free society, s/he will often refrain
from kicking in your door unannounced, or roughing you up without cause,
because s/he KNOWS that you may well be capable of defending yourself.

As for myself, to be honest, I'm much more concerned about the rapist or
other assailant on the street, than I am about the cops -- I'm white,
female, middle-class, conservative looking, and live in a decent
neighborhood, so I can be *reasonably* sure the cops are on my side; I
carry a gun to defend myself against civilian creeps, not the cops. On an
ideological and theoretical note, however, I also exercise my right to
keep and bear arms merely because I think it's important to exercise our
rights, also recognizing that, despite the importance of all ten
amendments in our Bill of Rights, it is the Second Amendment which upholds
all the rest.

> Regards,
>
> Vin

Don Staples

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

Mike Phelan wrote:

The same arrogant bullshit, semi-correct in part, largely his
imagination.

So, the movement of citizens is in which direction looking for jobs,
opportunities, and a better life? The Canadians that aren't good little
serfs come south, leaving you socialistic free loaders on the Queens
tit. So, tell me, how much of your college bill are you paying? What
is your unimployment rate? What is the source of your National taxes,
and at what rate? Whats your average percapita income? And best of all,
what are your criminal statistics?

Kerry Delf

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

On 31 Mar 1998, Julia R. Cochrane wrote:

> Why?
>
> Because if people want me not to carry one so badly that they'll
> lie their asses off to me about it, and those same people are
> mad because I'm good at what I do and make a lot of money and
> would dearly love to take it all away from me, and those same
> people are mad because I say what I think *especially* when I
> know they don't like it, and those same people are mad at me
> because I want to teach my kid what her dad and I think instead
> of blithely sending them in to be indoctrinated by them, then I
> can take that as a pretty good hint that the time is not far off
> when I'm going to need those firearms.

<chuckle> Interesting answer.

I, for one, *CARRY* a gun for self-protection, mainly against the
possiblity of assault on the street. I *OWN* guns partly because, well,
gosh, I like thm, and partly because I see the importance of exercising
our Constitutional rights.

Despite the strength of my political convictions, I suspect I would never
carry a gun regularly solely for political reasons; it's impractical and
a bit of a pain (you big guys out there just don't understand how hard it
is to conceal a handgun on a 5'6", 120-lb. frame, while wearing
tailored/close-fitting clothing).

> Or, as someone I used to know once said, "I don't get the whole
> idea of bondage. If I'm going to like what they're going to do to me
> so much, why do they think they need to tie me up?"
>
> Julie

tree

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

> The right to bear arms is what separates free men from slaves, subjects
> from
> citizens, and the wolves from the sheep.

No the *need* to bear arms is what separates the free men from the
slaves.....

"His obsession is like that of compulsive eaters who gulp their food
without tasting it or those who drink to excess without ever discovering
the mystery of the grape."
Isabel Allende 'Aphrodite'

tree

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

> Around Wed, 1 Apr 1998 17:09:27 -0600, the one and only "Mike Phelan"

> wrote:
>

> >A country SOOO free that at 18 years you can get drafted to kill
> foriegners
> >because their government doesn't opperate like yours, you can go out and
> by
> >an AK, BUT YOU'RE NOT OLD ENOUGH TO BUY A BEER!!!!!
>

> Note: In Mike Phelan's world, everything revolves around the
> consumption of alcohol. I hope this is not typical of Canadians.

Of course it is take a look at our micobreweries, I myself make a
killer Dark Honey Ale that would temper any invading army. My approcote
ale is so palatable that the sun comes out just for a sip of it.

Robert Frenchu

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Around Wed, 1 Apr 1998 17:09:27 -0600, the one and only "Mike Phelan"
<umph...@cc.umanitoba.ca> wrote:

<SNIP>

>A country SOOO free that at 18 years you can get drafted to kill foriegners
>because their government doesn't opperate like yours, you can go out and by
>an AK, BUT YOU'RE NOT OLD ENOUGH TO BUY A BEER!!!!!

<SNIP>

Note: In Mike Phelan's world, everything revolves around the
consumption of alcohol. I hope this is not typical of Canadians.

Will Mike Phelan EVER reveal his source for
the "U.N. says Canada is a great place to live"
quote? I doubt it.

