Folk Festival tickets

瀏覽次數:2 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

b...@sogetthis.com

未讀,
2007年3月12日 上午8:52:542007/3/12
收件者:
Having missed out last year for the first time, we're determined to
get tickets.

I understand that tickets can be purchased in person from the Corn
Exchange from Sunday 6th of May.

I'm just looking for some tips. Is it feasible to come down on say
early Sunday morning and expect to get a ticket? Will we have to queue
for most of the day?

Sorry for all the questions - just don't want to miss out on our
Cambridge fix this year :-)

Thanks

Tim Ward

未讀,
2007年3月12日 中午12:09:452007/3/12
收件者:
<b...@sogetthis.com> wrote in message

> Having missed out last year for the first time, we're determined to
> get tickets.

My suggestion - sell them *all* on ebay - has not been taken up. (This
would: maximise the income for the council; remove all queuing problems, as
ebay has more than enough infrastructure to cope with an issue of this size;
and ensure that anyone who really wanted to attend could do so, simply by
choosing to pay more than anyone else for their ticket. So I thought this
idea was a winner, however others disagreed with me.)

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb

Jack Jones

未讀,
2007年3月12日 中午12:39:302007/3/12
收件者:
* Tim Ward wrote:
> <b...@sogetthis.com> wrote in message
>> Having missed out last year for the first time, we're determined to
>> get tickets.
>
> My suggestion - sell them *all* on ebay - has not been taken up.

Don't worry they'll all end up on there anyway. The touts are probably
already thinking of their summer holiday(s)

Tim Ward

未讀,
2007年3月12日 中午12:39:202007/3/12
收件者:
"Jack Jones" <jack....@zxcv231.co.uk> wrote in message

Yes I know. That's why I think the council should put them there in the
first place, so that Cambridge tax payers get the money rather than the
touts.

Kieran Mansley

未讀,
2007年3月12日 中午12:45:032007/3/12
收件者:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:39:20 +0000, Tim Ward wrote:

> "Jack Jones" <jack....@zxcv231.co.uk> wrote in message
>>* Tim Ward wrote:
>>> <b...@sogetthis.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> My suggestion - sell them *all* on ebay - has not been taken up.
>>
>> Don't worry they'll all end up on there anyway. The touts are probably
>> already thinking of their summer holiday(s)
>
> Yes I know. That's why I think the council should put them there in the
> first place, so that Cambridge tax payers get the money rather than the
> touts.

So what's the reason given by the people who don't agree with you for not
doing this?

Kieran

Jack Jones

未讀,
2007年3月12日 中午12:46:222007/3/12
收件者:
* Tim Ward wrote:
> "Jack Jones" <jack....@zxcv231.co.uk> wrote in message
>> * Tim Ward wrote:
>>> <b...@sogetthis.com> wrote in message
>>> My suggestion - sell them *all* on ebay - has not been taken up.
>> Don't worry they'll all end up on there anyway. The touts are probably
>> already thinking of their summer holiday(s)
>
> Yes I know. That's why I think the council should put them there in the
> first place, so that Cambridge tax payers get the money rather than the
> touts.

The post I made was a sarky one. I'm as annoyed as you are that your
suggestion wasn't given more thought, being a Cambridge tax payer myself :(

Jack Jones

未讀,
2007年3月12日 中午12:46:502007/3/12
收件者:

Ignorance.

Brian L Johnson

未讀,
2007年3月12日 中午12:58:432007/3/12
收件者:
Tim Ward wrote

> <b...@sogetthis.com> wrote in message
> > Having missed out last year for the first time, we're determined to
> > get tickets.
>
> My suggestion - sell them *all* on ebay - has not been taken up. (This
> would: maximise the income for the council; remove all queuing problems, as
> ebay has more than enough infrastructure to cope with an issue of this size;
> and ensure that anyone who really wanted to attend could do so, simply by
> choosing to pay more than anyone else for their ticket. So I thought this
> idea was a winner, however others disagreed with me.)

As a 'PayPal abstainer', that would mean that I couldn't get tickets. :(

Unless, of course, I used an intermediary of some sort. The City
Council, perhaps.

--
-blj-

Eleanor Blair

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午1:01:022007/3/12
收件者:
Brian L Johnson wrote:

>As a 'PayPal abstainer', that would mean that I couldn't get tickets. :(

Have you lost your cheque book? Selling stuff on ebay doesn't
necessarily mean only accepting paypal (although some sellers choose to
do so).

--
ele...@the-blairs.co.uk http://lnr.livejournal.com/

John Burnham

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午1:05:042007/3/12
收件者:
Brian L Johnson wrote:

> As a 'PayPal abstainer', that would mean that I couldn't get tickets. :(

You don't need to use PayPal to buy from eBay. Unless, of course, you
object to the fact that eBay and PayPal are the same people these days.

