Sympatico Email: "Your email service has been upgraded!"

Doug Mitton

Nov 6, 2007, 7:22:44 AM11/6/07
Has anyone else received this email in the last little while?

A friend received it about a month ago and I got a "panic" phone call
that she could no longer access her "extra/family" email accounts,
though her primary account appeared to work just fine.

Regardless, I just received my "email" this morning.

Now I have to go through and see what working and whats not.

Has anyone called to see what the story is?
http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

chuckcar

Nov 6, 2007, 11:20:45 AM11/6/07
Doug Mitton <doug_...@hotmail.x.com> wrote in

> Has anyone else received this email in the last little while?
>
> A friend received it about a month ago and I got a "panic" phone call
> that she could no longer access her "extra/family" email accounts,
> though her primary account appeared to work just fine.
>
> Regardless, I just received my "email" this morning.
>
> Now I have to go through and see what working and whats not.
>
> Has anyone called to see what the story is?

Has the friend talked to anyone at Sympatico that "sold" them anything?
That's generally the way - not unlike those door-to-door people asking
to see your hydro bill for no stated reason.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Tony

Nov 6, 2007, 2:11:34 PM11/6/07
I can answer that one for him, no he hasn't. You just keep on using pop1
and they think you've been with them since the days of 2.2 symmetrical
adsl.

Doug Mitton

Nov 6, 2007, 4:57:53 PM11/6/07
You seem to be correct!

No one admits to "agreeing" to anyone on the phone! My friend said
she didn't either BUT I think she may have logged into the webmail
link in the email and that may have initiated the change.

Any way, I've tried all the "family" email addresses and they still
seem to work via pop6 (in my case) so we'll see if that changes or
not.

Sympatico is such a pain!

Tony <To...@TheDeli.Sandwich> wrote:

chuckcar

Nov 7, 2007, 4:36:05 PM11/7/07

> You seem to be correct!
>
> No one admits to "agreeing" to anyone on the phone! My friend said
> she didn't either BUT I think she may have logged into the webmail
> link in the email and that may have initiated the change.
>
> Any way, I've tried all the "family" email addresses and they still
> seem to work via pop6 (in my case) so we'll see if that changes or
> not.
>
> Sympatico is such a pain!

If you're using pop6, you've been changed already making the point nil.
the standard pop mail is pop2.

Doug Mitton

Nov 8, 2007, 7:44:22 AM11/8/07
Doug Mitton <doug_...@hotmail.x.com> wrote:

>Has anyone else received this email in the last little while?
>
>A friend received it about a month ago and I got a "panic" phone call
>that she could no longer access her "extra/family" email accounts,
>though her primary account appeared to work just fine.
>
>Regardless, I just received my "email" this morning.
>
>Now I have to go through and see what working and whats not.
>
>Has anyone called to see what the story is?

Update!

It appears they are doing each "family member" account one at a time.
I thought (from the first email) that they were doing the whole
account. Regardless, I'm still getting emails every few days updating
the individual accounts ... they still work with the POP6 settings
though (so far)!

Doug Mitton

Nov 8, 2007, 11:13:02 AM11/8/07
chuckcar <ch...@nil.car> wrote:

Err, I thought the NEW accounts used smtphm.sympatico.ca and ssl?!?!
Thats what I had to use when a friend got hit by this a few weeks ago.

chuckcar

Nov 8, 2007, 3:59:58 PM11/8/07

> chuckcar <ch...@nil.car> wrote:
>
>>Doug Mitton <doug_...@hotmail.x.com> wrote in
>>
>>> You seem to be correct!
>>>
>>> No one admits to "agreeing" to anyone on the phone! My friend said
>>> she didn't either BUT I think she may have logged into the webmail
>>> link in the email and that may have initiated the change.
>>>
>>> Any way, I've tried all the "family" email addresses and they still
>>> seem to work via pop6 (in my case) so we'll see if that changes or
>>> not.
>>>
>>> Sympatico is such a pain!
>>
>>If you're using pop6, you've been changed already making the point
>>nil. the standard pop mail is pop2.
>
> Err, I thought the NEW accounts used smtphm.sympatico.ca and ssl?!?!
> Thats what I had to use when a friend got hit by this a few weeks ago.

Only if there's three different types of servers. If you use
pop#.sympatico.ca where # is a digit, and the same with
smtp#.sympatico.ca, you're using the original system, otherwise they've
changed you. Those servers are pop2. I've never really checked into
whether there actually *is* such a thing as pop6 or if it's just a
buzzword to make it sound better however.

Ank

Nov 8, 2007, 6:05:54 PM11/8/07
chuckcar wrote on 08. November 2007:

> Only if there's three different types of servers. If you use
> pop#.sympatico.ca where # is a digit, and the same with
> smtp#.sympatico.ca, you're using the original system, otherwise they've
> changed you. Those servers are pop2. I've never really checked into
> whether there actually *is* such a thing as pop6 or if it's just a
> buzzword to make it sound better however.

What's with "pophm.sympatico.ca"?
--
Ank

chuckcar

Nov 9, 2007, 12:05:55 AM11/9/07
Ank <a...@spamfence.net> wrote in news:87abpol...@usenet.ankman.de:

Those are the Microsoft/Webmail pop6 accounts that they are trying to
get people to switch to. I don't know anything else aside from the fact
that people have *lots* more trouble getting their mail with them than
with pop2.