Shez

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

In article <352258F9...@bright.net>, David Brickner
<dave...@bright.net> writes
>It is a telling fact that the people in England are called "subjects" as
>opposed to citizens. Those in canada and Australia have been holding on
>to the apron strings of the queen for too long. They have turned over
>their guns meekly because they just don't know any better. There must be
>a few espeially in Quebec and Rural Australia who haven't cooperated
>with the tyranny against freedom forced on their countries, but probably
>not many. Germany just bought out Rolls Royce so I guess they are at
>last winning the war. At least we won't have to save Englands ass again
>likw we did in WW2. The sun HAS set on the British empire..........

Save whos ass, you were in the war because of japan not us. and because
if Germany won, your hold on world markets would have toppled, it was as
much an economic war for America as anything.
We dont have guns, we dont want guns, and we dont want jerks like you.
the freedom to walk the streets without being shot. to know you wont be
seeing a copper with a gun, is worth it beleive me.

And as for subjects dont be a jerk I am no more subject to the Queen
than you are to your president. in fact less so.
The British empire is old hat, and your living in the past my dear. you
would Do better to worry about Europe, which Britain is now part of,
than the British Empire,
now that could seriously damage your economic markets.
I notice that although you supposedly won the war with japan, they still
export huge amounts to America, and yet keep closed markets in Japan
itself. it says everything dousnt it. next time you decide to boast,
take a look at history,
--
NOTICE: This e-mail address is being spoofed on USENET. Obvious trolls and
needlessly incendiary remarks should be ignored. All authentic

Robert Frenchu

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Around Wed, 01 Apr 1998 18:37:49 +0000, the one and only coles
<ell...@cafemagnolia.com> wrote:

>Heres another reason why america isn't all its cracked up to be.
>
>Mike Phelan wrote:
>> Just like George Bush bombing Baghdad, only Iraq killed about 0.001% of the
>> civilians the Yanks did.
>> Gregory Gyetko wrote in message
>> >I mean look at how the Japanese did it. They hit Pearl Harbour - they hit

>> >military target, wiped out all the ships that they could, killed a lot of
>> navy
>> >people. But how much damage did they do to the civilian population?
>> >
>> >You have to admit, bombing civilians is a terrorist act, just like Hitler
>> bombing
>> >London, just like Saddam and his scuds.
>> >
>> >Greg.

Hey Mikey! Looks like you got yourself a groupie!

Robert Frenchu

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

<ell...@cafemagnolia.com> wrote:

>Robert Frenchu wrote:
>
>> Note: In Mike Phelan's world, everything revolves around the
>> consumption of alcohol. I hope this is not typical of Canadians.
>

>Just because he uses alcohol as an example doesn't mean his world
>revolvs around it. In your eagerness to defend our lying cheating
>country and attack another, you failed to realize that he used alcohol
>to provide perspective on america's priorities.

Mike gets ALL his perspectives from alcohol.

DarkAngel

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

> I had to answer this due to the fact the person here seems to be from the
> Soviet Republic of Canada. I doubt that most Canadians knows what "rights"
> are. Poor oppressed surfs.

What, and you think that the average American even knows the meaning of the
word? Man, you must be pretty delusional. But I suppose you're pretty comfy
in your chair, in front of your computer, thinking life is so great, not
thinking one second about the people in your country that live in the
street because of ultra-capitalists lobbying the government every day for
one more bite of the shrinking pie. Do you think that guy that can't even
pay his rent every month is more free than me? Do you think he can make
choices, do you think he really have freedom of speech? And even if he
does, do you think someone even listens to him?

Now, I don't say my country is any better. But try to see what's wrong in
your backyard before looking in mine.

--
"We have the ability (and the duty!) to do the right thing without the
rhetoric of dogmas, the threat of hierarchies or the fear of some old coot

-Propagandhi

To Reply: jptheria AT interlinx DOT qc DOT ca

Eric C. Sanders D.D.