Tim Ward

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午1:07:312007/3/12
收件者:
"Kieran Mansley" <kie...@NOSPAM.gtemail.net> wrote in message

> So what's the reason given by the people who don't agree with you for not
> doing this?

They didn't think I was being serious and just laughed. I didn't push it,
not being sure whether I was being serious myself.

DavidM

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午1:11:122007/3/12
收件者:
Jack Jones wrote, On 12/03/2007 16:46:

>>> Yes I know. That's why I think the council should put them there in the
>>> first place, so that Cambridge tax payers get the money rather than the
>>> touts.
>> So what's the reason given by the people who don't agree with you for not
>> doing this?
>
> Ignorance.

I've often wondered how well this could work, it would certainly cut out
the middle man, however it would introduce lots of problems.
- Assuming The FF is aimed at Cambridge residents primarily, selling
tickets at the Corn Exchange gives priority to people actually in
Cambridge. Selling over eBay would remove the local bias and result in
the majority of tickets going to "outsiders". Imagine the increase in
traffic chaos on Festival weekend. I live on Cherry Hinton Road, it is
_chaos_.
- Honest Cambridge folk know that a bit of cueing outside the Corn
Exchange should result in getting a ticket at a sensible price. However
you are up against people too lazy to cue and unnaturally keen to attend
when competing on eBay.

How about, fixed price sales through eBay. Take advantage of their
infrastructure to sell all the tickets on the chosen Sunday. Then force
people to visit the Corn Exchange in person to collect the ticket and
show suitable ID that matches name of bidder. Same ID must be shown at
gate on festival weekend.

--
DavidM new...@SPAMdjmorgan.org.uk
www.djmorgan.org.uk

disko....@googlemail.com

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午1:12:032007/3/12
收件者:
On 12 Mar, 16:09, "Tim Ward" <t...@brettward.co.uk> wrote:
> My suggestion - sell them *all* on ebay - has not been taken up.

Ah, a festival for the richest in the land to gather together in their
finery and not have to worry about the plebs, oiks and proles spoiling
the view. A utopia if ever I heard of one!

> I thought this idea was a winner, however others disagreed with me.

Thank goodness for that!

Chris

Mary Ann

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午1:14:122007/3/12
收件者:

I wasn't in the queue last year, but I heard that everyone that was,
did get a ticket.
A friend of mine queued for most of the day, but people were pretty
friendly and didn't mind her popping off to
the loo or to get some lunch (she then of course did the same for
others).

Good luck,
Mary Ann

Brian L Johnson

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午1:27:542007/3/12
收件者:
Eleanor Blair wrote

> Brian L Johnson wrote:
> >
> >As a 'PayPal abstainer', that would mean that I couldn't get tickets. :(
>
> Have you lost your cheque book? Selling stuff on ebay doesn't
> necessarily mean only accepting paypal (although some sellers choose to
> do so).

Er...

Y'know, I can't really remember the last time I used my chequebook.

It's probably in my drawer... somewhere. <g>

--
-blj-

Tim Ward

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午1:36:052007/3/12
收件者:
"Brian L Johnson" <no.e...@address.invalid> wrote in message

> Y'know, I can't really remember the last time I used my chequebook.

Lots of things. Personal cheques:

(1) The schools are forever wanting cheques for all sorts of things.
(2) Similarly providers of music lessons and suchlike.
(3) Window cleaner.
(4) Dealings between landlords and tenants.
(5) Paying various invoices that come in the post - if they prefer a cheque
to a credit card I don't mind sending them one.
(6) We've never usually got the cash for the ironing service.

Plus even where the ability to make a payment electronically exists in
theory it's often quicker just to write a cheque, especially for a one-off.
Plus some back accounts used to have unacceptable Ts&Cs for internet access,
eg you were personally liable without limit for all losses and damage to
their systems, so I've refused to sign up for these.

Business:

(7) Er, everything, basically. Can't be bothered to get a company credit
card.

Brian L Johnson

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午1:37:182007/3/12
收件者:
John Burnham wrote

No, it doesn't really bother me that they're actually the same
organisation. I'd just prefer to pay with a credit card.

The few items that I've looked at recently haven't offered that option.

--
-blj-

Roland Perry

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午1:40:572007/3/12
收件者:
In message <55lftgF...@mid.individual.net>, at 17:11:12 on Mon, 12
Mar 2007, DavidM <new...@SPAMdjmorgan.org.uk> remarked:

>Imagine the increase in traffic chaos on Festival weekend. I live on
>Cherry Hinton Road, it is _chaos_.