Mike Robinson

Nov 9, 2007, 2:04:35 AM11/9/07
pop6 and pop2 are BOTH on the same IP address....

Madonna

Nov 9, 2007, 2:53:06 AM11/9/07

hm = HotMail

Tony

Nov 9, 2007, 4:42:48 AM11/9/07
hm = Horse Meat

Warren Oates

Nov 9, 2007, 8:27:37 AM11/9/07
In article <Xns99E2A2C141...@127.0.0.1>,
chuckcar <ch...@nil.car> wrote:

> Only if there's three different types of servers. If you use
> pop#.sympatico.ca where # is a digit, and the same with
> smtp#.sympatico.ca, you're using the original system, otherwise they've
> changed you. Those servers are pop2. I've never really checked into
> whether there actually *is* such a thing as pop6 or if it's just a
> buzzword to make it sound better however.

Chuck, those numbers don't denote the protocol, they're just the numbers
that Sympatico gave to their servers to identify them. The old protocol
was POP3 (unencrypted); the new one is POP3 with SSL enabled. All you
have to do is change your mailer settings. Of course, you need a mail
program that supports SSL.
--
W. Oates

Doug Mitton

Nov 9, 2007, 6:40:48 PM11/9/07
Doug Mitton <doug_...@hotmail.x.com> wrote:

>Doug Mitton <doug_...@hotmail.x.com> wrote:
>
>>Has anyone else received this email in the last little while?
>>
>>A friend received it about a month ago and I got a "panic" phone call
>>that she could no longer access her "extra/family" email accounts,
>>though her primary account appeared to work just fine.
>>
>>Regardless, I just received my "email" this morning.
>>
>>Now I have to go through and see what working and whats not.
>>
>>Has anyone called to see what the story is?
>
>Update!
>
>It appears they are doing each "family member" account one at a time.
>I thought (from the first email) that they were doing the whole
>account. Regardless, I'm still getting emails every few days updating
>the individual accounts ... they still work with the POP6 settings
>though (so far)!

(I'm not sure if anyone else has been hit by this BUT I've been a
Sympatico HS customer since Sept 2000 and have managed to dodge this
change to HotMail ... seems the choice has gone.)

Update after 3 days:

Well, it seems my first "family" (extra) account changed this
afternoon. All of a sudden it can't be accessed through pop6.

- Had to change the servers to:
pophm.sympatico.ca SSL port 995
smtphm.sympatico.ca SSL port 25
- Had to change the credentials from b1xxxxx to the email address.
- Had to log in to the web mail server the first time to change the
password (automatically prompted).

I haven't used the SMTP server settings yet as I have my own server
that I use, so the instructions for that may not yet be complete.

So far my primary email account hasn't changed.

Ank

Nov 9, 2007, 6:54:50 PM11/9/07

I set up a friend's (Linux via fetchmail) computer with it. He is
Sympatico subscriber and has an email address @sympatico.ca. Works
that way. Also with Thunderbird mail client and probably others.

Yes, somehow it is all Hotmail I believe...
--
Ank

chuckcar

Nov 9, 2007, 11:31:35 PM11/9/07
"Mike Robinson" <goui...@gmail.com> wrote in

*requoting* as should have been done originally:

> chuckcar wrote on 08. November 2007:
>>
>> Only if there's three different types of servers. If you use
>> pop#.sympatico.ca where # is a digit, and the same with
>> smtp#.sympatico.ca, you're using the original system, otherwise
>> they've changed you. Those servers are pop2. I've never really
>> checked into whether there actually *is* such a thing as pop6 or if
>> it's just a buzzword to make it sound better however.
>
> What's with "pophm.sympatico.ca"?

> pop6 and pop2 are BOTH on the same IP address....

Where did I say *anything about pop6.sympatico.ca and pop2.sympatico.ca
having different IP addresses (or about their IP addresses at all for
that matter). I was refering (as was plain from the *removed* context)
to the pop# vs. pophm servers. For reference (obviously from a ping of
each):

Pinging pop1.sympatico.ca [209.226.175.83]
Pinging pop2.sympatico.ca [209.226.175.83]
Pinging pop3.sympatico.ca [209.226.175.83]
Pinging pop6.sympatico.ca [209.226.175.83]

Below done with pophm.sympatico.ca using 4.2.1.1

Pinging pop.bc.hotmail.com [65.54.191.188]

Notes: neither pop4 or pop5 exist. All the pop# have the same IP address
and the pophm is in microsofts IP range even has a "hotmail" name
whereas the pop# servers (yes there *is* more than one) give a reverse
DNS lookup in Toronto and owned by Bell. Sympatico refers to the pophm
as a pop6 server. *That* is what I was refering to, not to the last
server in the above group.

Finally, unless you *know* what you are reading, read the entire thread
before replying and always use inline quoting when using usenet.

Me

Nov 18, 2007, 2:54:01 PM11/18/07
they changed my account last week too, was using pop1/smtp1 now using
pophm/smtphm. I didn't change until it stopped working one day last week.
The email they send with the instructions is misleading - I never use "web
mail" so I went straight to the e-mail configuration instructions. well, the
e-mail instructions fail to clearly mention that it won't work until you
first go to the web mail and change your e-mail password and set up the Web
mail. This has to be done before you can configure/use your e-mail software.

"Doug Mitton" <doug_...@hotmail.x.com> wrote in message