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Theodore M. Seeber wrote:

> On 1 Apr 1998, Charles Ellis wrote:
>
> > Hmm. Typical Canadian ignorance of US history. Read Madison's, Franklin's
> > and Jefferson's definition of a "militia"....
>
> The definition does not support your viewpoint. The definition is the
> same as our national guard today: An army of citizens that can be called
> to defend the state in times of trouble.
> Now while I'm not about to claim that only the national guard should have
> guns, I will claim that the phrase "well regulated" seems to indicate that
> people who own guns should be trained to use them properly and should also
> be trained in the standard militia arts of following orders, marching in
> formation, and enough different forms of communication that they can
> coordinate with the federal army when neccessary.
> Like to ignore the phrase "well regualted" or interpret it to mean
> "everybody"?
> Ted

Sorry, Ted, the Founders used the word "militia" the same
way that the United States Code uses it today: to refer
to two groups: the organized militia (of which the modern
National Guard is one example), sometimes called a "select
militia" in the constitutional debates, and the unorganized
militia, which comprises all male citizens between the ages
of 17 and 45, and the female officers of the National Guard
and Naval Militia - a proud unorganization from which I was
retired at no pay a mere three years ago. Pardon the levity,
but everyone's so damned serious around here, even when
slandering each other.
The National Guard was established under the Congress's power
to raise armies (see the law), not under its power to call
out the militia. The federal government has first dibs on
the NG's time.
Congratulations on your discussion of "well regulated", though:
you're bang on. Alas, Elbridge Gerry was right: the standing
army has so eclipsed the militia that such "regulation" has
largely been abandoned, except at the ROTC level - which doesn't
help the rank and file of the militia.
--
se...@ameritech.net
"No matter where you go - there you are." Dr Buckaroo Banzai

Wm James

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998 15:07:26 -0800, Kerry Delf <kd...@gladstone.uoregon.edu>
wrote:

)>
)>[posted and cc'd]
)>
)>
)>On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, tree wrote:
)>
[...]

Amen.

BTW I made my first firearm when I was about 8 years old.

William R. James

Wm James

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

)> 36 And He said to them, "But now, let him who has a purse take it along,
)> likewise also a bag, and let him who has no sword sell his robe and
)>buy one.

In many areas, if a man walks around disrobed, he better have a weapon. :)

William R. James

Wm James

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

)>*If* you're part of a regulated militia -- better read your own
)>documents, floppo.

We also have rules of punctuation.

If you would take the time to read it you might notice that the reasoning
refers to the need for the people to be armed and experienced. It has
nothing to do with the government's "right to regulate" arms as the customs
followed by the signor of the document clearly demonstrates.

William R. James

Eric C. Sanders D.D.

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Stick around a while, pal, and you'll build a stack
of memories that make your text files look like bed-
time stories.

I'm 48.

coles wrote:

> > All this comming from the "land of the free" which is also home of the Kent
> > State Tianenmen massacre, target of countles Amnesty International human
> > rights campaigns, the place that is sooo free that you can get executed for
> > expressing your oppinions (look up Julius Rosenburg) and where you can't say
> > that you don't like hamburgers.
> > The land of the free, the bigest democracy on earth, where less than half of
> > eligeable voters vote (Democracy: method of majority rule), but that's OK
> > because it's just the homeless people who can't vote, they don't count.

> > A country SOOO free that at 18 years you can get drafted to kill foriegners
> > because their government doesn't opperate like yours, you can go out and by
> > an AK, BUT YOU'RE NOT OLD ENOUGH TO BUY A BEER!!!!!

> > A country where the citizens are SOOO fre that the minorities can only gain
> > employment because of legislation that forces people to hire them!
> > A country that is SOOO free that you have to be a rich bastard to go to a
> > good school.
>
> Dude- i'm glad someone else realizes this. We are just as jaded as we
> say the Chinese were when they were following Mao and we are just as
> sucked into propaganda as the Germans during the Third Reich. For a
> while I thought I was going to be a left wing revolutionary when i grow
> up (heh, i'm 13.)
>
> If anyone wants to know more send me an email...i've got a collection of
> text files on the subject...
>
> BB

Eric C. Sanders D.D.

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

gruhn wrote:

> >As the word "discipline" existed at the time, and as they were all
> >relatively well-educated men, perhaps it's possible that if they
> >*meant* discipline, they would've *wrote* discipline?
>
> As they were well-educated perhaps it's possible that if they had wanted
> they could throw together a sentence that would not manage to be the center
> of the rationalizations for millions of people.