A P&R is beyond the wit of the organisers, I suppose.
--
Roland Perry

Roland Perry

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午1:42:552007/3/12
收件者:
In message <55lhf1F...@mid.individual.net>, at 17:36:05 on Mon, 12
Mar 2007, Tim Ward <t...@brettward.co.uk> remarked:

>"Brian L Johnson" <no.e...@address.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> Y'know, I can't really remember the last time I used my chequebook.
>
>Lots of things. Personal cheques:
>
>(1) The schools are forever wanting cheques for all sorts of things.

That'll be for state education which the law says must be free at the
point of supply, apart from all the activities that apparently won't
happen unless "enough" parents make "voluntary" contributions :(

--
Roland Perry

Mark T.B. Carroll

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午3:46:132007/3/12
收件者:
"Tim Ward" <t...@brettward.co.uk> writes:
(snip)

> My suggestion - sell them *all* on ebay - has not been taken up. (This
> would: maximise the income for the council; remove all queuing problems, as
> ebay has more than enough infrastructure to cope with an issue of this size;
> and ensure that anyone who really wanted to attend could do so, simply by
> choosing to pay more than anyone else for their ticket. So I thought this
> idea was a winner, however others disagreed with me.)

Why not? What reasons did they have? It does indeed sound like a good idea.

-- Mark

Paul Rudin

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午3:57:542007/3/12
收件者:
Brian L Johnson <no.e...@address.invalid> writes:

> John Burnham wrote
>
>> Brian L Johnson wrote:
>> >
>> > As a 'PayPal abstainer', that would mean that I couldn't get tickets. :(
>>
>> You don't need to use PayPal to buy from eBay. Unless, of course, you
>> object to the fact that eBay and PayPal are the same people these days.
>
> No, it doesn't really bother me that they're actually the same
> organisation. I'd just prefer to pay with a credit card.

Well - if the council can accept credit card payments there's no
reason why they can't sell on ebay and accept payment directly via
credit card is there?

Marcus Streets

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午4:16:122007/3/12
收件者:
Tim Ward wrote:
> "Kieran Mansley" <kie...@NOSPAM.gtemail.net> wrote in message
>> So what's the reason given by the people who don't agree with you for not
>> doing this?
>
> They didn't think I was being serious and just laughed. I didn't push it,
> not being sure whether I was being serious myself.

Oddly we have a special word tout for those who buy and sell tickets.
In every other form of trade they are called merchants or if they work
in 'the City' arbitragers and seen as pillars of the community rather
than something nasty in the woodshed.

Selling on E-bay would establish the true price and raise maximum income
for the organiser and reduce the hassle for those buying - but of course
disenfranchise those without internet access.

I think that their Dutch auction rules are the one you want.

I believe that on E-bay you can restrict the area to which you are
prepared to ship - I do not know if they would let you restrict it to a
city.

If you do not like e-bay I am sure you could arrange your own auction
site and then you could work out how to handle postal bids.

Marcus

Michael Hoffman

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午4:21:372007/3/12
收件者:
Marcus Streets wrote:

> Oddly we have a special word tout for those who buy and sell tickets.
> In every other form of trade they are called merchants or if they work
> in 'the City' arbitragers and seen as pillars of the community rather
> than something nasty in the woodshed.

Did HM Treasury think arbitrageur George Soros was a pillar of the
community on Black Wednesday?
--
Michael Hoffman

Brian L Johnson

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午6:18:582007/3/12
收件者:
Tim Ward wrote

> "Brian L Johnson" <no.e...@address.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > Y'know, I can't really remember the last time I used my chequebook.
>
> Lots of things. Personal cheques:
>
> (1) The schools are forever wanting cheques for all sorts of things.
> (2) Similarly providers of music lessons and suchlike.
> (3) Window cleaner.
> (4) Dealings between landlords and tenants.
> (5) Paying various invoices that come in the post - if they prefer a cheque
> to a credit card I don't mind sending them one.
> (6) We've never usually got the cash for the ironing service.

Well, I don't have any of those services, so I guess that's why I don't
use my chequebook. :)

> Plus even where the ability to make a payment electronically exists in
> theory it's often quicker just to write a cheque, especially for a one-off.

I've just found my chequebook and, having blown the dust off it, I can
see that I paid a plasterer a vast qty of money about a year ago.

I've since taught myself to plaster, so that's one less reason for
writing a cheque. :)

> Plus some back accounts used to have unacceptable Ts&Cs for internet access,
> eg you were personally liable without limit for all losses and damage to
> their systems, so I've refused to sign up for these.

Yes, I would too.

> Business:
>
> (7) Er, everything, basically. Can't be bothered to get a company credit
> card.

Okay.

