SpeedStream 5200 Firmware?!?!

Doug Mitton

Mar 10, 2007, 11:30:49 AM3/10/07

I have just acquired an old Speedstream 5200 (E240) DSL modem that I'd
like to get configured as a backup and test device.

Does anyone have a URL for updated firmware that will allow it to work
at full (5 Meg) speed on Sympatico?

Where it was originally installed it tested at 4.5Meg speed as did my
6520 modem. (Then I foolishly (?) downloaded the Router firmware and
now I can't get it back to full speed.)

But at my house my 6520 runs at full speed (4 Meg) BUT all I can get
out of the 5200 is 1.5Meg.

I have tried the firmware available at DSL Reports but that update
utility just keep saying "No Update Required".

I have tried the firmware listed at hardwaresecrets.com (that
activates bridged and router mode) and I have tried the old (original)
ALLTell firmware, same result, 1.5 Meg. I think I need the DSL-2 or
G.DMT enabled firmware.

Any pointers? TIA!

Tony

Mar 10, 2007, 1:40:32 PM3/10/07
http://www.alltel.net/downloads/links/5200upgrade/ Haven't phoned that
1-888 number yet because i use a cisco modem.
http://home.alltel.net/slashdot/5200update.html I don't know if this one
is for the E240 or not the picture on the web page looks like it though.
Here is bell's shit
http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/sympat/2.1_Speedstream_5200

Here's some other shit as you can see the 5200 has been discontinued
probably because the modem never ever works. The forums can tell you how
to tweak the magpie to at least help it to run a bit better and cooler.
http://whirlpool.net.au/index.cfm?a=h_view&model_id=395

Tony

Mar 10, 2007, 1:43:40 PM3/10/07
Try a real isp other than sympatico or rogers to obtain and upgrade key.
This won't seem to resolve with my isp.
http://www.joninlondon.co.uk/temp/SpeedStream-5200-firmware-upgrade-key.html

Tony

Mar 10, 2007, 1:47:20 PM3/10/07
Here's some shit from november 2004.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article.php?id=84

Tony

Mar 10, 2007, 1:48:53 PM3/10/07

Doug Mitton

Mar 11, 2007, 10:34:20 AM3/11/07

Thanks for the pointers. This appears to be the same as the AllTel
link in your first post. I like this load as it will allow
simultaneous (?) bridged and router mode like the newer 6520.

The only problem is it still won't allow 5Meg on my connection. There
is definetly something missing here. I hope I can find it.

Are there any prefered DSL modems that work compatibly with Sympatico
that I could look for on EBay? I'm interested in something
compatible, reliable and hackable. I really liked my old original
Alcatel Home ... it was really hackable!

Thanks again!

JF Mezei

Mar 11, 2007, 4:05:23 PM3/11/07
Doug Mitton wrote:
> Are there any prefered DSL modems that work compatibly with Sympatico
> that I could look for on EBay? I'm interested in something
> compatible, reliable and hackable. I really liked my old original
> Alcatel Home ... it was really hackable!

My current ISP is currently in love with SpeedTouch products from Thompson.

I bought a 516 as part of a group buy with discounted price. I have not plugged
it in the DSL line yet since I am still studying its configuration capabilities.
It has a Web interface but also an extensive CLI.

I am not sure what you mean by "hackable", but there are people who play all
sort of games to tweak those modem/routers to the point of changing preferences
for higher speed in favour of higher signal to noise.

At the CLI level, there are tons of features that I have to learn how to
disable. The modem is clearly aimed at the teenage gamer market, but it appears
that its core sofware is common with enterprise versions of the modem. So by
removing all the game definitions etc etc, I suspect the modem can become a
serious unit.

I am in no rush to put this in production since I have a working setup. The
documentation includes a whole lot of CLI commands syntax, but not much of a
general overview of the CLI. So this is an interesting learning challenge.

Malcolm Ferguson

Mar 12, 2007, 5:32:26 PM3/12/07
JF Mezei wrote:
> My current ISP is currently in love with SpeedTouch products from
> Thompson. I bought a 516 as part of a group buy with discounted price.
>
> At the CLI level, there are tons of features that I have to learn how
> to disable. The modem is clearly aimed at the teenage gamer market,
> but it appears that its core sofware is common with enterprise
> versions of the modem. So by removing all the game definitions etc
> etc, I suspect the modem can become a serious unit.

Removing the port definitions for games that are in the config file to
make it easier for gamers to setup their modem (i.e. they don't have to
figure out the port numbers) will make it a more serious modem? Perhaps
you could just rename them to more serious names, but whatever you do,
don't assign them to an device on the network lest you make things lest
serious!

So what about the adult gamer market - are they mature enough to add
their own port definitions to the config file?

Malc

JF Mezei

Mar 12, 2007, 8:03:06 PM3/12/07
Malcolm Ferguson wrote:
> Removing the port definitions for games that are in the config file to
> make it easier for gamers to setup their modem (i.e. they don't have to
> figure out the port numbers) will make it a more serious modem?

I only enable what I need enabled. I don't want stray
ports/applications/protocols opened on an internet facing device (or any device
for that matter)

This is the "windows" mentality of providing a fully configured device with
everything started by default. Makes it easy for people to just plug and play.
But from a network security popint of view, it isn't the correct approach.

Malcolm Ferguson

Mar 12, 2007, 8:35:55 PM3/12/07
JF Mezei wrote:
> I only enable what I need enabled. I don't want stray
> ports/applications/protocols opened on an internet facing device (or
> any device for that matter)
>

> This is the "windows" mentality of providing a fully configured device
> with everything started by default. Makes it easy for people to just
> plug and play. But from a network security popint of view, it isn't
> the correct approach.

Your router came with ports forwarded? To which device/IP address on
the LAN?

You're absolutely right that services shouldn't be running by default.
If somebody can hack/crach your router to the point that they can use a
few rules in a config file to enable port forwarding, I think it's
already game over for you and the presence or not of the rules will make
no difference.

This "windows mentality" to which you allude is common to many OSes.
I've seen numerous Linux distros over the years come with more services,
and more powerful services installed and enabled than you'd see on a
Windows machine - how many desktops need databases, web servers, finger
daemons, DNS servers, etc? I guess you haven't used Windows Server
2003, which goes a long way to reducing running services.

Malc

Doug Mitton

Mar 16, 2007, 7:29:15 AM3/16/07

Any ideas how I activate the password for Telnet? The readings seem
to indicate that is the only way to access the low level features that
will turn on the DSL+ features.

I tried the utility from DSLReports (SpeedStream5200FTP.zip) but I
keep getting an error message that SendSnap.dll is not found, no
matter where I put it. It is included in the archive so I don't know
why I get that error message.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12533

TIA!

Doug Mitton

JF Mezei

Mar 16, 2007, 4:37:51 PM3/16/07
Doug Mitton wrote:
> Any ideas how I activate the password for Telnet?

Normally, you would use the same username/passowrd combination for telnet, FTP
and web access.

Doug Mitton

Mar 16, 2007, 8:24:15 PM3/16/07

Sorry about the second post. The first one didn't make it through
teranews.com (free account) in 24 hours. So I tried it again. After
about 5 hours without it showing up I sent an email to the help
account and now here it is.

At least I know they are listening.

Doug Mitton

Mar 16, 2007, 8:25:51 PM3/16/07
JF Mezei <jfmezei...@vaxination.ca> wrote:

It doesn't work. And the link I posted is to a utility that is
supposed to resolve the problem ... and it doesn't work.