Robert Kaplan ???

Len McLaughlin

Feb 3, 2002, 12:35:42 PM2/3/02
I was impressed by an interview on CBC with a Robert Kaplan even though he
was pushing his book , "Warrior Politics". A 20 minute interview doesn't
give a full picture but he sounded like he knew what he was talking about.
Any of you scholars know anything about this guy and his views?
Regards...

AutoWorker

Feb 3, 2002, 4:25:00 PM2/3/02
I know he receives a far amount of money for various right-wing groups in
the USA. Try the following link:

http://www.mediatransparency.org/

"Len McLaughlin" <len...@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message

Len McLaughlin

Feb 3, 2002, 6:41:10 PM2/3/02

AutoWorker <Dit...@excite.com> wrote in message

> I know he receives a far amount of money for various right-wing groups in
> the USA. Try the following link:
>
> http://www.mediatransparency.org/

"Right-wing,"eh, maybe that's why I liked him. (:-) Interesting link as
long as you stay wise to their manipulations of fact and fiction. (And
cagey move on your part.) (:-) However, if you didn't take a critical
approach and accepted everything at face value, you'd end up completely
brainwashed like young Walker.
Rest assured, all the faults in the system exist under all governments, in
all countries, with just a change in names. As long as you keep their
agenda in mind, there is some interesting stuff that doesn't get much media
time, maybe simply because the general public is not interested.
--
I generally favor the Bush approach to world realities, maybe because of the
smart men around him. However,I never did like his idea of faith based
initiatives or his ideas on Social Security and I see both of them may be in
trouble. This is something I haven't read anywhere else.
Many of the problems they dwell on here is due to how we fund our politics,
suggesting finance reform is long over due in both countries. Until this
happens its next to impossible for any politician to act independently. I
see Broad Bent and co. is proposing funding rule changes here in Canada
similar to BC and Quebec. This is where the public should get off their ass
and demand changes.
Finance reform in the US is slow because the Republicans don't want to give
up funds from big business without the Democrats giving up their union
funding. There is always two sides to every story.
--
Thanks again for the link but I didn't find anything on my man yet. Nice
try though and I do like mind games.

E. Barry Bruyea

Feb 3, 2002, 6:50:39 PM2/3/02
On Sun, 3 Feb 2002 16:25:00 -0500, "AutoWorker" <Dit...@excite.com>
wrote:

>I know he receives a far amount of money for various right-wing groups in
>the USA. Try the following link:
>
>http://www.mediatransparency.org/

\

You mean the organization that listed so called 'conservative'
journalist or pundits who received money from Enron, but failed to
list the 'liberal' reporters who also received money from Enron? And
they call it "Media Transparency." Just more left wing hypocrisy.
It's almost a requirment now. If you call yourself liberal or left
wing, you also have to be a hypocrite.

Russil Wvong

Feb 4, 2002, 4:46:30 PM2/4/02

He's a contributing editor at the Atlantic Monthly, specializing in the
Third World. I'd say he knows what he's talking about -- he's travelled
a lot -- but tends to take a pessimistic ("realist") view.

"I would be unfaithful to my experience if I thought we had a
general solution to these problems," Kaplan writes in "The Ends
of the Earth." "We are not in control. As societies grow more
populous and complex, the idea that a global elite like the
U.N. can engineer reality from above is just as absurd as the
idea that political 'scientists' can reduce any of this to a
science. In an age of localized mini-holocausts, decisive action
in one sphere will not necessarily help the victims in another.
Only in a few cases will an organization like the U.N. make a
truly pivotal difference."
[http://www.salon.com/people/bc/2001/04/17/kaplan/print.html]

Apparently he was more influential than he realized:

Some can't hear the name Robert Kaplan without blaming him for
the delay in U.S. intervention in the Bosnian war. A journalist
could only dream of having so much influence. And yet, without
his even knowing it at the time (he was in Turkey and Azerbaijan
then), Kaplan's third -- and what has become his most controversial --
book, "Balkan Ghosts: A Journey Through History," made its way onto
the bedside table of a new U.S. president, Bill Clinton, and
was reported to have played a role in spooking him from putting
troops in Bosnia. ...

Although Kaplan describes "Balkan Ghosts" as an entertaining
journalistic travel book, the role it played in shaping policy
seems to have deeply affected him. In reading Kaplan's later
books ("The Ends of the Earth," "An Empire Wilderness: Travels
into America's Future," "The Coming Anarchy: Shattering the
Dreams of the Post Cold War," "Eastward to Tartary"), I was
struck with just how much his writing has changed, and how
conscious he seems to have become of the effect his words could
have on policy. Gone is some of the lyricism, some of the sheer
joy in adventure. Newly present is an invisible audience of
army officers, intelligence analysts and Foreign Affairs
subscribers.
[http://www.salon.com/people/bc/2001/04/17/kaplan/print.html]

One of his best-known articles is "The Coming Anarchy":
[http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/foreign/anarcf.htm]

Another is "Was Democracy a Moment?"
[http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/97dec/democ.htm]

Russil Wvong
Vancouver, BC
www.geocities.com/rwvong

Len McLaughlin

Feb 6, 2002, 10:07:45 AM2/6/02

Russil Wvong <russi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "Len McLaughlin" <len...@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:
> > I was impressed by an interview on CBC with a Robert Kaplan even though
he

> He's a contributing editor at the Atlantic Monthly, specializing in the
> Third World. I'd say he knows what he's talking about -- he's travelled
> a lot -- but tends to take a pessimistic ("realist") view.

==
Thanks, Russil. Just your little write-up gives me a good picture of him.
Sounds like an interesting man. Thanks again,
Regards..
==