--
-blj-

Brian L Johnson

未讀,
2007年3月12日 下午6:20:492007/3/12
收件者:
Paul Rudin wrote

I guess not. :)

--
-blj-

Colin Rosenstiel

未讀,
2007年3月12日 晚上10:04:002007/3/12
收件者:
In article <dn$AJyzpC...@perry.co.uk>, rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland
Perry) wrote:

Not at all. There is one. But the wit of those attending may be another
matter.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

In article <1173703974.5...@q40g2000cwq.googlegroups.com>,
b...@sogetthis.com () wrote:

> Having missed out last year for the first time, we're determined to
> get tickets.
>
> I understand that tickets can be purchased in person from the Corn
> Exchange from Sunday 6th of May.
>
> I'm just looking for some tips. Is it feasible to come down on say
> early Sunday morning and expect to get a ticket? Will we have to
> queue for most of the day?
>
> Sorry for all the questions - just don't want to miss out on our
> Cambridge fix this year :-)

I am advised:

Folk Festival Tickets Update
There will be twice as many phone lines as last year. Personal sales
will continue, but will be open to residents a day earlier than for
outsider purchasers (Saturday May 5th and Sunday May 6th respectively).

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Bandicoot

未讀,
2007年3月12日 晚上10:54:062007/3/12
收件者:
"Tim Ward" <t...@brettward.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Jack Jones" <jack....@zxcv231.co.uk> wrote in message
> >* Tim Ward wrote:
> >> <b...@sogetthis.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> My suggestion - sell them *all* on ebay - has not been taken up.
> >
> > Don't worry they'll all end up on there anyway. The touts are probably
> > already thinking of their summer holiday(s)
>
> Yes I know. That's why I think the council should put them there in the
> first place, so that Cambridge tax payers get the money rather than the
> touts.

*all*? Are "*all*" folkies also on the internet?

I agree it's a pretty good idea in principle, but it does contribute to the
general 'ghetto-ising' of anyone who doesn't have internet access - this is
a real two speed society issue these days...

Peter

Sarah Brown

未讀,
2007年3月13日 清晨5:29:142007/3/13
收件者:
In article <55lhf1F...@mid.individual.net>,

Tim Ward <t...@brettward.co.uk> wrote:
>"Brian L Johnson" <no.e...@address.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> Y'know, I can't really remember the last time I used my chequebook.
>
>Lots of things. Personal cheques:

Paying the milk bill is my usual one.

Tim Ward

未讀,
2007年3月13日 中午12:27:202007/3/13
收件者:
<b...@sogetthis.com> wrote in message
> Having missed out last year for the first time, we're determined to
> get tickets.
>
> I understand that tickets can be purchased in person from the Corn
> Exchange from Sunday 6th of May.

Further details (no, this doesn't instantly make perfect sense to me, but
maybe it will if you work at it):

"Phone lines - there will be more phone lines (probably 6). This is possible
due to the ending of postal bookings which wasn't efficient

On-line - 40% on line planned.

Personal callers: a) tickets for residents will go on sale Saturday 5 May
9am. 40% of a limited 1600 will be available on line, rest on phones and
queue

Full festival: Sunday 6th, 40% of 6400 will be available on line, leaves
approx 3840 weekend on sale at BO (phones & queue)"

maxb...@cix.compulink.co.uk

未讀,
2007年3月13日 下午1:10:332007/3/13
收件者:
In article <memo.2007031...@a01-09-5548.rosenstiel.co.uk>,
rosen...@cix.co.uk (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

> Folk Festival Tickets Update
> There will be twice as many phone lines as last year. Personal sales
> will continue, but will be open to residents a day earlier than for
> outsider purchasers (Saturday May 5th and Sunday May 6th respectively).

Good to see my attending the relevant meeting in the autumn wasn't a
complete waste of time! The suggestion that residents can get tickets a
day earlier came from Cambridge residents who were in last year's queue.

Remember that residents have to produce proof of residence (a poll card in
the case of my son), so a personal visit to the Box Office is
effectively mandatory.

Max Boyce.

Kevin Symonds

未讀,
2007年3月18日 清晨5:54:082007/3/18
收件者:
You can pay via Paypal using a credit card for a one off payment without
having to sign up.

Kevin

Brian L Johnson

未讀,
2007年3月18日 清晨6:17:192007/3/18
收件者:
Kevin Symonds wrote

> You can pay via Paypal using a credit card for a one off payment without
> having to sign up.

I didn't know that. Thanks.

--
-blj-

Ben Hutchings

未讀,
2007年3月18日 下午2:27:292007/3/18
收件者:

Are you sure? Although it isn't made obvious, many PayPal accounts can
receive credit card payments. The downside for the account holder is
that PayPal will take a merchant fee out of *all* payments into the
account.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Never attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by stupidity.

0 則新訊息