You're in the neighborhood of a good point, sir: had the
Constitution or Bill of Rights included an article such
as "Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of
education", the state of learning now common might be much
better than it is, and more people might have learned enough
decent respect for history that they would actually read
what those who wrote and supported the basic documents of
the country actually said and meant.

Therion Ware

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

On Wed, 01 Apr 1998 21:09:08 -0800, stev...@safemail.com (Steve Hix)
decided to say, in alt.atheism, using 9 valuable lines of text:

Just in passing, I wonder if the average citizen of the United States
would be willing to give up life's little luxuries to wage a guerilla
war against the government.

-----
Hell Is A City Much Like Dis, and it's Pandemonium; for "why this is Hell, nor am I out of it".
------ ------
Visit The City of Dis at: <http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6671/index.html>
See The Banned Banner at: <http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/6671/linkx/banner.html>
------
remove .eac from address to send email. Site updated: 30 Mar 1998 - 08:10 GMT.

Therion Ware

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

On Wed, 01 Apr 1998 21:10:47 -0800, stev...@safemail.com (Steve Hix)
decided to say, in alt.atheism, using 10 valuable lines of text:

>In article <6fsrtg$q...@web3.tcd.ie>, vcun...@tcd.ie (Wuff) wrote:
>

>> Any talk of combatting modern military hardware and training with a personal
>> weapon is a joke.
>

>The U.S. military doesn't think so.
>
>Urban insurrection in particular is *hard* to deal with, and if the
>government decided to wage war on its own citizens, you can
>bet that the military would be *seriously* divided on the issue.

Does anyone know if there's ever been a case of a significant fraction
of an army refusing to obey orders, no matter how terrible?

Mike Phelan

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Maybe so Frenchu, but that's my RIGHT in Canada. I have the RIGHT to go to
any establishment I want and order any beverage I want. If I was 18 years
old in the States, I wouldn't have that option would I? Why's that? It's
because you're more FREE than me isn't it? It's because my government is
more controlling than yours isn't it? Or maybe it's because the ONLY freedom
you people have is the right to own a gun. Maybe that's why you defend it so
irrationally.

Robert Frenchu wrote in message <3528e8c9....@news.redshift.com>...

>Around Wed, 01 Apr 1998 18:46:03 +0000, the one and only coles
><ell...@cafemagnolia.com> wrote:
>
>>Robert Frenchu wrote:
>>
>>> Note: In Mike Phelan's world, everything revolves around the
>>> consumption of alcohol. I hope this is not typical of Canadians.
>>
>>Just because he uses alcohol as an example doesn't mean his world
>>revolvs around it. In your eagerness to defend our lying cheating
>>country and attack another, you failed to realize that he used alcohol
>>to provide perspective on america's priorities.
>>
>Mike gets ALL his perspectives from alcohol.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Khill

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Wuff <vcun...@tcd.ie> wrote in article <6fsrtg$q...@web3.tcd.ie>...
> In <35217B50...@achilles.net> Malcolm Baron <mba...@achilles.net>
writes:

> <large snip>

> > What I am arguing is the same position as the
> >drafters of the 2nd amendment. In a country where only the government
has
> >guns, the government can become dictatorial. This will not happen if
the
> >citizens can shoot back
>
> I have always wondered at this mindset : 'I've got a gun so I can defend
> myself'.

> (snip)

> There is absolutely *nothing* you can do about such a dictatorial
government
> except prevent it (or the military mindset which creates it) from forming
in
> the first place.
>

> Any talk of combatting modern military hardware and training with a
personal
> weapon is a joke.

Good points. Have you seen the Watts part of Los Angeles lately? Still
burned out, from what I hear. If a bunch of citizens raised up against the
feds, their home area would end up looking like that. How much tax money
would be collected there? Do you think that the incumbents would still be
in power after?

The threat of some yo-yo's pulling a Samson-in-the-temple should give the
pol's pause. The citizens would not win, but neither would the politicians.

I think that the bureaucrats are a serious danger, tho.

Excellent points below.
Bama Brian <bamaNO...@psionworld.net> wrote in article
<uNKz2cT...@nih2naab.prod2.compuserve.com>...

Brenda, as an ex-army officer I can assure you that
the worst resistance a standing army can ever face is
the resistance given by an armed, faceless guerrilla
opponent based in the incalculable hidey-holes and
warrens of a city. Yes, you can destroy cities. But you
cannot ever make them productive again. Nor can you
ever hope to sway the general populace to your cause
once you've done this.

~Ed Howdershelt

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

I rode a bike in D/FW for years. Carried a measly little mouse gun - a
.22 revolver with a 4 inch barrel - when riding anywhere. Had to use it
to dissuade a truck playing chicken with me once. Popped two closest
rear tires as he tried to shove me off the road. Had to use it another
time when a carload of Mexicans thought it would be great fun to do the
same thing. Only had to pop one tire on their car. Never had to shoot
into the car, even when the Mexicans pointed a shotgun at me. In each
case, I went to the nearest exit (both incidents on I-30) and reported
them to the cops. Didn't give my name, just let them know what had
happened.
Gun control is reasoning ability and rational target acquisition and the
ability to hit your target.
I'd rather go to court than a morgue or hospital.

Mutt wrote:
> This Friday, April 3, I will be 21 years old. The legal age to have a
> concealed weapon liscence in Texas. The minute I get the liscence, I will
> be carrying a 2 bullet derringer in my glove box because the D/FW metro
> area (Or any place for that matter) is not a very safe place to be in.
--
Wicca Works! at: http://www.atlantic.net/~wiccan/
(distributors) http://members.tripod.com/~wiccan1/index.htm

~Ed Howdershelt

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Agreed. Like Cromwell said, "An American behind every damned bush..."
Matthew T. Russotto wrote:

> In article <6fsrtg$q...@web3.tcd.ie>, Wuff <vcun...@tcd.ie> wrote:
>
> }Look, if your government ever decides to use direct physical force against
> }you, and can find men willing to do it, then they will walk through you
> }like you're not there.
>
> No, they won't. They will inflict terrible casualties, but they will
> not come out unscathed.
> --
> Matthew T. Russotto russ...@pond.com
> "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice, and moderation in pursuit
> of justice is no virtue."

Karen McFarlin

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

> > If for some reason the government of the United States wanted to use
> > military force against it's citizens, all the deer hunters and gun
> > owners in the country would not be able to prevent it from completing
> > it's mission.
>

> The US Army couldn't handle the Viet Cong, and I think your average american
> is better armed than they were. And don't forget, the American army is made
> up of a lot of gun owning american citizens.

The average American citzen keeps an RPG or an RPD under his bed? How
about a 122mm rocket or an 82mm mortar? Maybe a SAM or two in the
Winabago?

Apparently you don't know very much about the Vietnam War. I've seen the
overweight/over-age militia types posturing in their camo-jamos and I was
an infantryman in Vietnam (class of 67) - and buddy, Charlie would eat
their sorry asses alive. It's one thing to talk Rambo from the safety of
the neighborhood target range, and another to stare the beast eye-to-eye.

If you didn't go - you don't know.

Cairns

~Ed Howdershelt

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Rangrrik, get some practical experience in these matters.
I have the training to hold a platoon at bay with an M-16 in minimal
cover. I can use the terrain for concealment and set traps using single
rounds that will remove feet. Put yourself in the platoon that just lost
3 guys in 30 seconds to me. Do you want to be a hero today? Get real.
You come in tanks, you meet traps that burn hot.
You come on foot, you lose feet and more.
You come in numbers, you lose numbers.
Helicopters? I know what to hit.
Jets? Now you have a chance if you're willing to napalm a neighborhood
to get me.
Ask any REAL Ranger, Green Beret, Seal, or even those of us who had to
spend weeks at a time in the bush. You DON'T want to have to come in
after us.

rangrrik wrote:
> > Any talk of combatting modern military hardware and training with a personal
> > weapon is a joke.

> Ahem. Tell that to the Chaddians who took on Lybian T-62 tanks in Toyota
> Four-Runners. Tell that to the Afghans that took on Soviet tanks and
> helicopters with hand-made rifles. Tell that to the Vietcong, the Moros
> in the Phillipines and EVERY SINGLE guerilla force that tied up armies a
> thousand times their size throughout history.

Vampire

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

have either of you Canadians been to America, just curious
Vampi

It is loading more messages.